Censorship

9 minutes ago, nic said:

I figured this thread is mostly about Twitter anyway. Looks like Musk might be right about the bots, and now a national security threat.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/23/tech/twitter-whistleblower-peiter-zatko-security/index.html

Throw it all in the freakin' trash heap.

There is a direct correlation between the downfall of American democracy and social media.   I hope they all lose their asses!

6 hours ago, funhusker said:

Throw it all in the freakin' trash heap.

There is a direct correlation between the downfall of American democracy and social media.   I hope they all lose their asses!

I am only on LinkedIn. My wife does Facebook and is on Instagram for monitoring purposes.

Our experience is that we lost more friends on social media.... or strained more friendships... than we made. And my wife doesn't post political stuff at all. One time as a joke and the backlash was real.

I know you are speaking to a bigger picture, but I think I agree that it has been a net negative for people socially and the country. I should probably dwell on the positives before saying this, but that is my gut reaction.

31 minutes ago, nic said:

I am only on LinkedIn. My wife does Facebook and is on Instagram for monitoring purposes.

Our experience is that we lost more friends on social media.... or strained more friendships... than we made. And my wife doesn't post political stuff at all. One time as a joke and the backlash was real.

I know you are speaking to a bigger picture, but I think I agree that it has been a net negative for people socially and the country. I should probably dwell on the positives before saying this, but that is my gut reaction.

I feel like LinkedIn is just about as bad as Facebook anymore. Even with their "political content" filter, I still see tons of stupid MAGAt bulls#!t 

4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I didn’t think anyone actually went to LinkedIn and read stuff. 

I don’t remember the last time I was on that site. 

I used it when I was looking for a job. I try to avoid using it (like Facebook) but my job now involves interacting with a lot of people across the country, so I get a lot of new connections. It never fails though, when I open the site there's some BS post up there first. Had one last week that was re-shared by a former coworker about some lady that has "over 500 guns in their house" and "NO one has ever been hurt!" :facepalm:

3 hours ago, GSG said:

I feel like LinkedIn is just about as bad as Facebook anymore. Even with their "political content" filter, I still see tons of stupid MAGAt bulls#!t 

So far I have only seen business related posts. But I rarely read peoples posts. 

5 hours ago, nic said:

Yeah, that was my general point.  Social media has not been good for the USA.  Like you mentioned, it strains (not strengthens) most relationships.  It allows for the spread of complete bulls#!t.  It has helped create a generation of people looking to make a buck doing stupid stuff online. It's just trash, and I need to quit being part of the problem.

I signed up for facebook about 20 years ago (edit: must be about 15 years since it started in 2004) because thats how we started communicating for a class reunion.  My current list of friends is "120" people.  That includes family and many coworkers, although I have a lot of family and coworkers I'm not friends with because of how they use the website.  And even then, I think it's about 120 too many.  

Not on any other platforms except for here, but I'm not sure I'd call HB "social media".

2 hours ago, funhusker said:

Yeah, that was my general point.  Social media has not been good for the USA.  Like you mentioned, it strains (not strengthens) most relationships.  It allows for the spread of complete bulls#!t.  It has helped create a generation of people looking to make a buck doing stupid stuff online. It's just trash, and I need to quit being part of the problem.

I signed up for facebook about 20 years ago (edit: must be about 15 years since it started in 2004) because thats how we started communicating for a class reunion.  My current list of friends is "120" people.  That includes family and many coworkers, although I have a lot of family and coworkers I'm not friends with because of how they use the website.  And even then, I think it's about 120 too many.  

Not on any other platforms except for here, but I'm not sure I'd call HB "social media".

Not to mention what it’s done to the teenagers.

• Plus1 1

The "is social media bad for us?" conversation is a great and important one to have.

I posted this thread months ago and nobody responded to it. Not claiming to know why, or really care, but at the very least I think the article is well worth a read if you have the time.

