Linebackers-Talent or communication?

lo country

Here is an article with film breakdown that answers that question.  Appears to be both.  WE currently sit at 88th for stopping third downs.....The stats in the article are really depressing.

From the article....

Nebraska is 88th nationally in opponent conversion rate on third down. Opponents are getting 41.9 percent of the third downs they face. Purdue’s average distance to gain was 7.4 yards. Indiana’s average distance to gain was 7.2. Both hit above a 50% clip. Nebraska’s average distance on third was 3.8 yards against Indiana and it posted a lower third-down conversion clip… How?

(Illinois represented the peak for the Blackshirts on third. The Huskers held the Illini to 1-for-12 on third down. In four of the five games since, Nebraska has given up 10-of-13, 8-of-13, 7-of-13, and 8-of-14.)

The thing that can be fixed in the short term is communication, which has a lot to do with the vast majority of the third-down conversions the Huskers have given up in recent weeks. “It wasn’t good at all,” said senior inside linebacker and captain Mohamed Barry after the Indiana game. “I would say our worst game when it comes to communication, even on third down.” Purdue didn’t look much better.

Nebraska needs to figure that out.

Communication------SMH-------This far into the season in year 2 of the system.  I wonder how much better we would look with younger, not B1G ready kids that could at least get in the way of the plays.......And the D is pretty strong on UC playing...

The positive is help is on the way with recruiting/young kids already here. Communication is another issue.  New DL coach, rotating safeties with injuries and Ruud in just year 2 have got to play into this and should also improve.  This many issues in the back end would make any scheme look horrible...Not saying Chin doesn't warrant criticism....

https://hailvarsity.com/s/8270/husker-lbs-havent-been-great-3rd-down-coverage-another-problem

• Plus1 4

1st clip seems to be 100% on Jackson.. There has to be more awareness on the rub/pick routes.  if he recognizes it this is a net loss play

2nd clip looks like honas is still in man but wondering if he got a cue from jojo (notice he looks back and seems to get waved off..??)

3rd clip looks like miller was passing him off.. He bumps and then turns back to the line. Lee starts to drop back deep and does not pick him up

4th clip is definitely miscommunication between honas and dismuke.  My guess is it was honas's assignment 

5 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Just what we needed, another article talking about what has been painfully obvious.

Figured the film work shows something broken down we haven't seen.....We all watch the games and see the obvious miscues, offense, defense, special teams, but I like the film break down.....That's just me.  Adds something more than just the clanging gong of complaining.....

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
3 minutes ago, lo country said:

Might go back to your original comments about who is not "bought in/talented enough"......You figure he'd be all over guys.....being a senior and a captain...

Yep, exactly.

But I think on the field performance hampers his credibility.

I know Ruud is early in his coaching career, but I have a hard time believing Ruud hasn't tried everything.  And at some point, film study and leadership is on the player to want to.

13 minutes ago, lo country said:

Might go back to your original comments about who is not "bought in/talented enough"......You figure he'd be all over guys.....being a senior and a captain...

The play they show against Indiana where Honas and Dismuke are alls screwed up tells one hell of a lot.  He's supposed to be the senior middle linebacker directing the defense.....and he does nothing.

• Plus1 3

FWIW, everything I’ve heard and read says Barry absolutely is a great leader for this team. Sometimes ILBs make mistakes because they don’t trust others around them to stick to their assignments. He has to be better, but I don’t believe “want to” is an issue for him.

Honas has always had some issues with his responsibilities in this defense, dating back to his first camp here with us. He’s been described as missile that the coaches try to keep guided as much as possible.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, Caliborn72 said:

FWIW, everything I’ve heard and read says Barry absolutely is a great leader for this team. Sometimes ILBs make mistakes because they don’t trust others around them to stick to their assignments. He has to be better, but I don’t believe “want to” is an issue for him.

Honas has always had some issues with his responsibilities in this defense, dating back to his first camp here with us. He’s been described as missile that the coaches try to keep guided as much as possible.

As long as the coaches have to keep him guided, it'll be an issue.  When his teammates keep him guided is when results will happen.

• Plus1 2