Police Reform

25 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

She's living in a world where people actually read past headlines and refrain from knee-jerk emotional reactions.

Responsible thinking isn't something that's common in the real world.  "Defund the police" is a stupid "slogan".

I'm sure I'll get asked for better, here's a few:

"Fix the police"

"Make police our partners"

"Peaceful police for peaceful community"

"Police relief"

I'm not a police officer, but I would imagine they would love it if they were able to approach a traffic stop without having their mind think about where it might lead to.  What if "traffic police" were only allowed to ticket for the reason for the stop?  They could obviously make sure the driver is in a condition to drive, but that's it.  A failure to use a blinker couldn't lead to a total search that finds a few ounces of weed and leads to an arrest.  There would have to be some wording to detain immanent threats.

But just think how many situations could be avoided if everyone involved in the stop knew, the worst I'm going to get is a ticket and I'll be on my way.

• Plus1 2
28 minutes ago, funhusker said:

She's living in a world where people actually read past headlines and refrain from knee-jerk emotional reactions.

Responsible thinking isn't something that's common in the real world.  "Defund the police" is a stupid "slogan".

I'm sure I'll get asked for better, here's a few:

"Fix the police"

"Make police our partners"

"Peaceful police for peaceful community"

"Police relief"

I'm not a police officer, but I would imagine they would love it if they were able to approach a traffic stop without having their mind think about where it might lead to.  What if "traffic police" were only allowed to ticket for the reason for the stop?  They could obviously make sure the driver is in a condition to drive, but that's it.  A failure to use a blinker couldn't lead to a total search that finds a few ounces of weed and leads to an arrest.  There would have to be some wording to detain immanent threats.

But just think how many situations could be avoided if everyone involved in the stop knew, the worst I'm going to get is a ticket and I'll be on my way.

She's also pointing out that there's been "reform the police" before and it gets co-opted into something much else than what's needed. And notice her second tweet where she highlights that there needs to be a discussion of what needs to be funded.

I'm not sure if "defund the police" is a good slogan or not, but it seems more effective at generating real conversations around what needs to happen than "fix the police" or "reform the police".

1 minute ago, RedDenver said:

She's also pointing out that there's been "reform the police" before and it gets co-opted into something much else than what's needed. And notice her second tweet where she highlights that there needs to be a discussion of what needs to be funded.

I'm not sure if "defund the police" is a good slogan or not, but it seems more effective at generating real conversations around what needs to happen than "fix the police" or "reform the police".

This isn't something I've been privy to.  At least not with family members that think differently than I do.  It's actually caused them to become even more adamantly against BLM.

27 minutes ago, funhusker said:

This isn't something I've been privy to.  At least not with family members that think differently than I do.  It's actually caused them to become even more adamantly against BLM.

My experience has been that the same people who have become more adamantly against BLM were also adamantly against police reform before. I have had some people start discussing defunding the police though. They've started out incredulous anyone is even considering it, then I bring up how we've already defunded education and that gives an opening for a discussion.