The 2024 Presidential Election- The LONG General Election

Pick your Candidate  

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I've said for a long time that the biggest problem with our political system is the primary system.  We need regional primaries.  Start them beginning of May.  Have them done by end June.  Candidates then have 4 months to campaign for the general election in November.  With media and technology nowadays, they don't need more than that.

How can you have Iowa that is, supposedly, so important....then Nebraska right across the river and ours are absolutely meaningless?

This is a really smart idea and like you said, with more and more tech, this just makes more and more sense. 

• Plus1 1

27 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Once in office and no longer campaigning, what real-world actions you envision Ron DeSantis doing differently than Nikki Haley?

Immigration policy, or what bill would actually be signed by the President, would be different between the two as an example.  

29 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Also, I know "globalist" gets thrown around as a pejorative, but I'd like to see a cheat sheet of the international military, political and economic/trade engagements a good GOP candidate would jettison once in office, and how that might play out. It's not a trick question: Pretty much every American wonders about our priorities, and our core commitments tend to remain unchanged regardless of the party in power. 

Let’s take NATO for example.   A great example of military cooperation amongst countries that the US was paying a larger portion of the freight than they are supposed to.   Previous to 2017, our leaders didn’t care we were getting hosed a bit.   So Trump said, let’s make everyone pay their fair share.   It’s not jettison a policy or agreement, it’s making sure the agreement is enforced the way it’s supposed to.   

NAFTA…..one of the biggest disasters of a trade agreement for the US Middle Class  I can think of.   So one sided, but the political leaders and business poster brokers were fine with putting the interests of the American people behind those of other countries and companies trying to make an extra buck.  I think Nikki would be fine if something like this came about again and I don’t think DeSantis would.   

We are the worlds police yet we all b!^@h and moan about military expenditures.    Maybe it’s time to stop being the worlds police and just get involved when our interests are attacked.  

• TBH 2
22 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Immigration policy, or what bill would actually be signed by the President, would be different between the two as an example.  

Let’s take NATO for example.   A great example of military cooperation amongst countries that the US was paying a larger portion of the freight than they are supposed to.   Previous to 2017, our leaders didn’t care we were getting hosed a bit.   So Trump said, let’s make everyone pay their fair share.   It’s not jettison a policy or agreement, it’s making sure the agreement is enforced the way it’s supposed to.   

NAFTA…..one of the biggest disasters of a trade agreement for the US Middle Class  I can think of.   So one sided, but the political leaders and business poster brokers were fine with putting the interests of the American people behind those of other countries and companies trying to make an extra buck.  I think Nikki would be fine if something like this came about again and I don’t think DeSantis would.   

We are the worlds police yet we all b!^@h and moan about military expenditures.    Maybe it’s time to stop being the worlds police and just get involved when our interests are attacked.  

I just imagine Trump, Haley, and DeSantis advancing nearly exact immigration policies --- some of it for campaign theater, and some of it legit. I would also be shocked if Biden and the Dems don't serve up something tougher sounding, some of it for campaign theater, some of it legit. 

Most Americans would prefer NATO countries kick in their fair share, though I'd guess that would fall super low on awareness and priorities. But if this is a simple monetary enforcement of an existing international defense agreement, it would still make Donald Trump a globalist. Does the anti-globalist consider weakening or abandoning NATO entirely? That would be the dream of both the anti-globalist and Vladimir Putin, and it's already part of the GOP discussion. 

NAFTA is/was full of strange bedfellows. I'd totally support bipartisan forensics on how it worked, and didn't and use it as a cautionary tale. Again, hard to say if or why Haley and DeSantis would come at it differently. Once in office you see how the sausage is really made and you have to decide whether to make complex choices or keep pandering to your base.

Yeah, we've been the world's police going on 80 years now and our interests have been both obvious and murky.  If you limited our interests to the free flow of mideast oil and the countries where America's most valuable companies do their biggest business, you'd still have your finger in almost everything. 

• Plus1 3
3 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

This was not Trump's ultimate goal.  His goal is to get us completely out of it.  That would be a disaster.

• TBH 2

3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

He's one of the biggest MAGA people I know.

Can you be MAGA and not somewhat racist:dunno

Yes, I know she is playing to the lowest common denominator trump voter which just gets old and it saddens me when I see people dishonor their own reputation to gain street cred wt trump and his cult members. 

