The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

46 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

As a general rule for everyone else, please don’t follow this advice.  

Not in every case, of course. But in this case the nurse informed us the doctor was really big on a medication one of the pharma reps was plying him with, and the nurses didn't think it was effective, or even healthy, based on spending far more time and follow ups with the patients than the doctor ever did.

I also had two orthopedic surgeons who were straight up wrong, and cost me a couple years of rehab. After the fact, I found out the support staff was afraid to warn the patients about this arrogant d******d who didn't want to spend any time explaining things to his patients. 

Right now my primary care is a practice with both an elderly doctor and a young nurse practitioner trading off. They're both fine and they typically agree with each other, but I think she has more of an ear to the ground in terms of current research.  My new orthopedic surgeon seems solid. We eventually got an awesome pediatrician. 

As a general rule, follow my advice, not Archy's. 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Not in every case, of course. But in this case the nurse informed us the doctor was really big on a medication one of the pharma reps was plying him with, and the nurses didn't think it was effective, or even healthy, based on spending far more time and follow ups with the patients than the doctor ever did.

I also had two orthopedic surgeons who were straight up wrong, and cost me a couple years of rehab. After the fact, I found out the support staff was afraid to warn the patients about this arrogant d******d who didn't want to spend any time explaining things to his patients. 

Right now my primary care is a practice with both an elderly doctor and a young nurse practitioner trading off. They're both fine and they typically agree with each other, but I think she has more of an ear to the ground in terms of current research.  My new orthopedic surgeon seems solid. We eventually got an awesome pediatrician. 

As a general rule, follow my advice, not Archy's. 

I would agree that there lots of very knowledgeable and helpful PAs and Nurse Practitioners but there is a big ol’ red flag problem if they are advising you to ignore the doctor regardless the rationale.  That would be time to find a new doctors office and also some new support staff. JMO.

• Plus1 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1
13 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I would agree that there lots of very knowledgeable and helpful PAs and Nurse Practitioners but there is a big ol’ red flag problem if they are advising you to ignore the doctor regardless the rationale.  That would be time to find a new doctors office and also some new support staff. JMO.

Couldn’t agree more. 

• Thanks 1
35 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Yeah, we found a new pediatrician.

This isn't always easy, as a majority of doctors either aren't accepting new patients or don't take your insurance plan. 

10 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Yeah, we found a new pediatrician.

This isn't always easy, as a majority of doctors either aren't accepting new patients or don't take your insurance plan. 

Yeah, ain’t none of it easy anymore. It’s been pretty jacked up for 20-30 years now.

So back to the point that started this. I don’t think there is any shortage of doctors who are not happy with the system and who wouldn’t leave the profession for the right opportunity. I’m sure the money makes leaving it behind tough but it has to wear on them. I know quite a few who have left or are not enamored with it. I sure as heck wouldn’t do it (for very long) no matter the paycheck.

24 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I think early retirement is a big issue across the board, leading to lots of job shortages.

The teaching profession is taking a big hit. Not just early retirement, either. My brother said a couple youngish teachers at Lincoln East just walked away from their classes mid-semester. 

In the first year of the pandemic, there were three times more people that retired than normal. 

That takes a huge hit on the labor force. Then, figured in that nobody wants to fix immigration. 

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I think early retirement is a big issue across the board, leading to lots of job shortages.

The teaching profession is taking a big hit. Not just early retirement, either. My brother said a couple youngish teachers at Lincoln East just walked away from their classes mid-semester. 

We had one in our building leave at Christmas.  I know at least two other building in our district had at least one Leave at semester also.

There are also at least 2 teachers in my building under the age of 40 that plan on finishing the year but are actively looking for jobs outside of education.

We have a certified staff of 30.  Assuming the two teachers find other jobs, we will have lost 10% of our staff not even counting the few that are retirement age and could decide to call it quits.

10 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Jeezuz, I guess I didn’t realize so many places still had mask mandates. We haven’t had to wear any around here for many months. Of course doctor offices, hospitals etc. still require them but really nowhere else. I’m not sure about our schools.

It's way past time for these places to get back to normal. People can still wear them if they so choose.  

Interestingly, a couple weeks ago I spent a few days in Vail skiing.  Nowhere did anyone require a mask other than on the public busses.  

But, when we went to eat lunch at a lodge at the top of the mountain, they required masks AND proof of vaccination before even entering.  The weird thing is, this was the least populated place we were at.

I'm assuming it was some federal mandate and the mountain is federal land.

• Plus1 1
24 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

It's way past time for these places to get back to normal. People can still wear them if they so choose.  

Interestingly, a couple weeks ago I spent a few days in Vail skiing.  Nowhere did anyone require a mask other than on the public busses.  

But, when we went to eat lunch at a lodge at the top of the mountain, they required masks AND proof of vaccination before even entering.  The weird thing is, this was the least populated place we were at.

I'm assuming it was some federal mandate and the mountain is federal land.

Nope, it's a Vail Resorts policy.  Same thing with Alterra in places like Winter Park and Eldora.