Young players/Backups

Aliens05

16 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Exactly. Ohio State's first rule for receivers is they won't play if they don't block. They also have the benefit replacing incredibly talented kids who don't want to block with more incredibly talented kids who will.

Once you have a certain level of talent (which I think we have improved on) it's totally a culture thing in the position group.

• Plus1 1

My biggest concern is inside linebacker and WR. At ILB Miller has been below average for two seasons and we haven’t been great as a whole why are we married to this guy. WR is even more confusing considering we have an offensive minded coach maybe their route running is polished but shouldn’t we be able to get them on the field and find a way to use their athleticism without over complicating the game. We want to develop players for the scheme and the most resilient coaches these days adjust to their talent 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, huskerfan702 said:

My biggest concern is inside linebacker and WR. At ILB Miller has been below average for two seasons and we haven’t been great as a whole why are we married to this guy. WR is even more confusing considering we have an offensive minded coach maybe their route running is polished but shouldn’t we be able to get them on the field and find a way to use their athleticism without over complicating the game. We want to develop players for the scheme and the most resilient coaches these days adjust to their talent 

Sticking with Miller will be as painful as sticking with Mo Barry.

• Plus1 2

Miller is better than Barry.  Barry is one of the worst starters NU has had.

On the "Play they guys with talent even if they are not doing things that are expected of them"

I agree...play them.  I will say this though, I had one team with two really good players and I gave them a ton of room to d!(k around, to skip practice because they were "hurt" and s#!t like that...I still played them because they were my two best players...

And you know what, we sucked a$$ that year.  So while I wanted them to play because they were me best players...I probably made a big mistake.

Also, one was an a$$h@!e and the other I actually liked.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Miller is better than Barry.  Barry is one of the worst starters NU has had.

On the "Play they guys with talent even if they are not doing things that are expected of them"

I agree...play them.  I will say this though, I had one team with two really good players and I gave them a ton of room to d!(k around, to skip practice because they were "hurt" and s#!t like that...I still played them because they were my two best players...

And you know what, we sucked a$$ that year.  So while I wanted them to play because they were me best players...I probably made a big mistake.

Also, one was an a$$h@!e and the other I actually liked.

Miller did have a few good plays, but yes he is not very fast.  If healthy, would Reimer be his backup?  

13 minutes ago, CAHusker said:

Who is his backup?  

Who cares?

i.e. I don't know. Probably evidence they aren't as good. I trust the coaches to know more. They aren't infallible but this question gets asked about everyone. It might be some of our starters just aren't that good, but still better than the backups. FWIW I stated Collin Miller takes terrible angles. It's like he thinks the player he is going to tackle will just stay where he is the moment he sees him.

1 minute ago, Moiraine said:

Who cares?

i.e. I don't know. Probably evidence they aren't as good. I trust the coaches to know more. They aren't infallible but this question gets asked about everyone. It might be some of our starters just aren't that good, but still better than the backups.

It was great chatting with you.  #nos#!tcoachesknowmorethanwedo

• Plus1 1

7 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Who cares?

i.e. I don't know. Probably evidence they aren't as good. I trust the coaches to know more. They aren't infallible but this question gets asked about everyone. It might be some of our starters just aren't that good, but still better than the backups. FWIW I stated Collin Miller takes terrible angles. It's like he thinks the player he is going to tackle will just stay where he is the moment he sees him.

Angles are the hardest thing to coach/teach on defense, period.  There are some drills that we use but none of it really helps.  I always tell my guys on defense...aim for the outside shoulder and always assume you are slower than them.

Problem is, everyone thinks they are fast and everyone thinks there is less room on the field than there really is.

4 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Angles are the hardest thing to coach/teach on defense, period.  There are some drills that we use but none of it really helps.  I always tell my guys on defense...aim for the outside shoulder and always assume you are slower than them.

Problem is, everyone thinks they are fast and everyone thinks there is less room on the field than there really is.

That makes sense. But with Miller yesterday the Heisman candidate QB was like 10 yards from him when he started running and ran right toward the spot the QB was at the beginning. He should have run directly toward the sideline. He took what I believe to be the worst 2 angles I've ever seen a defender take.

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

That makes sense. But with Miller yesterday the Heisman candidate QB was like 10 yards from him when he started running and ran right toward the spot the QB was at the beginning. He should have run directly toward the sideline. He took what I believe to be the worst 2 angles I've ever seen a defender take.

Yep!  Running right to the sidelines is one of the things we coach but once the game starts...players always think they are super fast again!  Super annoying!

It is probably how basketball coaches feel when they coach their guys to never give up the baseline...

18 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Yep!  Running right to the sidelines is one of the things we coach but once the game starts...players always think they are super fast again!  Super annoying!

It is probably how basketball coaches feel when they coach their guys to never give up the baseline...

I took really good angles. However I was slow and I knew I was slow. So, I knew if I took the most ridiculous angle ever I could get there haha 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1