Dem VP choice

VP Choice  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

14 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I like this reply:

It may happen during the first term.  :dunno    I think both could do the job.

Warren - has the policy smarts that African Americans like and the support of most progressives.  But is not a 'generational' or racial change.

Harris:  A generational and racial change, but  has not proven her policy smarts and commitment.

Who do you like @Moiraine  ?

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a name I never would have thought of -  and I bet you didn't either... Karen who?

Probably a diversion tactic.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2020/07/karen-bass-joe-biden-running-mate/613975/

The first time Representative Karen Bass heard Joe Biden talk about the car crash that killed his wife and infant daughter, she dropped into her chair, overwhelmed.

It was 2008, and Bass was watching the Democratic National Convention video introducing Biden as the party’s vice-presidential nominee. Less than two years earlier, Bass’s daughter and son-in-law had died in a car crash on the 405. Bass, then in her 50s, had thrown herself into her job as the speaker of the California assembly and hoped to get past the pain. But there was Biden, 36 years after the tragedy that shattered his family, still talking about the magnitude of his loss. “I had this moment,” Bass told me, “where I had to come to grips with the fact that losing my daughter and son-in-law was always going to be a part of the narrative of who I am.”

Four years later, as Biden and Barack Obama were being reelected, Bass won a seat in the House, representing parts of Los Angeles. But she didn’t tell Biden what he’d meant to her until this March, when she introduced him at a Super Tuesday chicken-and-waffles event. “We both just shared that you learn how to get up in the morning,” she told me. “You learn how to live, but your life is fundamentally changed, dramatically changed.”

Now, much to Bass’s—and pretty much everyone else’s—surprise, Biden’s team is taking her seriously as a potential vice-presidential running mate. One theory is that she’s being vetted to help Biden win favor with the Congressional Black Caucus, which she chairs. Another is that Biden is trying to use the process to elevate as many black women as he can. Yet another is that he’s looking to distract people from speculating about some of the more likely choices. But inside the Biden campaign is another consideration: Over the next month, he’s effectively going to decide whether there will be a competitive Democratic primary in 2024 (or maybe 2028, if he wins and tries to serve until he’s 86 years old). He’s the leader of the party now. Will he decide its future by anointing a successor, or pick someone, like Bass, who’s less likely to run for president?

Biden has wanted to be president for almost 40 years. Now that the White House finally seems within reach, he does not want to be outshone, according to people who know him. He wants to win, but he wants the win to be about him, not his running mate.

Warren, is the hand while Biden is the mouth piece  behind Biden's recent policy proposals.  Her stock may be rising as the trust VP choice.   I think with Biden we'll get someone who recognizes what others bring to the table instead of proclaiming himself as the smartest one in the room - even smarter than generals.

https://www.axios.com/warren-biden-influence-policies-76513650-bf21-4f32-8ca5-68802b35ebe9.html

As Joe Biden rolls out new policy details and speeches around his major campaign platforms, the hand of one primary-rival-turned-VP-contender is increasingly visible: Sen. Elizabeth Warren.

Why it matters: If Biden wins in November, it's clear that Warren will significantly shape his approach — on domestic policy in particular — whether or not her name's on the ticket.

• Her influence helps explain why Warren is still seen as a strong potential pick in a year when being 71 and white probably works against her.
  • Biden is expected to announce his running mate in early August from an all-female shortlist of candidates.

Driving the news: The climate plan Biden touted in a speech this week includes an expedited target date for 100% clean electricity on a timetable favored by Warren and another former contender, Jay Inslee, as Reuters noted.

• Several elements of Biden's economic recovery plan released last week were directly influenced by Warren and her team, three people familiar with the discussions told Axios and Biden campaign officials confirmed.

The big picture: Biden has so far publicly adopted at least six policy stances shaped by Warren and her team.

• Plus1 1

Is Senator Harris actively trying to undermine other candidates by planting negative stories about them?  This writer thinks so.

Does she want it toooooo much?  Is that a red flag that perhaps she is all about power??    Once in the WH as VP will she also try to subvert old man Biden to try to get him to leave office sooner than later (thinking an Amend 24, Article 4 type issue)??  Just some random thoughts after reading the article.

https://freebeacon.com/2020-election/kamala-harris-oppo-dump/

• Thanks 1
10 hours ago, TGHusker said:

Is Senator Harris actively trying to undermine other candidates by planting negative stories about them?  This writer thinks so.

