The 2024 Presidential Election- The LONG General Election

Pick your Candidate  

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

8 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

The RNC is obviously stuck with Trump, but are voters, donors, and Party operatives considering who Trump will appoint if elected?

We are watching him on trial, represented by bargain basement lawyers who don't understand the basics of their own profession. These are the only people who will work for him at this point. Trump alienated all the adults he put in his cabinet in 2016, and the quality of his appointments quickly dwindled as he replaced them with unquestioning loyalists. 

I'd like to think at some point Trump supporters could see through the Witch Hunt and watch these trials simply for the ineptness of Team Trump, and realize that these are the kind of people who will be making decisions for Team America. 

If God wants Donald Trump, why does He not surround him with worthy apostles instead of low-rent douchebags?

Yes and look at the types who are now in Congress due to trump's low quality coattails - MTG, Bobert, Gaetz, etc.  The low quality representatives now have an inept MAGA Speaker of the House  who is even worse than the previous Speaker McCartney.  

You are right - during the Trump presidency, he had some quality people in some key spots.  None of them will service with him again and that will just leave ring kissers to fill the open offices. 

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Texas is turning blue not because Democrats are mass changing the minds of Republican voters who've lived in the state for decades, it's because people are moving there and are beginning to outnumber them.

Since Reagan was elected (Texas was pretty blue before that) he got 55% of the vote.   Outside of his re-election and the GWB elections (he was from Texas) the R vote percentage has been between 52-57% when no third party was in the race.  That’s 40 years of data for a state that had massive change in demographics.  

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, TGHusker said:

This is very true.  In my state of Oklahoma, we have seen it become more and more red over the years.  When I moved here just prior to Tom's 1st victory over OU in 1978 - which I enjoyed rubbing it in to my new Okla friends - but I digress,  Okla was solidly, firmly a Democrat run state. Dem Congressman Carl Albert was the Speaker of the US House - 3rd in line in 1972.  Things began to change in 1980 with Reagan and his coattails.  In recent elections, Oklahoma has become the reddest of red states.  We have elected a Trump want-to-be business guy as governor, a crackpot is now US Senator Mullen, and all kinds of MAGA crazies on the state level.  I think the evangelical vote was the biggest reason the state turned more red - plus the state wide country commissioner scandal that rocked the state in the early 80s turned many way from the heavily Democratic run local and state govt's.  The Dem party continued tilt leftward accelerated the process,  It took 20-30 years but now Okla is a one party state - this time all Red. 

Interesting article on how Okla went from solid blue to solid red.    I think as Tulsa and OKC grow we may see a moderation - maybe not all the way back to purple but going that direction.  Urbanization tends to point that direction. 

https://projects.oudaily.com/oklahomapolitics/

Since Nixon re-election, Oklahoma R presidential voting has stayed between 60-66% support in every election but 1 I believe.  The last few elections have been consistent in the 65% range.  

The population has increased by 1.2 million people in that timeframe and gotten less white by 10% 82% down to 72%.  

@Dr. Strangelove

As the population has become less white, the voting patterns have become more Republican.  

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Oklahoma

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_elections_in_Oklahoma

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Colorado, for example, didn't switch from swing state to becoming solidly blue because of Democrats changing the minds of Reagan voters from the 1980s. Colorado is blue because young, college educated people have moved into the state from other states essentially out numbering them

Colorados senior citizen population has increased 4.7% as a share of the populace just in the past 12 years :dunno

• Plus1 1
26 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

My previous voting for Trump had no bearing on what The Big Guy is/has gone through.   It wasn’t an issue in 2020 because people like you proclaimed the laptop to be Russian Disinformation despite the IC agencies telling you differently.   Your extreme partisanship prevents you from acknowledging basic facts.  

Your poor political choices also made you believe and probably currently still do that Russia was the cause of the 2016 Trump win and that he collided with Russia.  Your extreme political partisanship keeps you voting for the old man who can’t remember anything.   Unlike you, I will be writing in a candidates name (Ron DeSantis).   You will be voting for a mush brain with a 38% approval rating who gave us an extremely awful border situation and foreign policy disasters.  Congrats!!!!!   

I think Hilary lost because she was such a flawed candidate. First of all, she is a Clinton. Secondly, she is a woman. There are segments of this population that will never be ready for women in authority. I served on a board that had never had a woman. We voted one on and the next day, three members tendered their resignation. This was about 10 years ago. Third, Hilary ignored entire states due to her own hubris. Once DJT won the Republican primary, she felt she had it in the bag. Fourth, like many have said, Trump found an audience and voting block that was previously non-participant. 

While I can appreciate your decision not to vote for DJT, can you acknowledge others fear of what a second term of DJT would look like? You may think they are unfounded fears and that the guardrails will hold our representative democracy together. DJT has stated his intentions and has shown himself to be someone who is building a platform based on vengeance, self enrichment, and self preservation. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

My previous voting for Trump had no bearing on what The Big Guy is/has gone through.   It wasn’t an issue in 2020 because people like you proclaimed the laptop to be Russian Disinformation despite the IC agencies telling you differently.   Your extreme partisanship prevents you from acknowledging basic facts.  

