Sideline-gate

Mavric

I’ve always thought it would be better for NU to be on the west sidelines.

1) In hot weather, NU would be getting the shade sooner.

2) In late season games, the sun is so low that the coaches and players are forced to look right into the sun for most of the game.

3) When there are fans, the East side of the stadium is louder, and would make it more challenging for the sideline to communicate on that side. 

• Plus1 5
  • Fire 1

On 11/14/2020 at 7:26 PM, ColoradoHusk said:

I’ve always thought it would be better for NU to be on the west sidelines.

1) In hot weather, NU would be getting the shade sooner.

2) In late season games, the sun is so low that the coaches and players are forced to look right into the sun for most of the game.

3) When there are fans, the East side of the stadium is louder, and would make it more challenging for the sideline to communicate on that side. 

Couldn't have said it any better.  Needs to be a perm change, or a serious consideration to change it for these reasons alone.

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I would like to hear or read the exact quote.  

I think he’s saying it’s easier to do it from the west sideline.  The move was easier since they didn’t need to consider the fans in the stands.  

Yeah, I don't think that tweet really captured what was said.  I read more later.

Basically opposing coaches can't see the sideline as well from the press box.  So you don't have to do as much to hide/disguise the signals you're sending.  And apparently the worry is many fans specifically get their tickets so they are behind the Husker bench.  If they were to switch sides they might have a lot of unhappy season ticket holders.  So the switch is apparently only for this year.  At least that's the story for now.

2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Yeah, I don't think that tweet really captured what was said.  I read more later.

Basically opposing coaches can't see the sideline as well from the press box.  So you don't have to do as much to hide/disguise the signals you're sending.  And apparently the worry is many fans specifically get their tickets so they are behind the Husker bench.  If they were to switch sides they might have a lot of unhappy season ticket holders.  So the switch is apparently only for this year.  At least that's the story for now.

Yep, that's basically what I had heard/read.  

I wish they would just bite the bullet and make the change permanent.  Sure, there might be some fans that are unhappy.  But, if they would announce now, maybe some would be able to get their seats changed to the west side if that's so important to them.  Maybe there's some on the west side that like seeing the view of the Nebraska sideline from there that would change to the east side.

17 minutes ago, Mavric said:

That makes much more sense and matches up with the reasons I've heard as well.

I still think this "hypothetical" conversation sounds nuts though:

Frost: I think moving our team to the west sideline would be a good move.  Can we try it?

Moos: Why do you say?

Frost: Well, teams won't be able to easily steal our signs so we can be more efficient at sending in plays in a hurry up offense.  We also wouldn't ask our coaches to look into the sun and it might be cooler in the shade on a hot late summer afternoon.  It just seems like a smart choice.

Moos: I'm gonna say "no".  There are a lot of fans that like to take pictures with players over the fence on the east side.  I wouldn't want them to have to walk around...

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1