Reparations, Racism & Building a better Society

Reparations  

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

It's been pointed out Republicans have admitted to doing the very thing they're being accused of - vote suppression. But you will continue to avoid addressing it by bringing up other stuff that doesn't address that they've straight up admitted what they're doing. You do this on almost every post, so instead of typing all of this out every time, it's easier to use the emoji that shows I know you're avoiding answering.

So after those words, it sounds like you do not think that every legal voter still has the same right to legally vote and that there is plenty of time to get things in order to vote and plenty of time to vote once polls open for early voting since you didn’t address it.  

• Plus1 1

19 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

You do this quite often.  You act upset when someone joins a conversation.  You've done it to me a few times.  This is a message board with open discussions that anyone can partake in.  Just because you're having a conversation with Guy, doesn't mean others can't join in.  It's really how message boards work.

Sorry if I interjected myself into a conversation you were having with someone else.

Ummmm....upset is an interesting choice of words.  Kinda looks like this person joined the conversation then implies it’s weird for me to ask a question of said person.  So, in conclusion I may not be the correct person to speak to about how message boards work.  And no reason to apologize.  You did nothing wrong except assume an intent I didn’t have, make a claim about me that you didn’t back up, and I understand you don’t really mean the sorry anyways.  

If you don’t mind, Could we get back to the actual discussion instead of this?  

2 hours ago, knapplc said:

was talking about Republicans openly admitting suppressing minority votes.  You're asking me to respond to a conversation you're having with

• Plus1 1

Speaking of Republicans openly admitting suppressing minority votes, how about these Republicans openly admitting that they suppress minority votes.

Crazy, huh?!?

They admit privately that voter suppression is part of their strategy.

Justin Clark, a senior political adviser and senior counsel to Trump’s re-election campaign, made the remarks about voter suppression on 21 November as part of a wide-ranging discussion about strategies in the 2020 campaign, including more aggressive use of monitoring of polling places on election day in November 2020.

Traditionally it’s always been Republicans suppressing votes in places,” Clark said at the event. “Let’s start protecting our voters. We know where they are ... Let’s start playing offense a little bit. That’s what you’re going to see in 2020. It’s going to be a much bigger program, a much more aggressive program, a much better-funded program.”

...and they've been doing it for a long time.

Former Florida GOP leaders say voter suppression was reason they pushed new election law

Wayne Bertsch, who handles local and legislative races for Republicans, said he knew targeting Democrats was the goal.

“In the races I was involved in in 2008, when we started seeing the increase of turnout and the turnout operations that the Democrats were doing in early voting, it certainly sent a chill down our spines. And in 2008, it didn’t have the impact that we were afraid of. It got close, but it wasn’t the impact that they had this election cycle,” Bertsch said, referring to the fact that Democrats picked up seven legislative seats in Florida in 2012 despite the early voting limitations.

Another GOP consultant, who did not want to be named, also confirmed that influential consultants to the Republican Party of Florida were intent on beating back Democratic turnout in early voting after 2008.

In 2008 Democrats, especially African-Americans, turned out in unprecedented numbers for President Barack Obama, many of them casting ballots during 14 early voting days. In Palm Beach County, 61.2 percent of all early voting ballots were cast by Democrats that year, compared with 18.7 percent by Republicans.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Because it’s not suppression.  I’ve told you why it’s not, your choosing to believe only one group of people can’t seem to follow the voting laws and I’m stating they are very well capable of doing so.  Why is that hard for you to understand unless you have a desire for grievance politics?  

So the answer is no. There is no amount of evidence that will convince you voter suppression is an active and multi-faceted strategy across the GOP, even if a Republican electoral strategist explains it to your face.

Funny how the folks bemoaning cancel culture and grievance politics don't seem to mind shutting down polling sites in Black, Latino, and college heavy precincts.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
29 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

So the answer is no. There is no amount of evidence that will convince you voter suppression is an active and multi-faceted strategy across the GOP, even if a Republican electoral strategist explains it to your face.

Funny how the folks bemoaning cancel culture and grievance politics don't seem to mind shutting down polling sites in Black, Latino, and college heavy precincts.

So speaking of shutting down polling places, it makes sense to cross reference where polling places are being closed in counties and who controls and is in charge of the polling places in those counties.  

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

So speaking of shutting down polling places, it makes sense to cross reference where polling places are being closed in counties and who controls and is in charge of the polling places in those counties.  

