How Will The 85 Scholarship Limit Work Now?

15 hours ago, Mavric said:

On 8/18/2020 at 11:40 PM, Mavric said:

Pretty sure we would be against this year not counting for anyone.

Exactly - ACC, SEC and Big XII players will essentially get a free year/redshirt year of play that won't count against eligibility.

We will see how much pull Warren and the BIG reps now have with the NCAA. If it passes the vote on Friday, things won't look good for future BIG power moves - including upcoming TV negotiations. 

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, bugeater17 said:

Exactly - ACC, SEC and Big XII players will essentially get a free year/redshirt year of play that won't count against eligibility.

We will see how much pull Warren and the BIG reps now have with the NCAA. If it passes the vote on Friday, things won't look good for future BIG power moves - including upcoming TV negotiations. 

I think Warren is on very shaky ground here and operating from position of weakness unless all the conferences have kids that get sick and they choose to cancel. 

He has been far less than impressive. 

• Plus1 2

Playing one but less than 8 games seems to be the formula for getting an extra year IF the recommended rule change is adopted.  I guess with no change in rules, every player who has not redshirted is losing a year, play or not, and effectively burns the redshirt to do that, unless there is some medical hardship case to be applied - roster wide?   And NCAA not likely to grant about 13,000 of those, on a case by case basis!  lol

So the only real effect on 2021 rosters is whether schools will renew the financial packages for sixth-year seniors.  Wisconsin didn't renew their baseball players for another year.

But it will be interesting for 2022.  Schools will have to clear enough space for the recruiting class of 2022 one way or the other - have guys leave or don't renew.  Will be pretty interesting.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

@Mavric, hopefully all those upperclassmen give it a long consideration because some of them will be heavily challenged for their starting spots if the bulk decide to return. I would hate to bring back an average senior for a 5/6th year and stunt the development of younger guys in the program. I can think of several players where it will benefit us to see them graduate and give more time to the younger core.

I could see Jaimes getting drafted in the later rounds.  Everyone else would be a FA.  Domann is the only one I would want to come back.  One more year in the same position and if he has a good year I see him getting drafted as well.  I would like to see the younger talent play behind the Bootle and Williams.  Stoll is pretty solid and wouldn't mind him coming back.  He's not super flashy but he is dependable.  

• Plus1 1