Kevin Warren shows us why he's being dragged

knapplc

1 minute ago, gossamorharpy said:

lol, u serious man?  He gets paid the big bucks to be the face of this league.  You get the good press when things go great but have to own it when they go south.

If you want specific examples of him dropping the ball, here's a couple that immediately come to mind:

• Schedule release/debacle... Surely the commissioner of the Big10 had a say or input in the league having a way too over hyped schedule release just days before suddenly cancelling the season
  • Leaders lead- What Mr. Warren showcased was a shotgun reaction seemingly to the MAC bowing out.  If the Big10 is stepping out for health/liability reasons he should have had ample scientific and medical resources behind him supporting this decision... instead, rumor mill started THE SECOND the MAC cancelled their season.... 
  • Lack of institutional control and a solidified decision.... Jim Delany would not have had a situation where schools are blindsided to the point where they are openly questioning the decision and petitioning to bring back... As commission YOU HAVE to ensure that all are onboard, and if not, control the message and press accordingly.
  • Questioning the accuracy of data you are leveraging.... University of Michigan, one of the flagship schools of the conference, is calling into question the study/data set used to make this decision? lol, what a look

If the buck doesn't stop with the commission of the league over a questionable and flawed decision process, who should own it?

I wouldn't have minded if you'd have called me Clarke. :D 

I'm not absolving Warren of a LOT of the public debacle here. At all. 

I'm simply saying he didn't make the decision to cancel the season - the college leaders did - and that's the thing people are most upset about.

If we had a season, but we had horrible messaging about it, people would forget about this in 24 hours.  Instead, the message was that we weren't having football, so the mad people want somewhere to focus their anger.  

I'm saying, focus your anger about the cancellation of the season at the appropriate source - the people who actually made the decision.

Because if those same college presidents wanted a season, they'd just overrule him. It's their conference, not his.

3 minutes ago, Omaha fan said:

Who was responsible during the 5 month shut down to prepare all the protocols and detailed processes to play?

That is 100 percent his job and he didn’t do it. 

Where are the hard core details for spring? They don’t exist because warren is in charge of those too. Have those detailed plans and protocols  been shared with players, parents, coaches

no, no and no is the answer. ThAts why guys like Brohm cams out with their own plans. 

When did warren talk with players and parents about playing? He didn’t and he still hasnt. He gets an F so far 

How do you know he didn't do that, yet despite that, he was told by the people who actually run this conference that no, they would not allow a season?

What's he going to do, pull rank on them?

• Plus1 1

Minnesota denies a vote. 

at least if the article is legit. https://saturdaytradition.com/minnesota-football/report-university-of-minnesota-says-deliberate-process-among-b1g-presidents-not-a-vote-determined-football-outcome/

how can all these smart people not understand what happened? Did they get so much backlash that they’re feigning responsibility.  Was it Clinton that said under oath “I do not recall” to every question. 

and our own Chancellor could make a statement... or is he scared we will get the boot? 

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

Minnesota denies a vote. 

at least if the article is legit. https://saturdaytradition.com/minnesota-football/report-university-of-minnesota-says-deliberate-process-among-b1g-presidents-not-a-vote-determined-football-outcome/

how can all these smart people not understand what happened? Did they get so much backlash that they’re feigning responsibility.  Was it Clinton that said under oath “I do not recall” to every question. 

and our own Chancellor could make a statement... or is he scared we will get the boot? 

They can parse those words all they want. They admit to engaging in a deliberation about the season, they just won't admit those deliberations came to a conclusion. It's WAY easier on them if Warren takes all the heat. 

Let's say Warren announced that as Commissioner he's disbanding the league and every team is independent. What are those presidents going to do, just go along with it?

If any commissioner, whether it's Jim Delaney or Kevin Warren, makes a decision they don't like, they change it for him. 

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

Minnesota denies a vote. 

Look at the NCAA President who when this all started basically left it up to the conferences to decide.  He didn't want any part of it.  There is no 'win' in this situation if you're a President who voted or agreed in principal to cancel the season or if you are the actual commissioner of any conference.  Covid 19 has turned the entire world upside down and it's no different when it comes to college athletics.  

There was no book of protocol on exactly 'how' to handle something like Covid 19 in relation to college sports.  That book is literally being written right now and it's changing every single day.  It's not hard to figure out for some but the easy thing to do is to find 'someone' who should be at fault.  That part isn't surprising  to me at all though.  'Merica.

