What is the future of the Republican Party?

4 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

That doesn’t tell the whole story.  What are the main priorities that each candidate is willing to fight for and against on their own accord tells a bigger story.  Most votes in Congress are pretty easy to vote for or against for politicians. 

It says what votes they disagreed on.  The only one where Romney didn’t have other Republicans join him was impeachment.  Maybe it would be easier if you could post which “appeasing” behaviors you’re talking about.

• Plus1 2

30 minutes ago, funhusker said:

It says what votes they disagreed on.  The only one where Romney didn’t have other Republicans join him was impeachment.  Maybe it would be easier if you could post which “appeasing” behaviors you’re talking about.

This can never be proven obviously, but I have little doubt in my mind that Romney would have walked away from Cavanaugh after the bogus allegations came out and went for a less political risky option.   I also have little doubt that Romney would not have nominated ACB in October and given in to Dem demands to wait until after the election.  Fighting for immigration reform that included border security first before anything else. Those are a few that are opinions of mine 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Archy1221 said:

This can never be proven obviously, but I have little doubt in my mind that Romney would have walked away from Cavanaugh after the bogus allegations came out and went for a less political risky option.   I also have little doubt that Romney would not have nominated ACB in October and given in to Dem demands to wait until after the election.  Fighting for immigration reform that included border security first before anything else. Those are a few that are opinions of mine 

“Kavanaugh” 

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

not have nominated ACB in October and given in to Dem demands to wait until after the election

That would have been a great "reach across the aisle" moment for the Republicans, helping to overcome the stain of the Gorsuch situation.

Alas...

15 minutes ago, knapplc said:

That would have been a great "reach across the aisle" moment for the Republicans, helping to overcome the stain of the Gorsuch situation.

Alas...

If I actually thought that Harry Reid or Schumer (Last two Dem Senate leaders) would have done anything different than McConnell I might have agreed with you.  

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, Archy1221 said:

Do you believe that Reid or Schumer would have done anything different if roles were reversed?  

Unlike you, I'm not going to speculate. We know they have not done what McConnell has done, and we know that with ACB the Republicans had an opportunity to work with Democrats, but instead they unilaterally rammed another judge down our throats.

No speculation about what anyone else would or wouldn't do will change that.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

So you don’t like Romney for what he might have done in an alternate reality?

Got it.

Because Romney did vote for ACB and he’s on record saying he would have voted for Kavanaugh.

https://apnews.com/article/ac3554d9962a486fb2f753017fba741f

• Plus1 1

10 minutes ago, funhusker said:

So you don’t like Romney for what he might have done in an alternate reality?

Got it.

Because Romney did vote for ACB and he’s on record saying he would have voted for Kavanaugh.

https://apnews.com/article/ac3554d9962a486fb2f753017fba741f

Of course it’s hypothetical because Romney was never President.  Does Romney have the same foreign policy theme as Trump? Same trade policy them as Trump? 
If you are trying to tell me Romney would have put forth the same agenda and policies as Trump without the social media nonsense Trump carried, I’m just not gonna agree.  

• Plus1 1
13 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Of course it’s hypothetical because Romney was never President.  Does Romney have the same foreign policy theme as Trump? Same trade policy them as Trump? 
If you are trying to tell me Romney would have put forth the same agenda and policies as Trump without the social media nonsense Trump carried, I’m just not gonna agree.  

Wish we knew...I voted for him.

19 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I thought this conversation was about Romney’s current beliefs and how they fit in the current party.  My mistake...

• Plus1 1