Things to Do While Social Distancing

Went to a shooting range on the National Grasslands today. A few more people than I anticipated being out in the middle of nowhere but pretty easy to maintain good distancing. Finally got a few rounds through my new toys (Smithfield Armory XD-M 9mm handgun and an Aero Precision AR-15). Kinda fun. I do need to get better hearing protection though. Feel like I just spent 4 hours in the front row of an AC/DC concert and we were only out there for about an hour.

No church yesterday so I decided to clear out a giant stump of a toppled tree from our back yard.  The tree blew over in a wind storm several years ago.  It was a maple about 40 inches in diameter, and stood about 40 feet high.  I had a crew saw up the tree and haul it off shortly after the storm.  But they wanted a small fortune to take the toppled stump away.  So it has just sat in my yard for the last several years.  Sort of an eye sore.  After a lot of cutting, prying and splitting I managed to whittle part of it down into chunks small enough for me to lift into my truck.  I hauled about half of it away yesterday.  Damn, that was a lot of work.     

16 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Went to a shooting range on the National Grasslands today. A few more people than I anticipated being out in the middle of nowhere but pretty easy to maintain good distancing. Finally got a few rounds through my new toys (Smithfield Armory XD-M 9mm handgun and an Aero Precision AR-15). Kinda fun. I do need to get better hearing protection though. Feel like I just spent 4 hours in the front row of an AC/DC concert and we were only out there for about an hour.

Well worth the investment.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/shooting/shooting-accessories/hearing-protection-enhancement/pc/104792580/c/104769180/sc/104381280/cabelas-quad-e-muff/3258308.uts?slotId=14

• Plus1 1
59 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Do you have this exact same earmuff? I ask because that link had  only 1 review and it wasn't good.

So does the sound attenuation kick in before the sound gets to your ears? The specs say .02 seconds but I'm not smart enough to know if that's quick enough.  I don't really need the amplification or sound enhancement but that would be a nice feature as long as they'll still protect my hearing. I think I'll still double up with foam plugs underneath. My right ear is still jacked up but it is getting better.

52 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Do you have this exact same earmuff? I ask because that link had  only 1 review and it wasn't good.

So does the sound attenuation kick in before the sound gets to your ears? The specs say .02 seconds but I'm not smart enough to know if that's quick enough.  I don't really need the amplification or sound enhancement but that would be a nice feature as long as they'll still protect my hearing. I think I'll still double up with foam plugs underneath. My right ear is still jacked up but it is getting better.

I don't have these exact ones.  My wife got them for my son and I a couple years ago for Christmas.  The ones we have are awesome.  You can stand there and carry on a normal conversation and then when you shoot, some how it detects it before it ever gets to your ears and it deadens it....then immediately, you can talk again and hear.

Now that I looked more, I think these are the actual ones we have.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/2225038.uts?MDK=dynbanP_TR&MDC=cat104381280

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Am I the only dad on here cringing about using the garage door as a back stop?

I've just gone down a rabbit hole with these videos. This whole family is really good at this. Dad is Noah Vaughn, who's in the A's minor-league system.  Mom played college softball, sister (who I think is the one who hits the dinger in the second video) plays or played for Texas A&M, one of the kids is a top prep baseball prospect. There's half a dozen videos of these guys whipping pitches at each other.  I'm not sure what ball they're using, but when it hits the garage door it doesn't leave a mark. Some kind of wiffle ball?

• Plus1 1
On 4/28/2020 at 6:09 AM, funhusker said:

Am I the only dad on here cringing about using the garage door as a back stop?

On 4/28/2020 at 7:41 AM, BigRedBuster said:

Oh, believe me, that's the first thought that went through my mind....and it doesn't look like a cheep door either.

Ha. My son used our 3rd stall single door as a backstop for his hockey net for years. The first couple dings really bothered me but after awhile it just seemed easier than hanging a larger net. I got lucky on a hailstorm and the insurance company replaced it even when I told them most of the dents were older from hockey pucks. I guess it helped that pretty much everything on that side of the house sustained damage.