Does she want it toooooo much?  Is that a red flag that perhaps she is all about power??    Once in the WH as VP will she also try to subvert old man Biden to try to get him to leave office sooner than later (thinking an Amend 24, Article 4 type issue)??  Just some random thoughts after reading the article.

https://freebeacon.com/2020-election/kamala-harris-oppo-dump/

Is this a subtle joke?

Only two women of color—Harris and Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D., Mass.)—campaigned for the Democratic presidential nomination.

I've had a gut feeling for awhile that Biden's role for the DNP is to get elected and step down within 2 years or so.  Some kind of "health issue" as a reason to resign (wink, wink) so that it will be applauded as "honorable".

Stepping in to presidency is the vice president, and endorsed with praise and applause.

I'm not conspiring, so it's not a conspiracy.  Just telling you like I see it.

But the DNP's plan and true candidate needs to sneak in, and it will be the VP chosen for Biden.

Biden is just a puppet in a basement.  The real choice "secretly planned" behind the DNP will take over, and Pelosi will become acting VP.  Meanwhile, Biden will get his pic on a plaque and his name in the history books.  Smiles and great health updates afterwards.  And everybody between them are happy.  Because, It's just politics.

I'm not trying to ruffle feathers, but I just cannot figure out any other reason why this 80 year old man is the best person to represent the democratic party, as choice for president of the united states of america..... since Hilary lost????

Seriously.  Joe Biden was the plan 4 years ago til now.  SMDH

Something has got to be going on behind the curtain.  Otherwise that's just nuts.

In a few weeks it will all be telling. 

• Haha 2
14 minutes ago, admo said:

I've had a gut feeling for awhile that Biden's role for the DNP is to get elected and step down within 2 years or so.  Some kind of "health issue" as a reason to resign (wink, wink) so that it will be applauded as "honorable".

Stepping in to presidency is the vice president, and endorsed with praise and applause.

But the DNP's plan and true candidate needs to sneak in, and it will be the VP chosen for Biden.

Biden is just a puppet in a basement.  The real choice "secretly planned" behind the DNP will take over, and Pelosi will become acting VP.  Meanwhile, Biden will get his pic on a plaque and his name in the history books.  Smiles and great health updates afterwards.  And everybody between them are happy.  Because, It's just politics.

I'm not trying to ruffle feathers, but I just cannot figure out any other reason why this 80 year old man is the best person to represent the democratic party, as choice for president of the united states of america..... since Hilary lost????

Something has got to be going on behind the curtain.  Otherwise that's just nuts.

Trump won a nomination too. That was more nuts. There isn't some secret plan for Biden to do half a term. Voters are just dumb. The other problem is he was the most well known so that gave him a leg up at the start.

Probably.  I was shocked he won.  Happy, but shocked.

I hope there isn't a secret plan.  It's just a crazy gut feeling. 

Our country needs mending, a feeling of togetherness and brotherhood, and new leadership badly.

6 hours ago, admo said:

I think you're giving the Democrats far too much respect to come up with this plan and execute it over four years. They barely seem able to hold together a slam-dunk impeachment process, and they haven't done well with the Russian problem - and Trump is still talking secretly to Putin all the time, as recently as two days ago. 

The Democrats aren't some nefarious force. They're more like they Keystone Kops. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
14 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Is this a subtle joke?

Must be some stupid error by the writer and an opps by the editing team - if they have one.

Related - this article says Rep Bass or Sen Duckworth are the final 2.    Bass has been chairing the Congressional Black Caucus and Duckworth has a compelling story as an injured Iraqi vet.  So they aren't without qualifications but neither really excite me. While I understand the desire for a African Amer female VP at this unique time in our history, I think the first consideration should be to determine if they have the skill and experience to lead the nation at this time.  Perhaps they both have the experience to do so.  While I was familiar with Duckworth, I wasn't with Bass.   I guess at this point, and this goes against my conservative leanings, I would lean towards Warren because of her vision and policy smarts.  I think she could be a good leader (which the country needs at this point more so than someone who is perfect on policy).  After the Covid 19 crisis is over with, there will be a lot of parts of our society that will need to be put back together.  That will take leadership and vision - we won't be the same and we can not go back to 'what was'.  Warren I think has the comprehensive vision to understand the needs of all Americans and esp those on main street and not just wall street.   If Biden knows he is somewhat of a transitional president, then his VP pick must set the stage for what is coming after the transition.  It cannot be MEH (not pointing the finger at anyone in particular wt the MEH). Time for him to be bold.

https://californiaglobe.com/congress/source-coelho-pushing-biden-to-pick-bass/