The Darkness

On 8/27/2020 at 1:38 PM, Cdog923 said:

The actual best thing from Canada:

Top 5 favorite band.  In 1970's, I initially thought typical rock star band ...... booze, hard drugs, parties, sex orgies, etc.  Actually just the opposite.  Straight as an arrow ..... all three guys.  Still playing until Neil Peart death (Jan. 2020).

Geedy Lee is a lifetime happy marriage. He is an avid watch and wine collector, with a collection of 5,000 bottles.  In 2011, a charitable foundation he supports, Grapes for Humanity, created the Geddy Lee Scholarship for students of winemaking at Niagara College. 

He is also a longtime baseball fan. His favourite team while growing up was the Detroit Tigers, and he later became a fan of the Toronto Blue Jays after they were established. In the 1980s, Lee began reading the works of Bill James, particularly The Bill James Baseball Abstracts, which led to an interest in sabermetrics and participation in a fantasy baseball keeper league. He collects baseball memorabilia, once donating part of his collection to the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum, and threw the ceremonial first pitch to inaugurate the 2013 Toronto Blue Jays season.

• Fire 1

4 hours ago, Hooked on Huskers said:

Top 5 favorite band.  In 1970's, I initially thought typical rock star band ...... booze, hard drugs, parties, sex orgies, etc.  Actually just the opposite.  Straight as an arrow ..... all three guys.  Still playing until Neil Peart death (Jan. 2020).

Yep. Gene Simmons was floored at how squeaky clean they were when Kiss toured with them back in the day. 

9 hours ago, Hooked on Huskers said:

I didn't know that !!

KISS concert, Pershing Center, late 70's. I didn't really like KISS songs but specticular show in KISS concert.

Would that have been the concert where a young John Cougar opened for KISS?

I was at that show, which was a little different from most Pershing rock concerts. KISS had a huge following with young boys, who treated them like comic book characters. So there were tons of Moms at the show chaperoning their 12 year olds. John Cougar starts this chant that echoes throughout Pershing:  "What do you say to your teachers? F*CK YOU!  What do you say to your parents? F*UCK YOU! " And you could almost hear all the middle aged moms' sphincters clench. 

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Getting back on topic: do you know how they overcame The Darkness at Pershing auditorium? They shot the spotlight on a mirrorball hanging from the ceiling. It was pretty awesome. 

images.jpg.5e30716dea0703c0f5079df0117e285b.jpg

I remember that (KISS concert).  Now days, much more speculator show than '70s era.

Ukrainian singer concert.  She's appeared about 5:00 mark ...... after intro show.  I glued the entire Youtube video (2 hours +).  Lots of themes.  Every songs better than before.  Las Vegas MGM show type.  I loved it.

Anyway, need to hire next Superbowl halftime show.  Hundred of LED floodlights, halogram projectors,  large movable video screens, transparent curtain screen surrounded by stage, rotate carnival ride stage, acrobats & huge bird hanging from the ceiling,  etc etc etc

5 minutes ago, knapplc said:

For now. They're talking about tearing it down & putting up housing, offices, parking & retail in its place.

That's sad. Inside it's kind of a dump, but that mural alone on the outside should be a historic monument.

Lotta memories there... First concert, going to indoor football games as a kid, high school graduation and the blowup doll we tossed around, watching my college buddy get punched by a chick in the moshpit.

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Would that have been the concert where a young John Cougar opened for KISS?

I was at that show, which was a little different from most Pershing rock concerts. KISS had a huge following with young boys, who treated them like comic book characters. So there were tons of Moms at the show chaperoning their 12 year olds. John Cougar starts this chant that echoes throughout Pershing:  "What do you say to your teachers? F*CK YOU!  What do you say to your parents? F*UCK YOU! " And you could almost hear all the middle aged moms' sphincters clench. 

Sounds like a proper prelude for The Authority Song.

BTW, I saw KISS on their Destroyer tour in 76, I believe at Omaha Civic. First legit rock concert I ever attended. And yes, one of my buddies mom's drove us to it but she did not go in.

5 minutes ago, ZRod said:

That's sad. Inside it's kind of a dump, but that mural alone on the outside should be a historic monument.

Lotta memories there... First concert, going to indoor football games as a kid, high school graduation and the blowup doll we tossed around, watching my college buddy get punched by a chick in the moshpit.

I have never liked that mural. It's not my kind of art, and the weird lines running through it are jarring.

YIOzwhQ.jpg

36 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I have never liked that mural. It's not my kind of art, and the weird lines running through it are jarring.

YIOzwhQ.jpg

I mean it's not mind blowing, but it's almost 100 years old and I'm sure you can appreciate how intricate all the tiles make it. You'll never see anything like that or the capitals interior again in our lifetime.