What is the future of the Republican Party?

1 minute ago, DevoHusker said:

I switched my voter registration in 2019 because I didn't want to be seen as associated/supportive with Trump

I commend you for that choice.  But when 90+% of the GOP don’t have a problem being associated with him, that brings up an issue for me.  Kinda adds to the pile of evidence in the article.

3 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I commend you for that choice.  But when 90+% of the GOP don’t have a problem being associated with him, that brings up an issue for me.  Kinda adds to the pile of evidence in the article.

I understand that it makes for good copy, and I am speaking from the middle of Nebraska, but still does not reflect my personal experience or observations.

Not very scientific I know...

5 minutes ago, knapplc said:

This is what we used to call "reaching across the aisle" and it used to be considered laudable.

Appeasing Democrats is not reaching across the isle.  It’s appeasing them and their policies instead of fighting for Republican priorities outside of the war machine neocon Bush/McCain.  Reaching across the isle is finding common ground not just giving in and getting nothing in return outside of war 

• Plus1 1
Just now, Archy1221 said:

Appeasing Democrats is not reaching across the isle.  It’s appeasing them and their policies instead of fighting for Republican priorities outside of the war machine neocon Bush/McCain.  Reaching across the isle is finding common ground not just giving in and getting nothing in return outside of war 

And that's a pretty succinct explanation for why the Republican party is where it is today.

• Plus1 3
3 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Mitt Romney aligns with Tom Cotton 94% of the time according to ProPublica.  The main difference is Romney voting Trump guilty in Impeachment #1.  Sounds like his son is not backing Trump at all costs. https://projects.propublica.org/represent/members/C001095-tom-cotton/compare-votes/R000615-mitt-romney/116

This.  Basically where Romney broke with Trump was on Impeachment#1, funding the military, Trump's emergency funding of the border wall, and the election fraud nonsense.  For that he is labeled a RINO by the cult.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/congress-trump-score/mitt-romney/

4 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

This.  Basically where Romney broke with Trump was on Impeachment#1, funding the military, Trump's emergency funding of the border wall, and the election fraud nonsense.  For that he is labeled a RINO by the cult.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/congress-trump-score/mitt-romney/

And outside of the impeachment vote, he wasn’t the lone “rogue” Republican.  Some of them even had enough GOP support to override Trumps veto.

6 minutes ago, knapplc said:

And that's a pretty succinct explanation for why the Republican party is where it is today.

I’m not following you.  It seems like you are saying Republicans are only working across the isle when they pass Democrat priorities while not holding Democrats to help pass a Republican priorities.  

To me working across the isle is both sides getting some of what they want and not getting some of what they want. 

• Plus1 1
17 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Mitt Romney aligns with Tom Cotton 94% of the time according to ProPublica.  The main difference is Romney voting Trump guilty in Impeachment #1.  Sounds like his sin is not backing Trump at all costs, even @Archy1221claims he has stopped supporting Trump.  https://projects.propublica.org/represent/members/C001095-tom-cotton/compare-votes/R000615-mitt-romney/116

That doesn’t tell the whole story.  What are the main priorities that each candidate is willing to fight for and against on their own accord tells a bigger story.  Most votes in Congress are pretty easy to vote for or against for politicians. 

• Plus1 1