Way too early OLine projection

bhunt7

3 hours ago, bhunt7 said:

Are you just hoping for a major mix up OR do you think Austin will actually make some major changes?

I have pretty low confidence in Austin.  He's not a Nebraska guy from the best era and is stuck in Bill Callahan mode.  Great talker.  (Not so good speaker, just promises a lot delivers not so much.)  Knows NFL coaching of an OL perhaps.  But really is not as aggressive with the college game.  If you value the passing game at Nebraska, he's great.  But he's not getting our players to block well in the run game which has been 60% of our offense under Frost.

Edited by madrat
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, swmohusker said:

Nope.  Maybe early on but he was pretty good towards the end of the year.  He is definitely not a TE.  If he stays healthy Cam will be a force at C for us.  

Compared to whom?  As a center he's at the bottom of the B1G.

I want the Huskers to win, not look pretty.  The guy gets tossed like a rag doll.  As he puts on weight he's slowed down.  There is a huge mass muscle difference from him to other centers.  Step back from the kool-aid and look at it from a distance.  It hurt to stick to him.  He's been the worst blocker in near every game last season.  Yet we expect him to lead a bunch of upperclassmen?  Nonsense.

26 minutes ago, madrat said:

I have pretty low confidence in Austin.  He's not a Nebraska guy from the best era and is stuck in Bill Callahan mode.  Great talker.  (Not so good speaker, just promises a lot delivers not so much.)  Knows NFL coaching of an OL perhaps.  But really is not as aggressive with the college game.  If you value the passing game at Nebraska, he's great.  But he's not getting our players to block well in the run game which has been 60% of our offense under Frost.

They blocked pretty well against Wisconsin in the run game. You aren't the expert you think you are...

• Plus1 7

21 minutes ago, madrat said:

Compared to whom?  As a center he's at the bottom of the B1G.

I want the Huskers to win, not look pretty.  The guy gets tossed like a rag doll.  As he puts on weight he's slowed down.  There is a huge mass muscle difference from him to other centers.  Step back from the kool-aid and look at it from a distance.  It hurt to stick to him.  He's been the worst blocker in near every game last season.  Yet we expect him to lead a bunch of upperclassmen?  Nonsense.

Are you just assuming he can’t block cause he’s a little smaller?? He was one of the best blockers on the team even as a tight end which is part of the reason they moved him. I think he struggled at the beginning if the season simply cause it was his first live action at center and that’s not an easy position to play. He played pretty damn good down the stretch if you actually watched him.....

• Plus1 2

Cam is probably one of the better OL guys we have had in awhile when it comes to getting to the second level to block.  He is quick out of his stance and is actually light on his feet, which IMO is what has caused some of his snapping issues.  He is putting the cart in front of the horse a little.

The problem I have with the OL is at the G position.  Wilson is serviceable but Hixson is NOT good IMO.  I went back and watched the Iowa game again and there were a few times when Cam snapped the ball,  chipped the DT and moved on to the LBs.  Hixson was WAY to slow to get over and put a hand on the DT or when he did get there,  he just shoved him without driving into him and that was it.  

• Plus1 2
8 minutes ago, Farms said:

Are you just assuming he can’t block cause he’s a little smaller?? He was one of the best blockers on the team even as a tight end which is part of the reason they moved him. I think he struggled at the beginning if the season simply cause it was his first live action at center and that’s not an easy position to play. He played pretty damn good down the stretch if you actually watched him.....

Chicken and egg reasoning there.  He came in as a tight end and by October was out by injury.  Five years in a row he got injured, dating back to high school.  So he heals up a bit and got moved to center.  The guy played in the spring like he did in the fall, scattering snaps  Was hurt again over the summer.  People on this board all questioned his durability a year ago and forgot to question his ability to do the position.  Showed up in the fall and was labeled a game changer.  He certainly was in the opposite way.  He was not ready for the role and guys that were did not play.  I'd rather of not had all the drama with snaps and the line calls.

42 minutes ago, madrat said:

Chicken and egg reasoning there.  He came in as a tight end and by October was out by injury.  Five years in a row he got injured, dating back to high school.  So he heals up a bit and got moved to center.  The guy played in the spring like he did in the fall, scattering snaps  Was hurt again over the summer.  People on this board all questioned his durability a year ago and forgot to question his ability to do the position.  Showed up in the fall and was labeled a game changer.  He certainly was in the opposite way.  He was not ready for the role and guys that were did not play.  I'd rather of not had all the drama with snaps and the line calls.

Well it turned out fine as he was our best lineman in the second half of the season so what difference does it make at this point? He is going to be great at C so I don't see the point in rehashing his early season struggles. Was he playing like that at the end of the year? No. Again, he was our best lineman. We don't have another player on the team that has that kind of upside at C. 

5 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Well it turned out fine as he was our best lineman in the second half of the season so what difference does it make at this point? He is going to be great at C so I don't see the point in rehashing his early season struggles. Was he playing like that at the end of the year? No. Again, he was our best lineman. We don't have another player on the team that has that kind of upside at C. 

Best?  The coaches did not ever put him as the best scorer at blocking and that is the most important metric when labeling best.  He was second to last at least once and dead bottom for most games compared to just the NU starters.  You really need to step away from the kool-aid.  The coaches created the metrics, so bug them if you don't like the numbers.

• Fire 1

Just now, madrat said:

Best?  The coaches did not ever put him as the best scorer at blocking and that is the most important metric when labeling best.  He was second to last at least once and dead bottom for most games compared to just the NU starters.  You really need to step away from the kool-aid.  The coaches created the metrics, so bug them if you don't like the numbers.

Where can we find said metrics? I haven't seen any sort of grades from our coaches on OLine performance.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, madrat said:

I'm not posting the link.  They will just move it if it goes public.  There are probably some posters here with access.  I was shown it when I was over at Huskers Max.  Unfortunately that site is a bit of a dive with the moderator chums with some bad actors.

Ha. Sure. I don't believe you

• Plus1 4
30 minutes ago, madrat said:

I'm not posting the link.  They will just move it if it goes public.  There are probably some posters here with access.  I was shown it when I was over at Huskers Max.  Unfortunately that site is a bit of a dive with the moderator chums with some bad actors.

Sounds like that website needs a few more mods that come from naturally strong families. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1