Travis Vokolek and Garrett Snodgrass are Scout-team MVPs

NUance

7 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

I do think these guys will contribute, but that's largely unrelated to winning the awards. We do not have a great history of scout team MVPs becoming major contributors. It's hard to find a complete list, but here's some recent ones:

2014: Erik Evans/Zach Stovall (Defense), Jerald Foster/Mikale Wilbon (Offense)

2015: Alex Davis/Reid Karel (Defense), Christian Bailey/Jalin Barnett (Offense)

2016: Pernell Jefferson/Collin Miller (Defense), Tanner Lee/JD Spielman (Offense)

2017: Couldn't find

2018: Ryan Schommer (Defense), Wyatt Liewer (Offense)

Again, I don't want to be a downer because I am excited about these guys. But I was curious and looking back at past winners was largely unpleasant.

Stovall, Foster, Alex Davis, Collin Miller, Tanner Lee and JD Spielman arguably became some pretty significant contributors, that is almost 50% of those listed.  If even one of Snod or Vok become a JD Spielman for us next year, I'll take it.

1 minute ago, Husker03 said:

Stovall, Foster, Alex Davis, Collin Miller, Tanner Lee and JD Spielman arguably became some pretty significant contributors, that is almost 50% of those listed.  If even one of Snod or Vok become a JD Spielman for us next year, I'll take it.

Wrong Stovall, but yeah. Not like we're batting .000, but just saying it is far from a guarantee of success. I do think a transfer winning it is good, they should be a stud since they have experience and might as well be scout team since they can't play.

A freshman or walk on winning it means they weren't practicing with the 1s and 2s. Nelson probably would've easily been scout team MVP, but he played his way off the scout team. Not trying to bag on Snodgrass, I think people are selling him a little short. But as far as I know Henrich/Hannah weren't even on the scout team, which is probably a better indicator of future success than being the best player on the scout team.

On 12/30/2019 at 8:40 PM, Hans Gruber said:

Does Frost and/or Verduzco and/or Martinez just not like tight ends? (Insert sex joke)

Because it seems like they never throw to tight ends and haven't for years. 

Stoll was very close to having more yards and catches than all three of Iowa's top three tight ends combined 

• Plus1 2
20 hours ago, runningblind said:

Snodgrass should provide ST help and depth.  That is where solid 3 star kids should be counted on unless they force the coaches to put them on the field by performing.  They shouldn't be expected to start because we have no 4/5 star talent that lives up to the ranking as has been the case at LB for years at Nebraska.  Hopefully that is changing with Henrich and Greene then on to the future. 

Wha????

Now we are proclaiming that solid 3 star recruits aren’t good enough for us????

So, half to 2/3s of our recruiting classes should just be relegated to special teams?

45 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Wha????

Now we are proclaiming that solid 3 star recruits aren’t good enough for us????

So, half to 2/3s of our recruiting classes should just be relegated to special teams?

Ha, where did I say they weren't good enough for the team? I said that is where you should get ST help and depth at all positions unless they outperform.

Snodgrass should provide ST help and depth. That is where solid 3 star kids should be counted on unless they force the coaches to put them on the field by performing

If we want to get back to winning the conference,  I stand by the statement above.   I don't think expecting a kid with one P5 offer,  and an .86 ranking, to start at ILB is a recipe for success versus hitting on 4/5 star kids (i.e. Keyshawn Greene).   Are there outliers and might he be great? Of course but it shouldn't be assumed or counted upon.

26 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Ha, where did I say they weren't good enough for the team? I said that is where you should get ST help and depth at all positions unless they outperform.

Snodgrass should provide ST help and depth. That is where solid 3 star kids should be counted on unless they force the coaches to put them on the field by performing

If we want to get back to winning the conference,  I stand by the statement above.   I don't think expecting a kid with one P5 offer,  and an .86 ranking, to start at ILB is a recipe for success versus hitting on 4/5 star kids (i.e. Keyshawn Greene).   Are there outliers and might he be great? Of course but it shouldn't be assumed or counted upon.

Awe yes another post about how recruiting websites know all 

Just now, KingBlank said:

Awe yes another post about how recruiting websites know all 

Ha ok guys.  Fill the team with 2/3 star Nebraska kids and see how many conference titles Nebraska wins this decade.  I'm sure they are all diamonds in the rough that the recruiting services missed.

I think I posted a few months back that I suspected you were Bo Pelini...this post isn't helping your case for not being him. Haha!

• Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Ha ok guys.  Fill the team with 2/3 star Nebraska kids and see how many conference titles Nebraska wins this decade.  I'm sure they are all diamonds in the rough that the recruiting services missed.

I think I posted a few months back that I suspected you were Bo Pelini...this post isn't helping your case for not being him. Haha!

literally, nobody is saying that. 

Many, including me, have over and over that we need to be recruiting higher rated players And developing them into major contributors. For too long, our best recruits  don’t pan out. 

However, there will always be 3* players Contributing and starting for Nebraska. Being a .8600 - .8800 recruit doesn’t mean they are some non-athletic schmuck. 

58 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

literally, nobody is saying that. 

Many, including me, have over and over that we need to be recruiting higher rated players And developing them into major contributors. For too long, our best recruits  don’t pan out. 

However, there will always be 3* players Contributing and starting for Nebraska. Being a .8600 - .8800 recruit doesn’t mean they are some non-athletic schmuck. 

I believe I said, twice, that 3* kids who perform should be on the field.  The services aren't perfect, but its pretty likely that a .93 LB is better than an a .86 on day 1. I agree with your bolded statement, which is where they go after they get on campus.  We need to continue to get 10-12 89+ kids every class. And we need them to work just as hard as the Nebraska kids to win the conference. 

To beat Ohio State we need more kids like Keyshawn Greene on the field than Garrett Snodgrass.  If that ruffles feathers around here fine, but its the truth.

21 minutes ago, runningblind said:

To beat Ohio State we need more kids like Keyshawn Greene on the field than Garrett Snodgrass.  If that ruffles feathers around here fine, but its the truth.

I think we agree more than disagree in this discussion. Then, you go and say something like this. 

My problem with this statement is that we don’t know how either one is going to be on the field. 

what I think more accurately that we need is more like Greene in our recruiting classes....then they need to live up to their ratings once here. We also need Snodgrass to develop into a force on the field. 

6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I think we agree more than disagree in this discussion. Then, you go and say something like this. 

My problem with this statement is that we don’t know how either one is going to be on the field. 

what I think more accurately that we need is more like Greene in our recruiting classes....then they need to live up to their ratings once here. We also need Snodgrass to develop into a force on the field. 

That's what I was going for, both higher rated kids and development to have everyone reach their potential.  I agree that we mostly agree, so I am going to stop now. :cheers