Grand Island high school journalism program eliminated after LGBTQ topics published

Grand Island Northwest Public Schools administrators eliminated its journalism program in June in what some former students and press freedom advocates call an act of censorship.

While working on the school year-ending issue of the Saga newspaper, staffers had little idea its student-written content would mark the 54-year-old publication’s abrupt end. The edition included student editorials on LGBTQ topics, along with a news article titled, “Pride and prejudice: LGBTQIA+” on the origins of Pride Month (June) and the history of homophobia. Other articles explained registering for classes, highlighted achievements by the Future Business Leaders of America chapter and told the story of a group of siblings’ adoption.

Northwest Public Schools board Vice President Zach Mader said that in the past, “I do think there have been talks of doing away with our newspaper if we were not going to be able to control content that we saw (as) inappropriate.”

He cautiously explained the apparent reason for the Saga’s demise.

“The very last issue that came out this year, there was … a little bit of hostility amongst some,” the school board member said. “There were editorials that were essentially, I guess what I would say, LGBTQ.”

“It sounds like a ham-fisted attempt to censor students and discriminate based on disagreement with perspectives and articles that were featured in the student newspaper,” surmised Sara Rips, legal counsel for ACLU of Nebraska.

Mader said of the student newspaper’s final issue: “There (were) some things that were…”

The school board member paused, thinking.

He continued: “If (taxpayers) read that (issue), they would have been like, ‘Holy cow. What is going on at our school?’”

Dan Leiser, president of the Northwest Public Schools Board of Education, said of the stories in question, “most people were upset they were written,” though he didn’t specify who “most people” consisted of.

Leiser questioned whether eliminating the paper based on editorial content — in this case, the June 2022 issue — mattered.

“If 90% of people say the (stories) shouldn’t have been written in the first place, they weren't happy with reading it in the newspaper — I’m not talking me, I'm talking high school students — why do you think this is newsworthy?”

Edited by knapplc
Edited the obnoxiously large headline. I hate how this site embeds headlines like that.
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Grand Island high school journalism program eliminated after LGBTQ topics published

Grand Island Northwest Public Schools administrators eliminated its journalism program in June in what some former students and press freedom advocates call an act of censorship.

While working on the school year-ending issue of the Saga newspaper, staffers had little idea its student-written content would mark the 54-year-old publication’s abrupt end. The edition included student editorials on LGBTQ topics, along with a news article titled, “Pride and prejudice: LGBTQIA+” on the origins of Pride Month (June) and the history of homophobia. Other articles explained registering for classes, highlighted achievements by the Future Business Leaders of America chapter and told the story of a group of siblings’ adoption.

Northwest Public Schools board Vice President Zach Mader said that in the past, “I do think there have been talks of doing away with our newspaper if we were not going to be able to control content that we saw (as) inappropriate.”

He cautiously explained the apparent reason for the Saga’s demise.

“The very last issue that came out this year, there was … a little bit of hostility amongst some,” the school board member said. “There were editorials that were essentially, I guess what I would say, LGBTQ.”

“It sounds like a ham-fisted attempt to censor students and discriminate based on disagreement with perspectives and articles that were featured in the student newspaper,” surmised Sara Rips, legal counsel for ACLU of Nebraska.

Mader said of the student newspaper’s final issue: “There (were) some things that were…”

The school board member paused, thinking.

He continued: “If (taxpayers) read that (issue), they would have been like, ‘Holy cow. What is going on at our school?’”

Dan Leiser, president of the Northwest Public Schools Board of Education, said of the stories in question, “most people were upset they were written,” though he didn’t specify who “most people” consisted of.

Leiser questioned whether eliminating the paper based on editorial content — in this case, the June 2022 issue — mattered.

“If 90% of people say the (stories) shouldn’t have been written in the first place, they weren't happy with reading it in the newspaper — I’m not talking me, I'm talking high school students — why do you think this is newsworthy?”

So stupid.

• Plus1 1