Penn State Post-Game Pressers

Mavric

Just now, In the Deed the Glory said:

No. Zoom issues for like 10 minutes

Just now, knapplc said:

There were technical issues with the feed. Volume was screwed up or something. They do Zoom calls on a daily basis, but after this game it didn't work, and Frost looked tired and not pleased about it.

Ahh..I was going to say, you ain't earned the right to be annoyed at having to do pc's

1 hour ago, ZRod said:

I wouldn't. I understand where this offense came from. I would have like to have seen a few more passes sprinkled in especially in the 3rd quarter. We needed to put them away on our first drive of the second half.

Luke gained 22 yards on the first NU play of the 3rd quarter. After a short gain on first down, NU passed on 2nd and 3rd down. All of this while being up 21 points, where a turnover at midfield would be disastrous.  So, it sounds like you are in the “call plays that work” crowd. 

• Plus1 1
19 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Luke gained 22 yards on the first NU play of the 3rd quarter. After a short gain on first down, NU passed on 2nd and 3rd down. All of this while being up 21 points, where a turnover at midfield would be disastrous.  So, it sounds like you are in the “call plays that work” crowd. 

Well duh... But seriously I wasn't really happy with 3rd quarter play calls. I'd have to go back and rewatch for specifics, but there were quite a few "wtf are we doing's" and I usually don't do that.

• Thanks 2
12 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Well duh... But seriously I wasn't really happy with 3rd quarter play calls. I'd have to go back and rewatch for specifics, but there were quite a few "wtf are we doing's" and I usually don't do that.

2nd drive in the 3rd quarter, after Penn State scored a TD to make it 27-13, NU takes over at the 25.

First play was a bad snap, which led to a loss of 5. Second play was a 10 yard pass to Allen to set up a reasonable 3rd and 5. 3rd down was a sack, for loss of 4, and forcing NU to punt. 

So how exactly is that bad play calling? Did Frost call the “bad snap” play or “let’s take a sack play”?  Sometimes it’s more on the execution of the play and less on the play call.

The 3rd drive of the 2nd half was a 12 play drive which took 6 minutes off the clock. While a TD would have been great, the FG made extended the lead to 14 points. If the D were able to make the stop after those points, or even force Penn State to take time off the clock, that is a good drive. 

I get not being happy with the offense in the 2nd half. It wasn’t great. But, Frost was trying to manage the game with a first time starting QB, a small WR getting a majority of the snaps at RB (due to Mills’ injury), and an o-line getting beat on a regular basis by a talented front 4.

Frost was trying to get that game to the end.  You want him to call more pass plays, but those plays with the Luke and the current WR’s weren’t exactly working. Plus, he’s trying to take time off the clock, where an incomplete pass stops the clock. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

11 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Started listening to Big Red Overreaction from 1620 the Zone. One of the first comments they make is that Luke missed an opportunity for an easy TD, if he keeps the ball on a zone read during the 4th quarter drive which NU was forced into a FG. Again, sometimes it’s execution, rather than play calling. 

Yeah, if I'm thinking of the same play it looked like the only defender left on the right side of the field was the corner covering the receiver on that side.  

The only thing I'd say is I'm not sure if it was actually a zone read or a running play called that had the appearance of a zone read.  But I really think if Luke would have just said "screw it, there's no on there" and took off he could have walked in.

Just now, Mavric said:

Yeah, if I'm thinking of the same play it looked like the only defender left on the right side of the field was the corner covering the receiver on that side.  

The only think I'd say is I'm not sure if it was actually a zone read or a running play called that had the appearance of a zone read.  But I really think if Luke would have just said "screw it, there's no on there" and took off he could have walked in.

Yes, I agree that there are a lot of plays which are disguised as “reads” but they are a 100% give to the RB. Hopefully they will see that in film and improve going forward. 

1 hour ago, ZRod said:

Don't worry Z, we saw the same things. And we're not in the run the plays that work crowd.  Mills getting nicked up didn't help but I'm not sure leaning so heavily on Wandale to run between the tackles should have been quite so prevalent. The bigger issue imo is that we have no medium to deep threats, and really not much for short threats. Our passing game needs work. I thought it looked very conservative and almost one dimensional for most of the 2nd half. I have no problem with slowing tempo and burning clock when we did. In fact it was refreshing to see some thought towards clock management. Of course it works better when you also make some first downs.

19 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Yes, I agree that there are a lot of plays which are disguised as “reads” but they are a 100% give to the RB. Hopefully they will see that in film and improve going forward. 

I think it was a legit read. If its the play I'm thinking of too we left the DE unblocked and he pursued the RB down the line. Shoulda been a keep. AM had the same issues last week though, and last year. Tommy and T-Mart missed them a lot too. It happens.

8 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Don't worry Z, we saw the same things. And we're not in the run the plays that work crowd.  Mills getting nicked up didn't help but I'm not sure leaning so heavily on Wandale to run between the tackles should have been quite so prevalent. The bigger issue imo is that we have no medium to deep threats, and really not much for short threats. Our passing game needs work. I thought it looked very conservative and almost one dimensional for most of the 2nd half. I have no problem with slowing tempo and burning clock when we did. In fact it was refreshing to see some thought towards clock management. Of course it works better when you also make some first downs.

I just thought with the lead we built we should have kept our foot on the gas a little more.