How Will The 85 Scholarship Limit Work Now?

@Wistrom Disciple You remember just a couple weeks ago when like 3/4 of this board thought McCaffrey was gonna be the great savior of this team based on the very limited action he'd seen at that point? And do you remember how things actually went when he got the start at Illinois? Yeah...

Maaaaybe trust the coaches who see these guys day in and day out and be careful what you wish for, kid.

• Plus1 2

@Toe, Yes I was not one of those clamoring for Luke as QB1. In fact I hope Adrian comes back and is a four year starter for us. The seniors have been here 4-5 years already and most have not proven to be more valuable than their replacements.

From my perspective, an argument can be made for the following:

Keeping: Domann, Honas & Jaimes

Borderline (solid players, suitable replacements in '21): Mills, Bootle, Stoll, D. Williams & Stille

Better off graduating: Farniok, Wilson, Gaylord & Dismuke

-- Also better off allowing the following to filter out of the program: Hixson, Schitermann, Bando, Rafdal & Chris Walker at this point

Please understand that my stance comes from a place of program development. I am not in favor of getting one more year of Dismuke at the risk of stunting growth or pushing a transfer from NPG, Newsome, Clark or Lynum. 

• Plus1 2

@Wistrom Disciple

The seniors have been here 4-5 years already and most have not proven to be more valuable than their replacements. The seniors have been here 4-5 years already and most have not proven to be more valuable than their replacements.

Just admit it: you don't actually know the value of those replacements. I've asked you repeatedly, and all you've been able to cite in that area is two freaking plays from one single player. I'm sorry, but that's not enough to judge the value of like eight players who have seen little to no game time to date. Doesn't work that way.

And if you don't actually know the value those players, then any comparison of value is a load of horses#!t.

Your personal biases and speculation about the new guys might sound good in your head, but don't mistake them as being actual factual evidence.

• Plus1 1

@Lightfighter214 Agreed, but those three Seniors are ones who should be absolutely accepted back if they want to return for some reason. Several others could be helpful another season but not necessarily terrible if they move along.

@Toe 

Farmer’s play this year and the several miscues by Dismuke over the past three years indicate, to me, that Farmer is a suitable replacement. 

You asked for evidence and I provided an example of evidence. It’s not feelings, it’s from an actual game. Here are some more reasonings for thinking it wouldn’t be devastating if the Senior class decided to move on as planned pre-pandemic: 

Farniok’s several penalties and blown assignments could be replicated by any number of the younger guys. He hasn’t shown me anything to think he will be all-conference by next year. 

Stille is turning it on lately and it’s been nice to see. Rogers and Robinson are also playing well and Nash is coming up. Would be good if he came back but not a program ender if he leaves.

Three of the four young RBs are playing well in their limited time. Mills is solid but again, wouldn’t be devastating to the team if he moves on. Same goes for Stoll to be replaced by Austin Allen, Vokolek & Fidone next year. 

Again, my stance is that we should only have Seniors come back if they are clearly outstanding and could raise the level of the team. If it’s marginal why bring back a guy who has had 4-5 years already but is still making frustrating plays frequently? 

I worry what you would have thought of the ‘21 team had the NCAA not ruled to allow all seniors another year of eligibility... graduations used to happen all the time, programs have to evolve and younger guys step up. I understand your fear of the unknown but I trust that the staff is developing the young guys and look forward to seeing the developments play out next year and beyond. 

• 1 month later...

FWIW, we are currently at 85 non-seniors for 2021 (92 total scholarship guys).  Probably a couple more will get added in the next couple weeks.  So that would be a full roster for 2022 if we'd have to be at 85.

It seems like the thinking is the limit will be increased for at least 2022 then backed down to 85 over a year or two.  Not sure what the new limit will be.  Might take a bit of maneuvering.  

But we would currently have 19 juniors so that would be a very full senior class in 2022.  So that should help us get back down after that.

• Plus1 1
21 minutes ago, Mavric said:

FWIW, we are currently at 85 non-seniors for 2021 (92 total scholarship guys).  Probably a couple more will get added in the next couple weeks.  So that would be a full roster for 2022 if we'd have to be at 85.

It seems like the thinking is the limit will be increased for at least 2022 then backed down to 85 over a year or two.  Not sure what the new limit will be.  Might take a bit of maneuvering.  

But we would currently have 19 juniors so that would be a very full senior class in 2022.  So that should help us get back down after that.

@Mavric, do you see the transfer portal rules tightening at any point? Makes me wonder if coaches will only sign ~20 kids per class in the future and just bank on filling roster spots with transfers every year if the rules remain as they are right now.

27 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

@Mavric, do you see the transfer portal rules tightening at any point? Makes me wonder if coaches will only sign ~20 kids per class in the future and just bank on filling roster spots with transfers every year if the rules remain as they are right now.

I can't imagine they will tighten.  If anything they're set to get more free if/when kids don't have to sit out a year.

But I do think it might back down a bit after kids see what happens over a few years.  There just aren't that many that get to go to another Power 5 school.  Maybe some will figure out they're probably better where they are rather than take a chance and end up with very limited options.

• Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I can't imagine they will tighten.  If anything they're set to get more free if/when kids don't have to sit out a year.

But I do think it might back down a bit after kids see what happens over a few years.  There just aren't that many that get to go to another Power 5 school.  Maybe some will figure out they're probably better where they are rather than take a chance and end up with very limited options.

Makes sense, hopefully the current transfers end up happy and get their degrees. Unfortunately, I get a feeling most will wash out and end up not graduating if they cannot commit to finishing their academics along with the football aspect.