Police Reform

6 hours ago, Moiraine said:

He’s saying right in the post you’re quoting to turn them off when back at the precinct. It wouldn’t apply to having a meal with the family. But the bathroom thing is a good point.

My original thought was they should not have it off when on duty. Not take away the ability to turn it off but there need to be repercussions if it’s turned off to hide something. 

Officers with kids and spouses go home to eat all the time on duty...when you work 3-3 you see them when you can...so an officer has to leave the cam on and film their family and residence...or not see the spouse/fam?

Why not have the body cam remotely controlled, and have Dispatch turn them on and off at the Officer's request?

Officer goes home to eat dinner, they're going to call that in. Request turn-off of body cam, Dispatch turns it off, officer has family time, goes back on duty, Dispatch turns it back on.

I think leaving that control in the hands of the officer leads to abuse.

• Plus1 1
29 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Why not have the body cam remotely controlled, and have Dispatch turn them on and off at the Officer's request?

Officer goes home to eat dinner, they're going to call that in. Request turn-off of body cam, Dispatch turns it off, officer has family time, goes back on duty, Dispatch turns it back on.

One of the most sensible things I have heard today...

Granted, it is still early lol

1 hour ago, DevoHusker said:

Officers with kids and spouses go home to eat all the time on duty...when you work 3-3 you see them when you can...so an officer has to leave the cam on and film their family and residence...or not see the spouse/fam?

It’s obvious that’s not what I’m saying should happen. 

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

That's a better idea. I'm looking for solutions that don't allow officers to control when the camera is recording. You'd think they wouldn't be able to get away with turning them off, but that's clearly not working.

9 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Here's a civil rights attorney that's been collecting the video evidence of all the police violence. You can make a case the protesters instigated in some of these cases, but there's probably over a hundred videos now and the police are the instigators in most of them and more violent in all of them.

https://twitter.com/greg_doucette

He's actually got over 300 videos now:

6 minutes ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

When is the last time you did anything to stop a bad cop?

Don't make this personal about another poster who has shared their occupation. I'm sure you wouldn't like it if we knew your occupation and speculated on all the ways you haven't reformed it.

Keep the conservation about the system and the individual actions we're seeing on video.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
9 hours ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

It sure is because he's basically saying that there a hardly any good cops and mainly all of us are bad so I take offense to that and I'll call it what it is. Complete and utter bulls#!t! 

I guess I didn’t take the comments that way.  I agree with you that good cops are the overwhelming majority.  It’s the cowardly a$$h@!e cops that are getting all the attention right now.  And that leads to a certain perception, which becomes reality.   Thus the need for police reform.   

5 minutes ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

Can we really get rid of the police unions? People have the right to unionize although in the case of the police unions maybe some of their power should be stripped? Getting rid of the unions or "busting" them could be a slippery slope we don't want to go down.

I don't have a problem with unions per se  and think they're generally very important but given their entire job is to defend workers in their sector, police unions have to go to bat for the worst of the worst and wind up defending the very behavior we're trying to eliminate.

10 minutes ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

When is the last time you did anything to stop a bad cop?

What makes you think I need to answer your question at this point? I can answer it so don't come back with your response of "see, typical" because you're crossing a line with me at this point! But I'm going to choose NOT to answer you because you don't deserve the answer to that. Can't wait to leave this line of work because of people like yourself and your line of thinking! :facepalm:

• Plus1 2