The 2020 Attrition Thread

knapplc

55 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

He signed 24 players.  That's not a major "undersigning" problem. Two of those were academic casualties.

55 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

He signed 24 players.  That's not a major "undersigning" problem. Two of those were academic casualties.

But he did.  My point is if we have 24 “open” based on known graduations or players leaving, he should have signed 26-27.  You assume you will have players leave every yr or you find space with those candid, but fair conversations.  This is what’s been happening for at least 10 yrs, and we always end up handing “extra” scholarships to walkons.  Fine If they earn and deserve them but don’t like the idea of awarding them because we have extras.

going into this yr frost said publicly this was going to be a small class.  Around 20....and we signed what.....24-25 on early signing day and now have 2 more based on reporting for nsd2.0, or grad transfer.  This is what we should be doing and need to be doing.  

5 minutes ago, N is for nowledge said:

But he did.  My point is if we have 24 “open” based on known graduations or players leaving, he should have signed 26-27.  You assume you will have players leave every yr or you find space with those candid, but fair conversations.  This is what’s been happening for at least 10 yrs, and we always end up handing “extra” scholarships to walkons.  Fine If they earn and deserve them but don’t like the idea of awarding them because we have extras.

going into this yr frost said publicly this was going to be a small class.  Around 20....and we signed what.....24-25 on early signing day and now have 2 more based on reporting for nsd2.0, or grad transfer.  This is what we should be doing and need to be doing.  

He literally signed the same number in 2018 as he did this year and what you say he should be doing here.

• Plus1 1

In 2018 they had more available based on graduation.  AGAIN, at season start frost said they were going to have small class, they’d sign 20-21, but they will most likely sign 26-27....why.  Candid and fair conversations moving kids out to better opportunities and accounting for some attrition.  Now multiply that x4 yrs at 2-3 addl guys a cycle.  Don’t know about you but I think we could use 8-9 addl guys every four yrs and maybe, just maybe, wouldn’t be forced to have a RS soph walkon starting for us on the oline.  Having a freshman RS at rb playing in crunch time.  

6 minutes ago, N is for nowledge said:

Candid and fair conversations moving kids out to better opportunities and accounting for some attrition.  Now multiply that x4 yrs at 2-3 addl guys a cycle.  Don’t know about you but I think we could use 8-9 addl guys every four yrs and maybe, just maybe, wouldn’t be forced to have a RS soph walkon starting for us on the oline.  Having a freshman RS at rb playing in crunch time.  

I'm not arguing against this point.  I agree with you on that.  The fact is though, he didn't undersign in 2018.  He then did exactly what you claim he should be doing.  He moved a huge number of players out and filled them in with more.  That's EXACTLY why we have Freshmen and RS Freshmen playing last year and this year.

Your argument here is very confusing because he did exactly what you claim he should be doing in 2018.

• Plus1 2

Here is an article from December 2018.  LINK

Of those numbers, 84 have joined the program since coach Scott Frost was hired less than 13 months ago, and 96 will be sophomore eligibility or younger in 2019.

So...84 new players in the first 13 months being on the job.  I'm not sure how many more you expect to be new players brought into the system in basically one year.

By June of 2018, he had brought in 8 transfers 6 from JUCO and 2 from power 5 programs. On this list isn't Vedral.