Iowa points allowed... Season high

Hilltop

For everyone hating on Frost and his offensive play calling....  Take a look at Iowa's points allowed this year per team.  24 is the most they have allowed.  Plenty of things to second guess but their defense created problems for everyone they faced this year.  Our offense wasn't the issue today.  Our defense and special teams are a topic for other threads.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

For everyone hating on Frost and his offensive play calling....  Take a look at Iowa's points allowed this year per team.  24 is the most they have allowed.  Plenty of things to second guess but their defense created problems for everyone they faced this year.  Our offense want the issue today.  Our defense and special teams are a topic for other threads.

I saw the highlights and Iowa had a TD on a kickoff return, WTH?  Our special team play is the most concerning.  I haven't paid attention to who is playing on special teams but kickoffs and punts are usually full of hungry young players trying to show that they deserve playing time.  It doesn't bode well for the future.  I'm giving Dewitt the benefit of the doubt because I believe he is smart and is able to point out what the problems are with special teams.  Players need to make plays.  As you say, special teams is for another thread.

23 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

For everyone hating on Frost and his offensive play calling....  Take a look at Iowa's points allowed this year per team.  24 is the most they have allowed.  Plenty of things to second guess but their defense created problems for everyone they faced this year.  Our offense wasn't the issue today.  Our defense and special teams are a topic for other threads.

17 points allowed by their defense.  

Our offense was a big part of the problem. 

Other than that, I agree. 

• Plus1 1

So why post that message on this thread?  We were a 5 win team playing a top 20 team and we took them to the last second.  Coaching is easy to second guess but talent is an obvious issue.  I made this thread to illustrate that many more talented teams coached by more heralded coaches scored much less against Iowa.  

• Thanks 2
28 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Our offense was a massive issue today. And the issues it had weren't because their defense was creating problems; it's because we were creating problems. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
2 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

I saw the highlights and Iowa had a TD on a kickoff return, WTH?  Our special team play is the most concerning.  I haven't paid attention to who is playing on special teams but kickoffs and punts are usually full of hungry young players trying to show that they deserve playing time.  It doesn't bode well for the future.  I'm giving Dewitt the benefit of the doubt because I believe he is smart and is able to point out what the problems are with special teams.  Players need to make plays.  As you say, special teams is for another thread.

I want to give Dewitt some benefit but our Special teams are horrible, our punter was horrible again today as he has been all year but he graduates so that will change. Our Kick off returners can't figure out that if you call a fair catch we get it at the 25 been trying to return kicks all year, starting every drive at the 15 yard line hurts!! Or fielding a punt at the 1 yard line ouch!!   and the kick off coverage oh boy where to start there!!!

7 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

I saw the highlights and Iowa had a TD on a kickoff return, WTH? 

It was SUPER AWESOME watching that from north end zone, where we could clearly see there was NO ONE on the west side of the defense. That returner took two steps forward, cut to his left, and he was goooooooone.

Just now, Landlord said:

And the issues it had weren't because their defense was creating problems; it's because we were creating problems. 

Does every offense that plays Iowa just create their own issues? Because we had more yards and points than they usually give up. If the problem today was us, that must be the problem for every team that plays them, yeah?

I'll hang up and listen.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

It was SUPER AWESOME watching that from north end zone, where we could clearly see there was NO ONE on the west side of the defense. That returner took two steps forward, cut to his left, and he was goooooooone.

NICE!  I was outside working so it was super awesome NOT seeing it live. 

See, this is the thing about special teams.  What seems more likely - Dewitt is coaching them to not defend a whole side of the field OR our players are playing like idiots?

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Does every offense that plays Iowa just create their own issues? Because we had more yards and points than they usually give up. If the problem today was us, that must be the problem for every team that plays them, yeah?

I'll hang up and listen.

Nobody wants to listen to reality...  Our defense is a problem, no doubt.  Our offense scored enough too be a 9-10 win team this year.  Of course you can second guess play calling.  Every team can.... Just see Ohio State's forums lol. Hopefully we get some talent in to help in the if season.  Until next year, GBR

1 minute ago, 4skers89 said:

See, this is the thing about special teams.  What seems more likely - Dewitt is coaching them to not defend a whole side of the field OR our players are playing like idiots?

I have no idea what's going on. I know we're not playing our most talented players there, and it doesn't seem to be a heavy focus for these coaches.