Reparations, Racism & Building a better Society

Reparations  

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

40 minutes ago, knapplc said:

That's an odd belief, considering they've openly admitted to it.

54 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

so I’m clear, you don’t believe Black voters are able to get a voter ID sometime in the next 3 1/2 years and then mark out some time during the 2-4 week (sometimes longer depending on the state) early voting period for the next Presidential election to vote in an election that is important to them?  

I’ll give you the chance to answer the same question I gave to Guy. 

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

Correct.  This might be different in CA, but elsewhere Republicans have to abide by the same voting standards as any democrat.  

so I’m clear, you don’t believe Black voters are able to get a voter ID sometime in the next 3 1/2 years and then mark out some time during the 2-4 week (sometimes longer depending on the state) early voting period for the next Presidential election to vote in an election that is important to them?  

Same question can be asked of any demographic but you brought up Black voters so that’s my ask.  

So if any or all of us flood this thread with myriad examples, including the aforementioned admissions by Republicans that voter suppression is a huge part of their strategy, will you quit pretending that this is about how easy it is to get an ID?

My guess is "no" since we've already been around that block a few times, but let's try again:

https://news.berkeley.edu/2020/09/29/stacking-the-deck-how-the-gop-works-to-suppress-minority-voting/

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/mar/02/texas-polling-sites-closures-voting

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-locations/southern-u-s-states-have-closed-1200-polling-places-in-recent-years-rights-group-idUSKCN1VV09J

You can keep telling yourself this isn't wrong and un-American, but it is. 

Weird that you think "this might be different in California"  It is, but not in the way you think. 

49 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Feel free to give your input to the question posed instead of an emoji.  

It's been pointed out Republicans have admitted to doing the very thing they're being accused of - vote suppression. But you will continue to avoid addressing it by bringing up other stuff that doesn't address that they've straight up admitted what they're doing. You do this on almost every post, so instead of typing all of this out every time, it's easier to use the emoji that shows I know you're avoiding answering.

• Plus1 3

31 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

So if any or all of us flood this thread with myriad examples, including the aforementioned admissions by Republicans that voter suppression is a huge part of their strategy, will you quit pretending that this is about how easy it is to get an ID?

My guess is "no" since we've already been around that block a few times, but let's try again:

https://news.berkeley.edu/2020/09/29/stacking-the-deck-how-the-gop-works-to-suppress-minority-voting/

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/mar/02/texas-polling-sites-closures-voting

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-locations/southern-u-s-states-have-closed-1200-polling-places-in-recent-years-rights-group-idUSKCN1VV09J

You can keep telling yourself this isn't wrong and un-American, but it is. 

Weird that you think "this might be different in California"  It is, but not in the way you think. 

So to recap:

Its voter suppression to have everyone play by the same voting laws, laws that if challenged and deemed illegal by a court would then be struck down by a court and be mute at that point.  
However, If challenged and not deemed illegal, everyone would be following the same valid law.  Everyone who is eligible to vote would still be eligible to vote and have plenty of time to get prepared to vote.  

If someone decides not to abide by the voting laws or not vote altogether, then it’s suppression?  When those people in question have opportunity and time to follow the rules set forth of the state they reside in and that many times those new laws go through court scrutiny, that’s suppression?  

I will go ahead and go on record and disagree. 

• Plus1 2
Just now, Archy1221 said:

So to recap:

Its voter suppression to have everyone play by the same voting laws, laws that if challenged and deemed illegal by a court would then be struck down by a court and be mute at that point.  
However, If challenged and not deemed illegal, everyone would be following the same valid law.  Everyone who is eligible to vote would still be eligible to vote and have plenty of time to get prepared to vote.  

If someone decides not to abide by the voting laws or not vote altogether, then it’s suppression?  When those people in question have opportunity and time to follow the rules set forth of the state they reside in and that many times those new laws go through court scrutiny, that’s suppression?  

I will go ahead and go on record and disagree. 

Why is this so hard for you? Other than your profound desire not to believe it? 

• Plus1 1
19 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Why is this so hard for you? Other than your profound desire not to believe it? 

Because it’s not suppression.  I’ve told you why it’s not, your choosing to believe only one group of people can’t seem to follow the voting laws and I’m stating they are very well capable of doing so.  Why is that hard for you to understand unless you have a desire for grievance politics?  

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

Probably because you interjected yourself into that conversation :dunno

You do this quite often.  You act upset when someone joins a conversation.  You've done it to me a few times.  This is a message board with open discussions that anyone can partake in.  Just because you're having a conversation with Guy, doesn't mean others can't join in.  It's really how message boards work.

Sorry if I interjected myself into a conversation you were having with someone else.

• Plus1 3