*** Official Ohio State Game Thread ***

suh_fan93

7 minutes ago, olddominionhusker said:

Yep. I’m so sick of the talent argument. Yes there is a definite talent discrepancy. Is it as big as the one between North Carolina and Clemson? I can name any number of teams who have faced far bigger talent discrepancies and still manage to not completely embarrass themselves. What happened tonight is more then just talent

What do you suspect the problem is?  I see a team that doesn't have a lot of pride if they are willing to get embarrassed like tonight.  A lack of pride for the N on their helmet makes for a less than dedicated player that doesn't properly prepare themselves for these games.  Hopefully having more walkon Nebraska kids will help other players realize how special it is to represent Nebraska.

3 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

What do you suspect the problem is?  I see a team that doesn't have a lot of pride if they are willing to get embarrassed like tonight.  A lack of pride for the N on their helmet makes for a less than dedicated player that doesn't properly prepare themselves for these games.  Hopefully having more walkon Nebraska kids will help other players realize how special it is to represent Nebraska.

Absolutely correct! These guys tonight didn't give a RIP about being blown out. Theres no fear of what will happen to them if they play like hot garbage. Clearly. Some accountability would be nice at some point. 

• Haha 1
6 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

So we're going to fight the talent gap with walk-ons? 

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

So we're going to fight the talent gap with walk-ons? 

No but I do think a well motivated walkon can develop into a better player then a less motivated highly ranked recruit.  I think having a lot of home state players can form a base of pride for a team.  Look at Wisconsin's roster.  A lot of players from Wisconsin.   Iowa has a lot of players from Iowa.  We need both good, respected players and walk-ons from Nebraska.  Most Nebraskans are probably concerned about their sons getting brain damage from football so I'm not holding out much hope for this to happen.  We want a good team but imported from out of state.  Not going to work.

• Haha 1
17 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

No but I do think a well motivated walkon can develop into a better player then a less motivated highly ranked recruit.  I think having a lot of home state players can form a base of pride for a team.  Look at Wisconsin's roster.  A lot of players from Wisconsin.   Iowa has a lot of players from Iowa.  We need both good, respected players and walk-ons from Nebraska.  Most Nebraskans are probably concerned about their sons getting brain damage from football so I'm not holding out much hope for this to happen.  We want a good team but imported from out of state.  Not going to work.

A lot of players on offense on the 1997 team were from Nebraska. Many people forget this and think it can't be done again. We will never know unless we try. Another issue is, it was easy back then for our high schools to learn from Osborne's schemes. He pumped football into this state. Jury is out on whether Frost can do the same however, it's a lot harder now to get Nebraska kids than it was back then.

• Haha 2
19 minutes ago, FTW said:

A lot of players on offense on the 1997 team were from Nebraska. Many people forget this and think it can't be done again. We will never know unless we try. Another issue is, it was easy back then for our high schools to learn from Osborne's schemes. He pumped football into this state. Jury is out on whether Frost can do the same however, it's a lot harder now to get Nebraska kids than it was back then.

I don't think you bring in Nebraska kids unless they are good enough.  First you got to get the high school football talent level elevated.  That's not going to happen unless more kids are allowed to play football.  I think the whole CTE thing has caused a lot of irrational fear in Nebraska which was already at a disadvantage due to it's low population.  The shift in demographics from rural to urban areas of Nebraska hasn't helped either.  Less teams and therefore less players participating.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

I don't think you bring in Nebraska kids unless they are good enough.  First you got to get the high school football talent level elevated.  That's not going to happen unless more kids are allowed to play football.  I think the whole CTE thing has caused a lot of irrational fear in Nebraska which was already at a disadvantage due to it's low population.  The shift in demographics from rural to urban areas of Nebraska hasn't helped either.  Less teams and therefore less players participating.

Plus you really can’t scholarship kids who are projects for two or three years down the road. And with the cost of school, it’s going to be tough to get kids to walk on when there is at least some scholarship money available for them  elsewhere. 

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

What sucks is against OSU/Mich, we need to catch up on talent. Against Wisconsin/Iowa, we are more talented we just need another year in our system. Does anyone know truly where we are at? Right now we’re probably closer to Riley then Pelini based on results? Guess I’ll soul search another week. 

I don't see we are more talented across the board than Wisky right now

7 minutes ago, 3rd and long said:

Plus you really can’t scholarship kids who are projects for two or three years down the road. And with the cost of school, it’s going to be tough to get kids to walk on when there is at least some scholarship money available for them  elsewhere. 

On the plus side we now have a coach that isn't an a$$ or a buffoon and is a Nebraskan that a lot of Nebraska kids would want to play for.   #FrostEffect

• Haha 1