Your poor political choices also made you believe and probably currently still do that Russia was the cause of the 2016 Trump win and that he collided with Russia.  Your extreme political partisanship keeps you voting for the old man who can’t remember anything.   Unlike you, I will be writing in a candidates name (Ron DeSantis).   You will be voting for a mush brain with a 38% approval rating who gave us an extremely awful border situation and foreign policy disasters.  Congrats!!!!!   

This, my friends, is what we call projection.

I do not believe that Trump won in 2016 because of collusion with Russia - they helped his campaign by targeting his gullible voters just like they're doing now. You voted for a rapist and a career conman, and everybody with a half dozen functioning neurons told you it was a bad idea to vote for him and you did it anyway. 

Please, for the good of America, stop voting. You've done enough damage to our institutions as it is.

• Plus1 5
  • Haha 2
2 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

This, my friends, is what we call projection.

I do not believe that Trump won in 2016 because of collusion with Russia - they helped his campaign by targeting his gullible voters just like they're doing now. You voted for a rapist and a career conman, and everybody with a half dozen functioning neurons told you it was a bad idea to vote for him and you did it anyway. 

Please, for the good of America, stop voting. You've done enough damage to our institutions as it is.

Somebody’s testy.  Must have hit a truth nerve.  

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Archy1221 said:

Somebody’s testy.  Must have hit a truth nerve.  

I don't know what this means. 

6 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Colorados senior citizen population has increased 4.7% as a share of the populace just in the past 12 years :dunno

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here. The share of college educated voters in Colorado has increased dramatically since 2010. The share of college educated voters moving to Phoneix and Atlanta are increasing dramatically as well. The reason Biden won Arizona and Georgia isn't because he changed the hearts and minds of the voters in those states, opinions cultivated over decades, it's because people from liberal states moved there.

22 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Since Nixon re-election, Oklahoma R presidential voting has stayed between 60-66% support in every election but 1 I believe.  The last few elections have been consistent in the 65% range.  

The population has increased by 1.2 million people in that timeframe and gotten less white by 10% 82% down to 72%.  

@Dr. Strangelove

As the population has become less white, the voting patterns have become more Republican.  

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Oklahoma

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_elections_in_Oklahoma

Race baiting voters is a thing Republicans do well. These voters aren't historic democrats, they are low propensity voters who don't care about or follow politics until they get angry at something - in this case immigrants - and they vote accordingly.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

You should go on the comedian tour. You could probably get some free drinks from people at the bar. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

4 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

This is fundamentally untrue.

Colorado, for example, didn't switch from swing state to becoming solidly blue because of Democrats changing the minds of Reagan voters from the 1980s. Colorado is blue because young, college educated people have moved into the state from other states essentially out numbering them. Texas is turning blue not because Democrats are mass changing the minds of Republican voters who've lived in the state for decades, it's because people are moving there and are beginning to outnumber them. The same thing is true for other swing states that are now Red, such as Iowa or Ohio. College educated voters are leaving those states, making them redder and redder over time. States change largely because of demographic shifts over time, not because huge swaths of the electorate suddenly change their political views.

What Trump and the MAGA movement have successfully done is awaken huge swaths of voters who didn't care much or participate in politics prior to 2016. By mobilizing an easily manipulated cohort of voters, he has cultivated a powerful political movement that allows him to be competitive in elections. This has also contributed to the red shift in former swing states.

I've told you previously I voted for Ben Sasse in 2020 because his opponent was terrible.

Additionally, you currently believe that Biden is part of a large corruption scandal despite huge swaths of evidence - admitted to even by Republicans - that it is largely made up, without evidence, and includes no crimes. But you believe in this in order to reconcile your own support for corrupt candidates as a two time Trump voter. This makes you a poster child for extreme partisanship studied by academics who are amazed that voters can construct their own reality, devoid of facts or a basis in reason, in order to fit the world around their poor political preferences.

You kind of mention a lot of changes.  

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

Biden knows and remembers more than Donald Trump ever will. It's not even close. That's why any intelligent adviser will have nothing to do with Donald Trump and his madness. Literal madness. Had the country posted the exact same results under Trump, you would be hailing the last three years as success and blaming the failures on Democrat obstructionism. The dangers Trump poses vs. the dangers of a slightly foggier Joe Biden? Again, not even close. 

Hey, here it is 2024, and you know what's a totally legitimate issue? Russian collusion (or colliding -- your choice.)  Your political party continues to follow Donald Trump off a cliff, created by his business dealings with Russia, his tyrant's admiration for Vladimir Putin, and Putin's perverse thrill in exploiting Trump's vanity. And just for fun, it appears your political party gleefully went down a rabbit hole with Russian spies in an attempt to sway yet another election for Trump, and bizarrely clear the runway for Putin to do whatever he wants. At this point, the validity of Russian hookers peeing on a bed doesn't matter a whit to the bigger truth. Your extreme partisanship prevents you from acknowledging basic facts. 

And why would you write in Ron DeSantis? When nothing about 2024 Donald Trump is any different from the runaway train you voted for twice? Let Trump finish the ruinous promises you already supported.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 2
  • Worth a Look 1
  • TGHusker changed the title to The 2024 Presidential Election- The LONG General Election