Biden's America

8 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

So….no I don’t have a problem at all.   I’m simply pointing out that we had a balanced budget when “their fare share” was a much lower percentage of the tax base.  Now  their percentage of the tax base is much higher, people say they are no longer” paying their fair share” and we are trillions more in debt each year.   Their is a greater underlying problem than “the rich aren’t paying their fare share” 

That really is a ridiculous argument. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

That really is a ridiculous argument. 

Please explain.  

You might also explain how we could take the entire net worth of the billionaire class and still be underwater in a single budget year now a days 

• Plus1 2
6 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Please explain.  

You might also explain how we could take the entire net worth of the billionaire class and still be underwater in a single budget year now a days 

Because the statistic should mean absolutely nothing when making tax law decisions. 

• Haha 3

If the Top 1% was paying 70% of taxes and now they’re paying 80% of taxes, with a lower tax rate now than before, that means their piece of the pie increased by a lot. That isn’t a reason to lower their rate further. They are making more money than before. 

And I don’t think BRB is suggesting we increase minimum wage further to address the wealth gap. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

If the Top 1% was paying 70% of taxes and now they’re paying 80% of taxes, with a lower tax rate now than before, that means their piece of the pie increased by a lot. That isn’t a reason to lower their rate further. They are making more money than before. 

And I don’t think BRB is suggesting we increase minimum wage further to address the wealth gap. 

I don’t think anyone was advocating for lowering their rates further.  

People keep forgetting what prompted my entire reason for taking about any of this.  One poster said the entire spending/revenue gap was because we weren’t collecting enough in taxes and the rich needed to pay more, not the US spend less.  

On you last paragraph, I’ve asked this to someone else before and really got no answer.  Considering the wealth gap increase has been a function of stock market equity increase, how would you propose closing the wealth gap?  You could certainly tax 100% of income after a certain point ($100 million for example) and all you would do to close that gap is being one side down, not the other side up.   I wouldn’t think that is what people are looking for when talking about closing the wealth gap.   

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

I don’t think anyone was advocating for lowering their rates further.  

People keep forgetting what prompted my entire reason for taking about any of this.  One poster said the entire spending/revenue gap was because we weren’t collecting enough in taxes and the rich needed to pay more, not the US spend less.  

On you last paragraph, I’ve asked this to someone else before and really got no answer.  Considering the wealth gap increase has been a function of stock market equity increase, how would you propose closing the wealth gap?  You could certainly tax 100% of income after a certain point ($100 million for example) and all you would do to close that gap is being one side down, not the other side up.   I wouldn’t think that is what people are looking for when talking about closing the wealth gap.   

I should have said income gap. Both are bigger. I haven't thought a whole lot about it. A wealth gap is okay if there are good regulations and safety nets in place to help people, but that's a big part of the spending.

1 hour ago, DevoHusker said:

Who tips at 5 Guys??? It's always been expensive, but it's also better food than McDonald's. We've got one right next to our place, but we only eat there every 2 years :lol:

Last time it was over $30 for 2 burgers and a fry. You bet your sweet a$$ we took peanuts home with us!

• Oh Yeah! 1
  • TBH 1
22 hours ago, teachercd said:

Large fry and cheeseburger t McD’s

7.54!!!!

Good lord

We went to Subway a couple days ago because we had a gift card. $39 for a foot long and 2 6".

24 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Who tips at 5 Guys??? It's always been expensive, but it's also better food than McDonald's. We've got one right next to our place, but we only eat there every 2 years :lol:

Last time it was over $30 for 2 burgers and a fry. You bet your sweet a$$ we took peanuts home with us!

Ya that's weird. Tipping is for waiters who make less than minimum wage. And sushi chefs.

• Fire 1
  • Worth a Look 2
2 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Dang, 10.5% sales tax too!    Although in 5 Guys defense, the fries are shareable for two people at least if not three small appetite people. 

Back when I was in college in Omaha I'm pretty sure at the Dodge street location they just took the shovel-sized scoop they used for fries and dumped em directly into your bag. It was by far the most fries I've gotten at any burger place ever. Didn't even come close to finishing em.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1