The season was canceled because, despite five months to work things out, the Big Ten had no plan for player safety

knapplc

2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

The only way this makes sense to me is if the B1G wants to be able to pivot suddenly and decide to play. Let's say the other three conferences get a few weeks into their season and everything is hunky dory, then the B1G wants to be able to suddenly announce conditions have changed and our season is starting in October. If teams have been practicing then they can hurry up and start a schedule.

• Plus1 4
3 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

The only way this makes sense to me is if the B1G wants to be able to pivot suddenly and decide to play. Let's say the other three conferences get a few weeks into their season and everything is hunky dory, then the B1G wants to be able to suddenly announce conditions have changed and our season is starting in October. If teams have been practicing then they can hurry up and start a schedule.

I think that's a very real possibility assuming things do look good.  It'll be Warren's attempt to save face

• Plus1 1
Just now, WyoHusker56 said:

But if they think that is even a slight possibility, why say fall football is cancelled?  Why not push back the schedule back 3-4 weeks?  

(For that matter, why announce a schedule in the first place, but it's obvious there was not forethought going into any of this.)

• Plus1 2
7 minutes ago, Mavric said:

But if they think that is even a slight possibility, why say fall football is cancelled?  Why not push back the schedule back 3-4 weeks?  

(For that matter, why announce a schedule in the first place, but it's obvious there was not forethought going into any of this.)

I mean I don't get why they didn't do that in the first place anyhow. Why do you just outright cancel it instead of saying we need to delay it to be better prepared. I could be way off base, but I just feel like they have to be thinking if the other three conferences pull this off and we cancelled it's major egg on the B1G's face. Agree there is zero forethought in this though.

Warren totally botched this. They come out with a revised schedule a week ago then,  Cancel the fall schedule for a tentative spring Season that will never happen?Then we find out there are no detailed processes and protocols in place ?

To the college football world- The big10 looks like it doesn’t care about football. I get the pac 10 doesn’t,  California, Oregon, Washington, Colorado etc  While our footprint isn’t the bold Hard red of the sec or the big12, we aren’t left coast bright blue either. 

• Plus1 2
30 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Would this even be remotely possible when considering tv contracts, travel scheduling, officiating, etc.?  It would seem there would be a lot of hoops to jump through in short order to even try to throw something like this together.  We aren't even going to have any idea whether the other three conferences can pull it off until pretty much October or later. 

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, junior4949 said:

Would this even be remotely possible when considering tv contracts, travel scheduling, officiating, etc.?  It would seem there would be a lot of hoops to jump through in short order to even try to throw something like this together.  We aren't even going to have any idea whether the other three conferences can pull it off until pretty much October or later. 

I'm not holding my breath with the way they've handled everything us thus far but maybe, just maybe, they're preparing for what they can now, just in case?

But probably not.

22 minutes ago, Omaha fan said:

Warren totally botched this. They come out with a revised schedule a week ago then,  Cancel the fall schedule for a tentative spring Season that will never happen?Then we find out there are no detailed processes and protocols in place ?

To the college football world- The big10 looks like it doesn’t care about football. I get the pac 10 doesn’t,  California, Oregon, Washington, Colorado etc  While our footprint isn’t the bold Hard red of the sec or the big12, we aren’t left coast bright blue either. 

The potential long term problems this creates is the bolded if the other three have their seasons.  While this might not be a big thing to the three star recruits out there looking to get an education, it more than likely will to the five star recruits who want to play in the pros. 

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, Omaha fan said:

The Pac 12 was at least consistent. They made their vote public, the ADs and Coaches seemed to be in agreement, they released the medical info that they had been using to make the decision. I don't think its bad to cancel, but at least come to some sort of an agreement as a conf, hold a formal vote, release the info that lead to that decision. B1G just looks completely unorganized.  

• Plus1 3

5 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

I don't think it would be easy, but when you're talking about billions of dollars people have a funny way of suddenly agreeing and making things work. I mean heck they don't even announce TV times until a couple weeks before games normally. Hotels aren't exactly full right now and you don't have to worry about fans traveling as stadiums will be empty. The officiating might be tough, but I bet they could figure that out.

• Plus1 1

Still feel all the negativity towards Warren is ridiculous and people who are guilty of doing so likely have zero idea of what is truly going on especially when it comes to trying push forward with a major college sport amidst an ongoing deadly global pandemic.  If anything be pissed at all of the mask deniers but also the so called people in charge who also basically denied it for far too long and still take it too lightly all the while with (still) absolutely no plan in place.  America is absolutely paying the price.  Add college football to the list of casualties as far as luxuries that is.

I want normalcy too but it wasn't Warren who 'botched' things.  You need to look higher or imo lower truth be told.  If we can begin to get a handle on the pandemic then we can see about things like will the Huskers play or not.  No one has to agree obv but this entire scenario goes far beyond just 'Kevin Warren'.

2 hours ago, Undone said:

It's kind of a satisfying & subtle shaming of Warren & his office's incompetence.

Exactly

Like me working all day then mowing my yard in the dark when I get home because none of the kids would mow all week

Better yet- bought 30-40 trees for a public school project  to plant around campus. The public school lean on your shovel guy who was supposed to plant them couldn’t find the time. So on my lunch hour in my suit and tie, I planted 10-12 of them, dress shoes and all.

they were all planted the next day.

It works, you don’t get mad, you just do it 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, suh_fan93 said:

Still feel all the negativity towards Warren is ridiculous and people who are guilty of doing so likely have zero idea of what is truly going on especially when it comes to trying push forward with a major college sport amidst an ongoing deadly global pandemic.  If anything be pissed at all of the mask deniers but also the so called people in charge who also basically denied it for far too long and still take it too lightly all the while with (still) absolutely no plan in place.  America is absolutely paying the price.  Add college football to the list of casualties as far as luxuries that is.

I want normalcy too but it wasn't Warren who 'botched' things.  You need to look higher or imo lower truth be told.  If we can begin to get a handle on the pandemic then we can see about things like will the Huskers play or not.  No one has to agree obv but this entire scenario goes far beyond just 'Kevin Warren'.

If Kevin Warren wasn’t responsible for the big10 not having their protocols and processes in place To play this fall should there be a season, whose responsibility was it? Who other than Kevin was supposed to get that done in the last 5 months? Should that have been the Omaha world herald? University of Iowa? Me? My mom? Kevin’s dog? His secretary? The cafeteria bus boy? Who is supposed to do that?? Who can we pin it on? 

Who is responsible for laying out what spring football will look like and how it will be handled safely ? So the players have something they can legitimately look forward to working towards and playing? Nothing, zilch has been communicated because no work had been put into it. 

This talk about just being a figurehead is baloney, Jim Delaney led from the front. He put forth his opinion and made things happen, he wasn’t just a ballot counter. Warren was a two faced empty suit at his previous job and I’m not impressed with him at all where he is now. 

• Plus1 6
  • Thanks 2
1 minute ago, Omaha fan said:

If Kevin Warren wasn’t responsible for the big10 not having their protocols and processes in place To play this fall should there be a season, whose responsibility was it?

Who is responsible for laying out what spring football will look like and how it will be handled safely ? So the players have something they can legitimately look forward to working towards and playing? Nothing, zilch has been communicated because no work had been put into it. 

This talk about just being a figurehead is baloney, Jim Delaney led from the front. He put forth his opinion and made things happen, he wasn’t just a ballot counter. Warren was a two faced empty suit at his previous job and I’m not impressed with him at all where he is now. 

O.k.