Biden's America

2 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

Realistic views are not doom/gloom views imo.

Just tiring having sunshine pumping posts when, in reality, average folks are struggling, more than not.

This is never not the case. Americans are almost never happy with the economy.

In polls dating back as far as you want, the number of Americans who say the Economy is getting worse vs getting better almost always leans getting worse, no matter what. 

In 1996 for example, during the post Cold War boom in America, surging stock markets and a large expansion of wealth in the Middle class, 39% of Americans said the Economy was bad. It was not. 

You know what is amazing, that 15 countries are listed above the US on that link and yet no one wants to move to those countries OR they can't because those countries won't let anyone in.

We live in the greatest country in the world, where more people with nothing have become rich, where more people that could never own land, own land, where more people that could never get an education, get an education, where even non-irish people can become fireman.  

No one is trying to get to Norway.  

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

In polls dating back as far as you want, the number of Americans who say the Economy is getting worse vs getting better almost always leans getting worse, no matter what

did you skip the 2018/2019 years?

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/08/21/politics/cnn-poll-trump-economy-guns/index.html

As some economic indicators are beginning to show warning signs of a looming recession, the public's impressions of -- and outlook for -- the country's economic conditions are starting to waver, but they remain mostly positive. The 65% of Americans who now say economic conditions are good represent a 5-point drop from the May CNN/SSRS poll.

A majority (56%) say they expect economic conditions to be good a year from now, 40% say they will be poor. That's a less-rosy outlook than in December, when 66% said they expected a good economy in a year.

1 hour ago, teachercd said:

You know what is amazing, that 15 countries are listed above the US on that link and yet no one wants to move to those countries OR they can't because those countries won't let anyone in.

We live in the greatest country in the world, where more people with nothing have become rich, where more people that could never own land, own land, where more people that could never get an education, get an education, where even non-irish people can become fireman.  

All good points.   

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

But not understanding the difference between a really big country and a really small country is the kind of nuance I expect to be lost on a certain segment of Trump voters.

Kinda like not understanding why GDP rises some quarters and not so much other quarters in the same year.  Or not understanding consumption increase vs increase in price, etc.  or not understanding inventory load quarters.  Or……well you get the picture.   #nuance maybe 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, teachercd said:

It had definitely crossed our minds about moving abroad.  My 8th grade daughter is already looking into college programs in Germany.

We’re comfortable here; but once our parents are gone, we aren’t tied to the place.

31 minutes ago, funhusker said:

It had definitely crossed our minds about moving abroad.  My 8th grade daughter is already looking into college programs in Germany.

We’re comfortable here; but once our parents are gone, we aren’t tied to the place.

Oh man, the old "when the parents are gone"

I do that too.  I feel like that is one of the biggest factors when it comes to moving, the parents.

I have relatives in Germany, they love it.  Tons of vacation time from work (because unlike here they actually value time off and don't shame you for using it).  

14 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Kinda like not understanding why GDP rises some quarters and not so much other quarters in the same year.  Or not understanding consumption increase vs increase in price, etc.  or not understanding inventory load quarters.  Or……well you get the picture.   #nuance maybe 

I am sorry that your world is shattered by Biden overseeing the best economy in the developed world. Since wages are out pacing infltion, you can take comfort in the fact that in time, the prices increases will be more manageable. You can also be comforted that it's better here than anywhere. 

Look, I know that voting for Trump twice is a bit of a stain on your psyche, but I have confidence that a new Republican grifter will swoop in and take his place in your heart. In the meantime, please refrain from voting for ANOTHER election-denying insurrectionist, 90+ time indicted soon-to-be felon, okay?

• Thanks 2
1 hour ago, teachercd said:

Oh man, the old "when the parents are gone"

I do that too.  I feel like that is one of the biggest factors when it comes to moving, the parents.

I have relatives in Germany, they love it.  Tons of vacation time from work (because unlike here they actually value time off and don't shame you for using it).  

I’m sure we’ll stick around though.  But I don’t think in our case moving to a place like Germany would be any more “stressful” than moving to New Mexico (or some other random place).

Im aware language would be more difficult.

5 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

I am sorry that your world is shattered by Biden overseeing the best economy in the developed world. Since wages are out pacing infltion, you can take comfort in the fact that in time, the prices increases will be more manageable. You can also be comforted that it's better here than anywhere. 

Look, I know that voting for Trump twice is a bit of a stain on your psyche, but I have confidence that a new Republican grifter will swoop in and take his place in your heart. In the meantime, please refrain from voting for ANOTHER election-denying insurrectionist, 90+ time indicted soon-to-be felon, okay?

Fortunately for me, my world is doing ok:thumbs  decent strawman though!  

https://www.bankrate.com/banking/federal-reserve/wage-to-inflation-index/#:~:text=Nonetheless%2C a gap between household,new Inflation To Wage Index.

But it failed to be fully felt. Parallel with supply shocks and pandemic-related disruptions, inflation also burst as the economy fired off on all cylinders, eating away at many workers’ gains. When the gap between wage growth and inflation was at its widest in the third quarter of 2022, prices had jumped 12.8 percent since the start of 2021, while wages had climbed a smaller 9.1 percent, a 3.7-point gap, a Bankrate analysis of inflation and wage growth data shows.

Pay is beginning to catch up in the race, and since May, has been rising faster than inflation after losing ground for more than two years. As of the second quarter of 2023, prices are up 15.8 percent since the beginning of 2021, while wages have climbed 12.8 percent, based on the latest Bureau of Labor Statistics data. The trend is a win for workers — a feature of a job market that’s been surprisingly resilient as inflation slows and interest rates rise.

Nonetheless, a gap between household buying power and inflation remains.

Pay is beginning to catch up in the race, and since May, has been rising faster than inflation after losing ground for more than two years. As of the second quarter of 2023, prices are up 15.8 percent since the beginning of 2021, while wages have climbed 12.8 percent, based on the latest Bureau of Labor Statistics data. The trend is a win for workers — a feature of a job market that’s been surprisingly resilient as inflation slows and interest rates rise.

Nonetheless, a gap between household buying power and inflation remains. At its current pace, workers’ wages aren’t set to recover their loss of total purchasing power until at some point in the fourth quarter of 2024, according to Bankrate’s new Inflation To Wage Index.

Nonetheless, a gap between household buying power and inflation remains. At its current pace, workers’ wages aren’t set to recover their loss of total purchasing power until at some point in the fourth quarter of 2024, according to Bankrate’s new Inflation To Wage Index.

Ya us!  I guess. 

So look, I get that you are probably embarrassed your candidate is doing such an awful job he is currently on ice to get primaried cause people no longer want him and is losing in polls to a person under 4 criminal trials.  I hope you keep voting, but let’s hope for everyone’s pocket book you pick a candidate that helps create more purchasing power and retirement wealth for the folks!   DM me if you want help choosing. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2