No s#!t. That's why everyone is connecting the dots for you. It's why I provided links. It's why others show you stories with simple words and big pictures.

You can have as many cross references as you like. But you don't like. So this is over. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
3 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

No s#!t. That's why everyone is connecting the dots for you. It's why I provided links. It's why others show you stories with simple words and big pictures.

You can have as many cross references as you like. But you don't like. So this is over. 

Are you gonna just conveniently look away from the Democrat run counties like Fulton when bringing up polling place reductions. If polling places in Georgia are reduced in majority Democrat counties, then probably want to blame county election commissioners which would probably be Democrats. Same thing in Philly. 

People like you love to put all the blame on Republicans without knowing what’s actually going on in many of the localities. 

• Plus1 2
16 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

So after those words, it sounds like you do not think that every legal voter still has the same right to legally vote and that there is plenty of time to get things in order to vote and plenty of time to vote once polls open for early voting since you didn’t address it.  

It's very telling you continue to dodge and weave but not address that Republicans have admitted to voter suppression.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
53 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

It's very telling you continue to dodge and weave but not address that Republicans have admitted to voter suppression.

If the voting laws are legal and there is plenty of time allowed for people to vote, i.e...polls open weeks prior to Election Day, Voter ID is free, and everyone plays by the same rules on a mid-term election that’s 1 1/2 years away, a Presidential election that’s 3 1/2 years away so people have plenty of time to figure things out it’s not my fault nor any politicians fault if people choose to suppress their own vote.  Get mad at those individuals.  If the voting changes are deemed illegal then that’s a different story.  If states charge for the voter ID, I will disagree with that.  

I mean, do people need their hand held to get to the voting booth now a days so it’s not considered voter suppression.  Maybe you should ask people why they want to suppress their own vote by not getting to the voting booth when they have 3 weeks to do so and 3 1/2 years to plan for it.  
I’m sure that was telling. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
4 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

If the voting laws are legal and there is plenty of time allowed for people to vote, i.e...polls open weeks prior to Election Day, Voter ID is free, and everyone plays by the same rules on a mid-term election that’s 1 1/2 years away, a Presidential election that’s 3 1/2 years away so people have plenty of time to figure things out it’s not my fault nor any politicians fault if people choose to suppress their own vote.  Get mad at those individuals.  If the voting changes are deemed illegal then that’s a different story.  If states charge for the voter ID, I will disagree with that.  

I mean, do people need their hand held to get to the voting booth now a days so it’s not considered voter suppression.  Maybe you should ask people why they want to suppress their own vote by not getting to the voting booth when they have 3 weeks to do so and 3 1/2 years to plan for it.  

They've specifically said that their intent is voter suppression. I've provided quotes explicitly stating that's the intent behind these changes. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

8 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I thought you were for making voting easier?  Maybe I’m getting you confused with another poster.

If you are, in fact, the person that would be okay with making Election Day a holiday and allow weekend voting, how are you not against making voting harder?  Even if it makes it harder for everyone equally...

What problems will these equally added hoops solve?

• Plus1 2
33 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

So still not addressing the intent stated by the party you're desperately defending?

28 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I thought you were for making voting easier?  Maybe I’m getting you confused with another poster.

If you are, in fact, the person that would be okay with making Election Day a holiday and allow weekend voting, how are you not against making voting harder?  Even if it makes it harder for everyone equally...

What problems will these equally added hoops solve?

I would vote yes on election holiday, though if it’s not I don’t really care as I find time to vote regardless

I would vote yes on weekend voting if the county election board deemed they could afford it and find workers.  Either way I would find time to vote 

Im for following whatever legal State voting laws there are.  

What problems are being solved: on those two issues specifically only thing I can think of is if there are monetary and personnel challenges and that there has to be some timeframe set.  Otherwise, why not just open polling places 24 hrs a day 7 days a week the day after the conventions? 

Voter ID and signature match laws solve other problems. 

• Plus1 2
21 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

So still not addressing the intent stated by the party you're desperately defending?

I’m certainly not desperate, and have already stated my thoughts probably four times.  Feel free to keep asking though.  I’m quite certain Republicans would love less Democrats to show up to vote for the Democrat candidate as I’m quite certain that Democrats would love less Republicans to show up to vote for the Republican candidate. 
If Democrats want to suppress their own vote by not showing up sometime in a three to five week period then that’s on them.  Same goes for any Republican.  

It isn’t hard to vote.  

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1