Would love to see Trump lose in NH.  Haley & Trump are in toss up status. 

https://americanresearchgroup.com/pres2024/rep/nhrep.html

New Hampshire

Presidential primary preference:

New Hampshire
Likely Republican Primary Voters 12/20/23 1/3/24 1/15/24

Christie 13% 10% -
DeSantis 6% 5% 4%
Haley 29% 33% 40%
Hutchinson 1% 1% 1%
Ramaswamy 5% 4% 4%
Trump 33% 37% 40%
Other 1% 1% 2%
Undecided 12% 9% 9%

Preference by party registration:

New Hampshire
Likely Republican
Primary Voters
Republicans (68%) Undeclared (32%)

Christie - -
DeSantis 3% 6%
Haley 35% 51%
Hutchinson 1% 1%
Ramaswamy 3% 5%
Trump 47% 24%
Other 2% 3%
Undecided 9% 10%

Preference by age:

New Hampshire
Likely Republican
Primary Voters
18 to 49 (41%) 50 and older (59%)

Christie - -
DeSantis 4% 4%
Haley 40% 40%
Hutchinson 1% 1%
Ramaswamy 5% 3%
Trump 39% 40%
Other 1% 2%
Undecided 10% 10%

Preference by sex:

New Hampshire
Likely Republican
Primary Voters
Male (54%) Female (46%)

Christie - -
DeSantis 2% 6%
Haley 44% 36%
Hutchinson 1% 1%
Ramaswamy 4% 3%
Trump 37% 43%
Other 3% 2%
Undecided 9% 9%

Preference by likely to vote:

New Hampshire
Likely Republican
Primary Voters
Definite - 10 (91%) Probably - 7-9 (9%)

Christie - -
DeSantis 4% 4%
Haley 39% 51%
Hutchinson 1% 1%
Ramaswamy 4% 1%
Trump 41% 26%
Other 2% 6%
Undecided 9% 11%

• TBH 1

12 hours ago, Scarlet said:

I was think of VR this morning - must have been in a nightmare before I woke up - BUT I DIGRESS - I'm thinking that he is a true believer/disciple of the MAGA brand, he is also far more articulate than MAGA cult leader Trump, he is also young, has lots of $$s and can be persuasive with his generation.  Perhaps it isn't the depends wearing, old Trump we have to worry about, but the next in line to take Trump's mantle. He is now out in NH giving speeches for Trump. He is earning his MAGA street cred & if Biden wins in 2024 - VR will be back in 2028 doubling down and being full MAGA.  He'll have 4 more years to prepare.  And he is young enough to wait 8 years if Haley is elected. (But if Haley was elected, I think he would challenge her in 4 years)  This year was all about exposure.  He knew he would never win - but he got his name out into the political sphere and when Trump flames out, all of his cult members will flock over to VR - who will be more trumpier than Trump himself - as VR has said- Trump didn't go far enough with his policies. Trump is the clown show before the main MAGA event.  Outside of J6, Biden has been able to reverse much of the bad Trump has done to our culture & political world.  VR won't be a clown - he will be a wolf in wolf's clothing.  We'll see what happens. 

1 minute ago, TGHusker said:

I was think of VR this morning - must have been in a nightmare before I woke up - BUT I DIGRESS - I'm thinking that he is a true believer/disciple of the MAGA brand, he is also far more articulate than MAGA cult leader Trump, he is also young, has lots of $$s and can be persuasive with his generation.  Perhaps it isn't the depends wearing, old Trump we have to worry about, but the next in line to take Trump's mantle. He is now out in NH giving speeches for Trump. He is earning his MAGA street cred & if Biden wins in 2024 - VR will be back in 2028 doubling down and being full MAGA.  He'll have 4 more years to prepare.  And he is young enough to wait 8 years if Haley is elected. (But if Haley was elected, I think he would challenge her in 4 years)  This year was all about exposure.  He knew he would never win - but he got his name out into the political sphere and when Trump flames out, all of his cult members will flock over to VR - who will be more trumpier than Trump himself - as VR has said- Trump didn't go far enough with his policies. Trump is the clown show before the main MAGA event.  Outside of J6, Biden has been able to reverse much of the bad Trump has done to our culture & political world.  VR won't be a clown - he will be a wolf in wolf's clothing.  We'll see what happens. 

Possibly but I get the vibe that he's even more unlikable than Desantis and dare I say, Trump.  Plus, is MAGA really going to go all in a guy named Vivak Ramaswamy?  

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
  • TGHusker changed the title to The 2024 Presidential Election- The LONG General Election