Reparations, Racism & Building a better Society

Reparations  

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 hours ago, funhusker said:

Sounds awesome.  We could call it “Mail-in ballots” or something catchy.  Imagine the ease of getting a ballot in your mailbox, filling it out at your convenience , ,even research candidates and ballot measures.  When your done, put it back in your mailbox or drop off at a specified location if you choose.

something like that would just be great!

Speaking of mail in ballots, I wonder why mail in ballots don't require a thumb print?  It would be so easy to implement.  And anyone could provide a thumb print on their ballot.  Even those who are not capable of procuring an ID but are qualified to participate in governance by casting their vote.  What would be the downside?  

/Sorry for the tangent.  It's just something I've been wondering about.  

• Plus1 1

12 minutes ago, NUance said:

Speaking of mail in ballots, I wonder why mail in ballots don't require a thumb print?  It would be so easy to implement.  And anyone could provide a thumb print on their ballot.  Even those who are not capable of procuring an ID but are qualified to participate in governance by casting their vote.  What would be the downside?  

What if they're all thumbs? Which one would they use?

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Fair enough. I will find out where you live and try to make that as difficult as possible. 

Is this some type of threat? Seeing as how you are not an elected official in my state that makes voting law or part of the county board of elections where I live, how exactly are you gonna make voting “as difficult as possible for me”.  I’m actually quite curious as I’m sure mods on this board probably should be too.  

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
14 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Is this some type of threat? Seeing as how you are not an elected official in my state that makes voting law or part of the county board of elections where I live, how exactly are you gonna make voting “as difficult as possible for me”.  I’m actually quite curious as I’m sure mods on this board probably should be too.  

You won't know at first. You'll just be going about your life, assuming you live in the greatest democracy in the world. Then perhaps you'll find the church basement you've voted in for years has been shut down. And the next closest location is actually pretty far away. And you don't have a car, because I've taken it away to prove my point. And because yours isn't the only polling location shut down in white Republican strongholds, the line to vote takes hours. You're not used to this level of disrespect, so you and your neighbors start acting out, yelling at the cops and singing old Maroon 5 songs in protest. Some of you get arrested. Some get tired of this s#!t and go home. But none of you are under any illusion that you weren't singled out as white Republican voters and hassled by the Democrats who control your state in the hopes you won't vote. You might finally get up to the registrar and present your ID, but it's not the RIGHT ID. This year we required  a more voter-specific ID in order to combat fraud. A letter was sent to your house that clearly spelled that out, although it looked like junk mail, and in fact was vaguely worded. That was me. But being you, you persevered and got your ballot in. Good for you. But a bunch of us think your newly elected President Dan Crenshaw is a danger to our self-interests, and despite our losing the popular vote, the electoral college, and 62 challenges of voter fraud, me and my lady friend Alexandria Ocasio Cortez have activated all our friends in the Democratically controlled states and the proud patriots of Antifa to simply negate the results.

I'm not saying we suppressed you because you were white, it's because you're in the enemy party. Being white just made you easy to track. 

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, NUance said:

Well, every voter would have to provide a thumb print with their voter registration. I wouldn’t have a problem with that. But, there are lots of people that would fear black helicopters are going to come take them away if they did.  

12 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

You won't know at first. You'll just be going about your life, assuming you live in the greatest democracy in the world. Then perhaps you'll find the church basement you've voted in for years has been shut down. And the next closest location is actually pretty far away. And you don't have a car, because I've taken it away to prove my point. And because yours isn't the only polling location shut down in white Republican strongholds, the line to vote takes hours. You're not used to this level of disrespect, so you and your neighbors start acting out, yelling at the cops and singing old Maroon 5 songs in protest. Some of you get arrested. Some get tired of this s#!t and go home. But none of you are under any illusion that you weren't singled out as white Republican voters and hassled by the Democrats who control your state in the hopes you won't vote. You might finally get up to the registrar and present your ID, but it's not the RIGHT ID. This year we required  a more voter-specific ID in order to combat fraud. A letter was sent to your house that clearly spelled that out, although it looked like junk mail, and in fact was vaguely worded. That was me. But being you, you persevered and got your ballot in. Good for you. But a bunch of us think your newly elected President Dan Crenshaw is a danger to our self-interests, and despite our losing the popular vote, the electoral college, and 62 challenges of voter fraud, me and my lady friend Alexandria Ocasio Cortez have activated all our friends in the Democratically controlled states and the proud patriots of Antifa to simply negate the results.

I'm not saying we suppressed you because you were white, it's because you're in the enemy party. Being white just made you easy to track. 

Ok, good luck with that.  Looking forward to your grand theft auto attempt. 

• Plus1 1
12 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Well, every voter would have to provide a thumb print with their voter registration. I wouldn’t have a problem with that. But, there are lots of people that would fear black helicopters are going to come take them away if they did.  

My guess is that the ACLU would have a pretty big problem with that.  Not just the black helicopter folks. 

• Plus1 1
14 hours ago, NUance said:

On the surface, I don't think it's that bad of an idea, but you would probably have many portions of the country that would feel disenfranchised by it and that it's a government overstep.

I guess I wouldn't personally care much one way or the other, though. The federal government already has my finger prints thanks to my global travelers card. I also don't keep ink or ink pads around my house for that kind of thing.

21 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

So now it's the people suppressing their own vote.

Lovely. 

Seriously. You're not reading any of these links, are you.

But sorta to your point, I think we need to congratulate the people who did in fact research the voting options, advised people of the barriers being put in their way, and helped  people to turn out in record numbers to reclaim the Presidency and Senate. People still have some  power. For now. And that's what clearly pisses off your team. 

Not (necessarily) racially related but relevant: 17 GOP controlled states sought to over-turn the 2020 election results based on zero evidence, and two have initiated a process where the state legislature can override its own voters. So maybe voter suppression is a moot point if you're in a position to ignore the voters and evidence regardless.

These are your people. What they're doing may technically be legal, given a manipulation of the law, but I can't think of an argument where it's not horribly un-ethical and un-American at the core.  

• Plus1 2
58 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Someone else used that terminology first. My guess is @Archy1221 is just tossing it back.

That way of thinking is definitely a problem though.

Oh, it's a problem across the board; that's why tribalism in politics is such the problem it is today. 

• Plus1 2