16 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I wouldn't have minded if you'd have called me Clarke. :D 

I'm not absolving Warren of a LOT of the public debacle here. At all. 

I'm simply saying he didn't make the decision to cancel the season - the college leaders did - and that's the thing people are most upset about.

If we had a season, but we had horrible messaging about it, people would forget about this in 24 hours.  Instead, the message was that we weren't having football, so the mad people want somewhere to focus their anger.  

I'm saying, focus your anger about the cancellation of the season at the appropriate source - the people who actually made the decision.

Because if those same college presidents wanted a season, they'd just overrule him. It's their conference, not his.

Fair points.  That being said, I assume the college presidents are the ones who had a final say and voted to have Warren in as commissioner.  While warren is getting the backlash, the schools presidents are also indirectly getting a bad look as well.

Now the whole open petition thing by some schools and coaches, thats a whole nother topic.  While i think warren should get the flack being the face of the league, the school presidents shouldnt get to play both sides and appear to be on the side of these open petitions.

There is totally an element at play here of people are pissed and directing the actuality of the decision at warren instead of the decision itself.  That being said, Warren did himself no favors in this situation.  his only option at this point to maintain credibility is to not play and see if it blows up in the SEC/big12 face.  

Personally, I dont thikn they should be playing but thats because i also dont think they should have students on campus,.  if they're having campus as usual then I dont see why football shouldnt be done as usual (obviously with some changes like fans, testing, safety protocols, etc.)

I guess what im trying to say is we're all f'n hypocrites at the end of the day and i wish we could just have a slice of normalcy and some football 

• Plus1 1

What is interesting is I have not been able to locate any of the by-laws or rules for the Big Ten which govern a decision like this to be made. If a link or document exists to the public I would love to review. 

Also, if there was a meeting and a collective decision was reached to cancel you have to think another meeting could be called and a collective decision to play could be made - but i'm not holding my breath. 

2 minutes ago, bugeater17 said:

What is interesting is I have not been able to locate any of the by-laws or rules for the Big Ten which govern a decision like this to be made. If a link or document exists to the public I would love to review. 

Also, if there was a meeting and a collective decision was reached to cancel you have to think another meeting could be called and a collective decision to play could be made - but i'm not holding my breath. 

I have wondered about this as well if cases and deaths were to dramatically decrease.  Unfortunately this (Covid 19 numbers dramatically decreasing) is definitely is not happening any time soon.

12 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

Look at the NCAA President who when this all started basically left it up to the conferences to decide.  He didn't want any part of it.  There is no 'win' in this situation if you're a President who voted or agreed in principal to cancel the season or if you are the actual commissioner of any conference.  Covid 19 has turned the entire world upside down and it's no different when it comes to college athletics.  

There was no book of protocol on exactly 'how' to handle something like Covid 19 in relation to college sports.  That book is literally being written right now and it's changing every single day.  It's not hard to figure out for some but the easy thing to do is to find 'someone' who should be at fault.  That part isn't surprising  to me at all though.  'Merica.

its not like warren was thrown into this job against his will getting paid peanuts... dude prolly is gonna walk away when this is all said and done to some high profile NFL job and prolly close to 50 mil from the NCAA when its all said and done between salary, bonuses and whatever exit/retirement package he gets.

Lofty position that had a lot on its plate... decisions during global pandemic clearly isnt one of them. 

Really minimal leadership has been displayed and really no one was prepared...'Merica

• Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, bugeater17 said:

Will be hard to find but someone linked them last week. Or at least part of them that discuss decision making by vote. 

27 minutes ago, knapplc said:

How do you know he didn't do that, yet despite that, he was told by the people who actually run this conference that no, they would not allow a season?

What's he going to do, pull rank on them?

He stumbled and bumbled his way through all of this.

he announces on a Wednesday the new revised fall schedule after supposedly consulting with university presidents, but by the weekend he’s leaking that he would prefer spring and the following week fall gets cancelled? What changed his mind?

He changed to a league only schedule on his own with no collaboration with other leagues, same for his cancellation of the fall season. That was a big mistake, read the below article. 

The protocols had lots of holes in them, what Nebraska has in place was much better per moos. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/saturdaytradition.com/big-ten-football/the-b1gs-handling-of-this-situation-has-been-maddening-and-kevin-warren-owes-us-an-explanation/amp/

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 2