Reparations, Racism & Building a better Society

Reparations  

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 3/8/2021 at 4:15 PM, Guy Chamberlin said:

Arguing that it's simple to get an ID lets you ignore that this strategic voter suppression is pretty ugly at the core, and few can deny its racist underpinnings with a straight face.  

Getting an ID to vote, having 3 1/2 years to do so with $1,400 plus kids money in stimulus money to pay the $20 paperwork fee (if there is one) is not a racist policy.  

How do these people sign up for Medicaid if they are eligible?  Medicare if they are eligible?  Doctors office when it says ID upon arrival?   I did say all of this with a straight face too.  

• Plus1 2

Just now, Archy1221 said:

How do these people sign up for Medicaid if they are eligible?  Medicare if they are eligible?  Doctors office when it says ID upon arrival?   I did say all of this with a straight face too.  

They don't. They are generally left out in the cold, literally.

• Plus1 2
14 minutes ago, deedsker said:

They don't. They are generally left out in the cold, literally.

So you are of the opinion that there is a good portion of the Medicare/Medicaid/snap benefit eligible people that choose to NOT sign up for those benefits because they don’t have ID yet would like to vote?  

• Plus1 2
13 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

So you are of the opinion that there is a good portion of the Medicare/Medicaid/snap benefit eligible people that choose to NOT sign up for those benefits because they don’t have ID yet would like to vote?  

11% of voting age people don't have licenses. So, yes, they wouldn't be able to sign up for such programs if ID were required.

https://www.brennancenter.org/sites/default/files/legacy/d/download_file_39242.pdf

• Plus1 1
20 minutes ago, deedsker said:

11% of voting age people don't have licenses. So, yes, they wouldn't be able to sign up for such programs if ID were required.

https://www.brennancenter.org/sites/default/files/legacy/d/download_file_39242.pdf

You don’t need a license to prove identification to sign up for those programs nor do you need a license to vote in order to satisfy the voter ID laws.  

• Plus1 2

58 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

You don’t need a license to prove identification to sign up for those programs nor do you need a license to vote in order to satisfy the voter ID laws.  

I've explained that to you before.  There are people who were born here legally but don't have birth certificates...etc.

6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I've explained that to you before.  There are people who were born here legally but don't have birth certificates...etc.

Ya I think you brought up a story of less than 10 cases of this if I’m not mistaken.  And that number will continue to decrease over a short amount of time.  I’m sure we could find an exception to those people.  I can’t remember how they worked and paid their taxes or collected benefits though without any sort of identification at all.  

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
3 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

So why would I need a voter ID law if I don't need ID to vote in the proposed law? That just seems dumb.

According to this only 10 states need no form of ID to vote. All others have some sort of voter ID laws.

https://www.brennancenter.org/our-work/research-reports/voting-laws-roundup-february-2021

1 hour ago, deedsker said:

Which 11% of people don't have. What is your point? You are going in circles. Unless you want everyone to get a government issued ID for free. I am happy with that.

I’m not talking in circles, you are just not understanding the conversation. You said 11% don’t have a license.  What’s your point exactly in stating that.

1) where did you get the 11% figure from cause I didn’t see it in your link and

2) what type of “license” does that figure represent. 

Voter ID’s are free to get I believe in states that require them.  I’ve said before they should be free.  It doesn’t require a drivers license.  People seem to be able to show proper ID when getting paid by an employer, signing up for Medicare/Medicaid/or SNAP, or going to the doctors office.  Why is it hard to show ID vote?  Why is it racist to require it?  Is it racist for a doctor to require it? 

• Plus1 2
22 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Getting an ID to vote, having 3 1/2 years to do so with $1,400 plus kids money in stimulus money to pay the $20 paperwork fee (if there is one) is not a racist policy.  

So just to be clear, you don't believe there is an active GOP strategy to use whatever means necessary to suppress the Black vote. 

4 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

So just to be clear, you don't believe there is an active GOP strategy to use whatever means necessary to suppress the Black vote. 

Correct.  This might be different in CA, but elsewhere Republicans have to abide by the same voting standards as any democrat.  

so I’m clear, you don’t believe Black voters are able to get a voter ID sometime in the next 3 1/2 years and then mark out some time during the 2-4 week (sometimes longer depending on the state) early voting period for the next Presidential election to vote in an election that is important to them?  

Same question can be asked of any demographic but you brought up Black voters so that’s my ask.  

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2
24 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

13 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Correct.

That's an odd belief, considering they've openly admitted to it.

• Plus1 2