How Will The 85 Scholarship Limit Work Now?

Would love to have Domann back for another year, but if he continues his play for a few more games I bet he could go into the combine and find himself as a mid round pick. Jaimes would honestly be good to have back, but I imagine he heads for the NFL and I don't blame him. I think our younger talent in the backfield and at TE will likely step up to the level of or exceed the existing players there.

@MyBloodIsRed16 Domann coming back would be huge for next years defense. Also, I'd like to see either Williams or Dismuke come back as well, along with Stille on the Dline.

On offense... I agree, Jaimes is gone. While Farniok has struggled some, his presence on the oline would be nice for next year and agree that Farniok and Stoll are really the only players I'd like to see back on the offensive side. 

@Wistrom Disciple Dismuke has been a tackling machine this year. While I think Farmer and Pola-Gates will be studs, it will be interesting to see if both can hold up over a full season. That's why I think having Dismuke or Williams back and have a rotation to include Dismuke/Williams (whichever one decides to come back), Famer, and Pola-Gates would be ideal. 

Stille is still our best D linemen and would be again next year. Robinson may take him over and Rogers is steady force... but it would sure be nice to have Stille around for 1 more year. 

• Plus1 1

Dismuke is currently our #3 tackler with 36, just behind Honas and Domann with 38 each. That's #1 in the secondary, ahead of Williams with 25.

And I gotta give Dismuke some respect for being the only one of the Calabasas guys who stuck with us.

• Plus1 2

@bugeater17, I understand but if you're a younger guy, you're potentially asking them to spend another year on the depth chart behind starters that haven't proven to be substantially better than their replacements. Do we want a marginal player staying for a 5/6th year at the expense of possibly losing a younger talent or limiting development?

I don't think Stille is our best lineman, I've been more impressed with Robinson, Daniels & Rogers so far. Is Stille staying worth possibly seeing a Wildeman, Newsom and/or Graham take off?

Do we run the risk of losing a Pola-Gates, Farmer, Clark and/or Newsome because they lose on seniority to a Bootle, Williams and Dismuke?   I like the rotation idea but they're not doing that very much in the secondary and I don't see that changing. 

Another year of spot duty or mainly special teams roles will be hard to stomach for some of these guys who are already 2 years out from being full-time starters in high school. Yes, the younger players can train hard and become bigger, faster and stronger but it's hard to replicate experience if their duties are in a limited capacity.

@Wistrom Disciple

you're potentially asking them to spend another year on the depth chart behind starters that haven't proven to be substantially better than their replacements.

You're implying that the younger guys are already about as good as good as the seniors, but what evidence are you basing that on, exactly? Star ratings? A hope and a prayer? A general disdain for any player originally recruited by Riley?

@Toe We're 1-4 and have been sub .500 since the Senior class arrived... I'd hate to imagine that a majority of the current Seniors are head and shoulders above the players below them on the depth chart in terms of talent.  

As for evidence? The bulk of these guys haven't gotten on the field in more than special teams roles so far. However, a few have done some solid work in their fill in spots:  

- Farmer (2 picks against Northwestern)

- Rogers had a sack last weekend against Iowa to end the half.

- Robinson with solid contributions during his play

If I were Frost, I would be very honest with the Seniors who intend to return and if there's a tie in talent/practice grades, go with the younger guys heading into next year.

• Haha 2

Frost is a division 1 coach.  He has a full understanding of what he needs to accomplish over the next two years.

He will bring in and retain as much talent as he can and will put the best talent on the field (as he sees it).

If A guy like Stille comes back and a young guy like Robinson is truly better, Stille would be quality depth.

I know it can be hard at the moment, but have a little faith in the coaches.  If that faith turns out to be misplaced, trust the new guys in 2023...

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2