The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

42 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I understand the peanut allergies are real.  What I don't get is why does there seem to be more and kids having these.  When I was a kid, it was never heard of.

I can sorta explain that - allergies are all driven by exposure ... when I (and I assume many of you here at HB) were young, as soon as we could say "I'm hungry" mom was giving us pb, on a spoon, on celery, on an apple - I remember zero kids with nut allergies.  Then folks started waiting to expose their kids (I blame the move to breast feeding kids and being more aware of what they were exposed to starting with what mom eats)

Like the first year in pre school every kid gets sick all the time, they get more immune to more things as they are around school (and people and germs) more.  As some of my parents aged folks would say "kids need to eat dirt - makes em' healthier".

3 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

I can sorta explain that - allergies are all driven by exposure ... when I (and I assume many of you here at HB) were young, as soon as we could say "I'm hungry" mom was giving us pb, on a spoon, on celery, on an apple - I remember zero kids with nut allergies.  Then folks started waiting to expose their kids (I blame the move to breast feeding kids and being more aware of what they were exposed to starting with what mom eats)

Like the first year in pre school every kid gets sick all the time, they get more immune to more things as they are around school (and people and germs) more.  As some of my parents aged folks would say "kids need to eat dirt - makes em' healthier".

There is a lot of truth to that. Being exposed to more things does tend to bolster kids defenses. But I’m not sure how well that explains the rapid increase in peanut allergies. It seems to me that a life threatening allergic reaction would have to be pretty inate. It was just unheard of when I was a kid.

I do think a lot of kids and parents nowadays assume things are allergies with no real diagnosis. I know quite a few kids that claim to be allergic to things and in a lot of cases it’s just things they don’t like.

I have an employee (my age) that is absolutely convinced in the “eat dirt” thing. He will not, does not, wash his hands after using the toilet. He is convinced that is healthier and builds his immunity to things like e. coli. He’s just a pig….and I have basically told him that numerous times. He always wants to give you a sample of some thing he has prepared at home (homemade sausage, smoked meats, etc) I wouldn’t ever touch anything his fecal matter contaminated hands have ever handled.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I understand the peanut allergies are real.  What I don't get is why does there seem to be more and kids having these.  When I was a kid, it was never heard of.

It really is not that big, I get the health issues of all my students and out of the 150 or so that I teach I think 1 has nut allergy.  

The difference today is that now things are done for that one kid where when we were in school it was just "Yeah, don't eat nuts"

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
2 minutes ago, teachercd said:

It really is not that big, I get the health issues of all my students and out of the 150 or so that I teach I think 1 has nut allergy.  

The difference today is that now things are done for that one kid where when we were in school it was just "Yeah, don't eat nuts"

I think this explains the recent prominence better. When we were kids we weren’t coddled. Parents didn’t attend every sports practice with us. We actually had pick up games of football, basketball, baseball etc. that our parents weren’t even aware of (until sombody got bloody or broke something). But now we have parents who want to protect and control everything no matter how much it infringes on others. Their little darling angels are the only things that matter, everyone else be damned.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

41 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I think this explains the recent prominence better. When we were kids we weren’t coddled. Parents didn’t attend every sports practice with us. We actually had pick up games of football, basketball, baseball etc. that our parents weren’t even aware of (until sombody got bloody or broke something). But now we have parents who want to protect and control everything no matter how much it infringes on others. Their little darling angels are the only things that matter, everyone else be damned.

Yep.

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Totally agree on allergies. It’s out of control and real. I am not sure why. My wife and I have theories but who knows. I think it has to do with the environment we live in and stuff we ingest. My kid can now eat baked goods with eggs and stuff like mayo doesn’t seem to affect him. We accidentally test drove mayo the other day on a burger. The egg allergies have subsided with exposures and stress tests. Introducing a little at a time seems to build a tolerance. We used National Jewish in Denver for the help. His twin brother has zero allergies so far….Except maybe horses.:lol:

2 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Eh... I don't think so. I think severe food allergies are rare but everybody knows somebody with them. Rotten on Netflix has a good episode on them, doesn't go into why it's so prevalent though. The interesting thing is that some people can be reintroduced to the foods that they are allergic to in very small doses and slowly build up their tolerance to eat like a normal person. One of the big morning show DJs here talks all the time about how it worked for him with nuts.

We had a kid a couple grades younger in elementary school who was allergic to latex. Really sucked when they got rid of all the good dodgeballs in gym class.

19 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Eh... I don't think so. I think severe food allergies are rare but everybody knows somebody with them. Rotten on Netflix has a good episode on them, doesn't go into why it's so prevalent though. The interesting thing is that some people can be reintroduced to the foods that they are allergic to in very small doses and slowly build up their tolerance to eat like a normal person. One of the big morning show DJs here talks all the time about how it worked for him with nuts.

We had a kid a couple grades younger in elementary school who was allergic to latex. Really sucked when they got rid of all the good dodgeballs in gym class.

I don’t know what you’re disagreeing with. Obviously some allergies are very real and of course some are due to lack of exposure. But there is no question that parents today are different than they were when I was a kid. I’ve seen it and it’s not really anecdotal.

• Plus1 1

44 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I don’t know what you’re disagreeing with. Obviously some allergies are very real and of course some are due to lack of exposure. But there is no question that parents today are different than they were when I was a kid. I’ve seen it and it’s not really anecdotal.

Yeah, like I was saying, I have taught forever and usually there are 3-4 kids in the entire school that have a nut allergy. 

You know what is big all of a sudden.  f#&%ing asthma!  No s#!t, ever kid seems to have that.

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Yeah, like I was saying, I have taught forever and usually there are 3-4 kids in the entire school that have a nut allergy. 

You know what is big all of a sudden.  f#&%ing asthma!  No s#!t, ever kid seems to have that.

I want asthma on mile run day :lol:

3 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Seemed like you were trying to infer that coddling led to "more" allergies.