The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

12 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I must have missed it.  Can you show me where he said the GOP is solely to blame for the anti-vax sentiment.  

you mean like "the cognitive dissonance involved in ignoring the GOPs absolute failure regarding the Pandemic (and the lives lost because of those failures)"

35 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Joe and Kamala were not critical of the vaccine.

I wish Republicans would stop with that farce of an argument.  

https://thehill.com/opinion/white-house/563771-guess-who-undermined-public-confidence-in-vaccines

Harris had stated that any such effort pushed by then-President Trump was untrustworthy. This was consistent with the Biden campaign theme that the Trump administration had been incompetent in responding to the COVID-19 pandemic — a position that morphed, when President Biden took office, into a claim that the Trump team hadn’t even had a workable plan on vaccine distribution (a claim so patently false that even Anthony Fauci, director of the Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, denied it). 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
2 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

https://thehill.com/opinion/white-house/563771-guess-who-undermined-public-confidence-in-vaccines

Harris had stated that any such effort pushed by then-President Trump was untrustworthy. This was consistent with the Biden campaign theme that the Trump administration had been incompetent in responding to the COVID-19 pandemic — a position that morphed, when President Biden took office, into a claim that the Trump team hadn’t even had a workable plan on vaccine distribution (a claim so patently false that even Anthony Fauci, director of the Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, denied it). 

Joe and Kamala basically said that they wouldn't take the vaccine if Trump told them to.  They WOULD take it if scientists and doctors said to take it.  When it finally came out and scientists and doctors said to take it....they did.

This is a prime example of someone saying something and the other party twisting their words and intentions around for a political reason.

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Joe and Kamala basically said that they wouldn't take the vaccine if Trump told them to.  They WOULD take it if scientists and doctors said to take it.  When it finally came out and scientists and doctors said to take it....they did.

This is a prime example of someone saying something and the other party twisting their words and intentions around for a political reason.

from the same link

The administration is upset because, after his campaign discredited the vaccine effort, Biden over-promised what he could deliver once he took charge of it. He claimed that by Independence Day 70 percent of adult Americans would have received at least one dose of a vaccine. In fact, the Mayo Clinic put the July 4 count at about 55 percent. (It has inched up to 56 percent in the two weeks since, and just under half the eligible population has been fully vaccinated.)

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Joe and Kamala basically said that they wouldn't take the vaccine if Trump told them to.  

FIFY

you are correct

10 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

This was Joe in August last year:

"The way he (Trump) talks about the vaccine is not particularly rational. He’s talking about it being ready, he’s going to talk about moving it quicker than the scientists think it should be moved … . People don’t believe that he’s telling the truth, therefore they’re not at all certain they’re going to take the vaccine. And one more thing: If and when the vaccine comes, it’s not likely to go through all the tests that need to be done, and the trials that are needed to be done."

In September:

The enormous pressure being put on the FDA to say they’re going, that the following protocol will in fact reduce, it will have a giant impact on COVID. All these things turn out not to be true, and when a president continues to mislead and lie, when we finally do, God willing, get a vaccine, who’s going to take the shot? Who’s going to take the shot? You going to be the first one to say, ‘Put me — sign me up, they now say it’s OK’? I’m not being facetious."

• Plus1 2
Just now, DevoHusker said:

This was Joe in August last year:

"The way he (Trump) talks about the vaccine is not particularly rational. He’s talking about it being ready, he’s going to talk about moving it quicker than the scientists think it should be moved … . People don’t believe that he’s telling the truth, therefore they’re not at all certain they’re going to take the vaccine. And one more thing: If and when the vaccine comes, it’s not likely to go through all the tests that need to be done, and the trials that are needed to be done."

In September:

The enormous pressure being put on the FDA to say they’re going, that the following protocol will in fact reduce, it will have a giant impact on COVID. All these things turn out not to be true, and when a president continues to mislead and lie, when we finally do, God willing, get a vaccine, who’s going to take the shot? Who’s going to take the shot? You going to be the first one to say, ‘Put me — sign me up, they now say it’s OK’? I’m not being facetious."

I already brought those up and no one replied :-( 

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, Redux said:

I find it funny that people try to solely blame the Republicans for hesitancy to get a vaccine that was developed in record time, isn't FDA approved, cause side effects that mimic the virus it protects against in some instances, doesn't actually prevent contracting or spreading covid in some instances, is useless against the mutation variant and is being politicized left and right.

Yeah, can't imagine why people are hesitant....

That said, I'll probably get the Moderna version

Do you have any support for the bolded?  Which vaccine is useless against which variant? 

• Plus1 1

23 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

Do you have any support for the bolded?  Which vaccine is useless against which variant? 

Why don't you tell me?

Edit*  Looked quick, Phizer for example thus far is onlu estimated at 88% effectiveness against Delta variant compared to the 93% effectiveness rate of the Alpha.  While this is still a high number, it's a significant drop due to the expected mutation much the same way the FLU shot works.  And it's still early, so this 88% will continue to drop.

1 hour ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

You don't think any of these statements could have caused hesitancy? Like not even a little? 

“If and when the vaccine comes, it’s not likely to go through all the tests … and trials that are needed to be done.”

“When we finally do, God willing, get a vaccine, who’s going to take the shot? Who’s going to take the shot? Are you going to be the first one to say sign me up?”

“The question of whether it’s real, when it’s there, that requires enormous transparency. You got to make all of it available to other experts across the nation, so they can look and see. So there’s consensus, this is a safe vaccine.” 

“Only if it was completely transparent, that other experts in the country could look at it. Only if we knew all of what went into it, because so far nothing he’s told us has been true.”

“If the public health professionals, if Dr. Fauci, if the doctors tell us that we should take it, I’ll be the first in line to take it, absolutely. But if Donald Trump tells us that we should take it, I’m not taking it.”

Or articles such as this, 

Democrats Fear Trump Will Rush Unsafe Vaccine To Help His Reelection Bid | HuffPost

Fact check: Coronavirus vaccine could come this year, Trump says. Experts say he needs a 'miracle' to be right. (nbcnews.com)

Biden, Seizing on Worries of a Rushed Vaccine, Warns Trump Can’t Be Trusted - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

Again we can criticize Trump for a lot of things, we can criticize the GOP for several things, but lets stop pretending that freedom of choice in EUA vaccination is the same as anti-vax. The entire undertone during the election were doubt Trump dont trust Trump or a "Trump approval of a vaccine" They might have been rushed. We need full transparency etc. This isnt a blame one side or the other this is a blame politics in general. Recently IE post election you could place more blame on the GOP in terms of potential vaccine hesitancy but again most of them are advocating for freedom of choice. Which is quite ironic given many of their positions on other topics for the last several decades. 

Bumping because it needs to be bumped

• Plus1 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1
11 minutes ago, Redux said:

Why don't you tell me?

Edit*  Looked quick, Phizer for example thus far is onlu estimated at 88% effectiveness against Delta variant compared to the 93% effectiveness rate of the Alpha.  While this is still a high number, it's a significant drop due to the expected mutation much the same way the FLU shot works.  And it's still early, so this 88% will continue to drop.

So not "useless" then.