Biden's America

On 3/23/2024 at 12:49 PM, BigRedBuster said:

My daughter and her husband own a Tesla and live in Atlanta it’s strictly a commenting car for them and saves them a ton of money. But, I don’t think they will buy another one. They definitely won’t only own teslas. There is certain situations where the ICE vehicle is needed. 

When we bought our new car left year, we thought about the PHEV. But, went with the non plug in version and are very happy. 

EV manufacturers have to advance the battery tech for longer distance in a charge  and faster charges. 

My son in law commutes about an hour each way in heavy traffic. They are great for that. 

My friends can't wait to sell their Tesla. Has nothing to do with either range or politics. They said it just turned out to be a s#!tty car, with stuff going wrong constantly. 

15 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

My friends can't wait to sell their Tesla. Has nothing to do with either range or politics. They said it just turned out to be a s#!tty car, with stuff going wrong constantly. 

I have never really heard bad things about them before, did they just get a lemon?

Do you take a tesla to a regular mechanic to get worked on?

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
21 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Interesting. I've had the opposite experience as have the friends I know with Teslas. Stuff going wrong will always sour people on any brand. And I've heard Tesla service is a nightmare if you do have something major wrong.

6 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Do you take a tesla to a regular mechanic to get worked on?

No. I've had mine almost 3 years and only things I've done are replace the tires and refill the washer fluid.

• Thanks 1
  • TBH 1
19 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I have never really heard bad things about them before, did they just get a lemon?

Maybe. I know plenty of folks who like their Teslas, including neighbors on both sides of me. It could one of those year and make issues -- some later Model S's proved glitchy. I don't know what model my unhappy friends bought, but pretty sure it was the most affordable version. I know one of their issues was a constant rattle, which this article mentions.

https://www.copilotsearch.com/posts/are-teslas-reliable/

Thomas Edison may have beaten the engineer Nikolas Tesla in the battle of electrical engineering in the nineteenth century. Still, in the twenty-first century, no name can come close to Tesla in the battle of electric cars.

But is Tesla just coasting by on name power alone? Sure, the number of likes on any of Elon Musk’s tweets is reliable, and the sales figures are pretty reliable, but are Teslas reliable? Well, not really. At a time, Tesla cars, mainly the Model S, were considered the pinnacle of reliability. However, with a few more years of wear and tear on them and with production stepping up big time, the flaws in the armor are starting to show, and Teslas are proving to be less reliable than initially thought.

How Reliable is the Tesla Brand?

You would think that the company that holds almost a quarter of the market share for electric vehicles would have to make consistent, quality cars, but this is not the case. According to Consumer Reports, Tesla is one of the most unreliable car manufacturers. Only Lincoln fared worse out of twenty-six brands tracked in their surveys since the turn of the century.

Hopefully, the increased competition will improve future Teslas or provide electric car buyers with more reliable options. Still, for now, you should be careful if you own or plan to buy one. Data from Consumer Reports’ survey indicated that Teslas are typically less reliable than other electric cars, such as the Hyundai Kona or Nissan Leaf, that cost significantly less. Fortunately, Tesla has made some notable exceptions to their warranty programs to address prominent issues with the Model S and Model Y, allowing owners to receive free repairs and refunding to owners who have already paid to fix the problems.

What Are Common Tesla Problems?

Some of these issues were so bad that the National Highway Traffic Safety Association (NHTSA) is investigating the need for significant recalls, and Tesla has expanded warranty coverage for them.

Main Computer

If you’ve ever seen the interior of a Tesla, one of the biggest things that probably stood out to you was the massive infotainment center in the middle of the dashboard. In addition to the rearview camera, navigation, and media controls, this touchscreen also houses the climate controls in Teslas. While many other manufacturers follow in Tesla’s footsteps with large touch screens in their cabins, few have committed so much importance to this screen.

And in their top-notch Plaid performance version of the Model S, even the gear shifter is controlled by the touchscreen rather than a physical shifter, dial, or buttons. So when several owners reported this screen dying due to an issue with the onboard computer’s memory, it was a big deal. Tesla chose to issue their recall for this problem on the Model S and Model X before the NHTSA could force them to, so hopefully, the issue has been fixed for newly produced models.

Air Suspension

An air suspension can take an already luxurious ride and elevate it into a ride on four clouds, even on the roughest roads. And while it does an excellent job of keeping the Tesla insulated from the asphalt below, it is more prone to failure than a classic spring suspension. This issue can cause the wheels to scrape against the wheel well, possibly damaging the tires and making the car less safe to drive.

Transmission System Issues

The Tesla Model S is among the most popular Tesla models out there, thanks to its sleek design and high-tech features. However, Tesla’s luxury model has its fair share of reliability woes, including the dreaded transmission system problems. Several owners have reported that their Teslas are grinding, slipping, and hesitating while shifting gears. In some cases, the owners had to replace the transmission entirely, which can’t be cheap – especially when transmission issues are generally costly.

Poor Build Quality

Although Tesla’s popularity has skyrocketed over the years, people forget that it’s a tech company first and a car manufacturer second. Therefore, build quality issues are bound to rear their ugly heads for these all-electric vehicles. One disgruntled owner claimed that the Tesla Model Y had several build quality issues, including poor panel and bumper alignments and a shoddy paint job.

Body Integrity Problems

Not many people can stand it if their vehicles keep producing rattling noises. Apparently, many Tesla owners had to deal with rattling noises coming from their Tesla. Owners claimed they took their Teslas to the service center, but only a handful managed to fix the issue. The rattling was so bad that some people had to resort to DIY solutions.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, knapplc said:

Was the ship too tall or did it hit a pylon?

Edit: just watched the video. Edit2: Ok I decided to Google instead of ask Huskerboard.

Officials have confirmed that the ship lost power right before the collision. Moore said that the crew notified authorities of a "power issue." Two U.S. officials told CBS News that multiple alarms rang out on the ship, alerting pilots and crew to an issue on board.

8 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Was the ship too tall or did it hit a pylon?

Edit: just watched the video. Edit2: Ok I decided to Google instead of ask Huskerboard.

Yeah, you can see in the video it loses power, regains it, loses it again, regains it again, but by that time it had drifted over 500 feet off course. 

25 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

I assume he means until the ship's owner, or Maersk Lines, repay the US Government, right?

Mexico is going to pay for it. ;)

Jokes aside, he was asked about that, and he said that will come later. Finding out who's responsible could take years in maritime law, but that bridge needs to be rebuilt now.

• Plus1 2
19 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Mexico is going to pay for it. ;)

Jokes aside, he was asked about that, and he said that will come later. Finding out who's responsible could take years in maritime law, but that bridge needs to be rebuilt now.

Good, that's the correct response all around. Thanks.

3 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

Good, that's the correct response all around. Thanks.

I'm pretty sure the government is going to eat most of the bill (which is kind of why we pay taxes, to help with catastrophic events). The companies involved are going to shelter their cash immediately because the cost of building the bridge, laws suites for deaths and for the port closing are probably going to bankrupt them.