Defensive Play Discussion

Mavric

@BigRedBuster NU has used the 4-man front quite often during nickel situations this year.  It's really a 2-5 formation with 5 LB's, if you still want to count Tannor and Nelson as LB's, even though they have their hand in the ground.  NU also went with this lineup and would stand up Tannor in different spots along the line, and would rush him, or drop him into coverage.  NU still did a good job of getting pass rush with 3 pass rushers against Purdue.  Another aspect of this formation is NU usually removing the nose tackle, and using 2 DE's as the inside down-linemen.

• Plus1 2

@Mavric - On that early 1st quarter play where Domann hits Moore pretty hard, I think Moore had to go out for at least one full series to shake it off. We definitely play way more physically on defense this season than last, and last year was more physical than 2018. Good improvement there.

@BigRedBuster - Are you posting that clip because you got sack time with Nelson's mom???? (couldn't resist a "sack" pun after you posted that clip...)

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

What was Tannor's penalty anyway? I know Williams pushed Moore into the bench, although I think he was going to hit the bench anyway. Either way, stupid play. But I never saw what happened with Tannor on the same play.

He said something to the Purdue bench the ref didn’t like. 

also one thing I noticed on a rewatch, none of our big dumb mistakes (pf penalties and such) resulted in points (or maybe it was no touchdowns) from Purdue. 

• Plus1 2
8 hours ago, whateveritis1224 said:

He said something to the Purdue bench the ref didn’t like. 

also one thing I noticed on a rewatch, none of our big dumb mistakes (pf penalties and such) resulted in points (or maybe it was no touchdowns) from Purdue. 

Yeah, there were a lot of complaints about our "undisciplined" play in this game.  And I'm not excusing the unsportsmanlike penalties.  But I think most people were looking at the yardage and thinking that we were constantly screwing up.  But 30 yards - nearly 1/3 of the yards - were on one play that was just a little bit late plus a quick trigger by the ref on whatever was said.  Plus one other penalty for saying something.  So that's nearly half the yardage right there.  As far as making mistakes in the course of regular play (holding, false starts, pass interference, etc.), we weren't all that bad.

• Plus1 2