Media Bias

On 3/27/2024 at 12:25 PM, teachercd said:

I have never heard of the person before but...I mean, you get to the point where you could, in theory, bring up "any reason" to get people canned.  Which of course, we have seen before in history.  

While I am fine with what they did, it is hard to not see how this can be a slippery slope.  

What is it next time, they get mad and want someone fired who is for abortion?  

Again, I am fine with it but later on, if someone gets canned for something YOU agree with, then you have to sort of sit there and eat it.

Technically, her job was in the journalism business, and if the top line in your resume is the job you did willfully spreading partisan disinformation do the detriment of the nation, it should be a disqualifier. 

Is Ronna any worse than Rachel Maddow's obsession with Russia? All things considered: yes. She's 42% worse. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Technically, her job was in the journalism business, and if the top line in your resume is the job you did willfully spreading partisan disinformation do the detriment of the nation, it should be a disqualifier. 

Is Ronna any worse than Rachel Maddow's obsession with Russia? All things considered: yes. She's 42% worse. 

Yeah, it seems like it was just a stupid hire for them in the first place

• Plus1 1
30 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I mean they did hire Jen Psaki.  So there’s that.  

• Plus1 1

21 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Nice to see someone coming clean on reporting standards at NPR.  Important to note the Adam Schiff lies during Russiagate that were posted here too.  

https://www.thefp.com/p/npr-editor-how-npr-lost-americas-trust

That's an excellent if depressing article by Berliner, who is absolutely correct that diversity itself is meaningless if it's not a diversity of opinion. 

I blame rescinding the Communications Act of 1934, which perhaps ironically had the federal government requiring companies using public airwaves to operate in the public interest, convenience, and necessity, including mandatory hours spent on balanced civic discourse (usually stuck in the early Sunday time slot) 

24/7 cable monetized the news, and found it could profit off narratives and identity politics. And they could profit even more if they fired working reporters and replaced them with talking heads. Easiest way to keep the story going is to have good guys vs. bad guys, and pretty soon every story coming across the transom got broken down into those two bins.

Social media made it infinitely worse.

And then Donald Trump comes into the mix, transforming one of only two parties in this country, and launching something much worse than most of us imagined. Even as I lobby for a balance of opinion, I'm just gobsmacked this guy even exists and that a cult has grown around him. Time, space, and logic appear to be broken. This f#&%er IS the bad guy, by almost every historical definition of the term, and his vision for America is by his own definition: revenge. He literally wants to overturn democracy for personal gain. They barely hide the grift anymore. 

So when even the moderate Dems at NPR, or CNN, or here on HB see what might be a legitimate story about Hunter Biden, or a Chinese Lab theory, or just Joe's cognitive challenges, the first reaction is: s#!t, this could help Trump get reelected. 

It's not a journalist's job to direct political outcomes. But sweet Jesus.....if facts remain facts and NPR is the corollary to Newsmax, I will run with their bias until Walter Cronkite returns from the dead.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
7 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

24/7 cable monetized the news, and found it could profit off narratives and identity politics. And they could profit even more if they fired working reporters and replaced them with talking heads. Easiest way to keep the story going is to have good guys vs. bad guys, and pretty soon every story coming across the transom got broken down into those two bins.

I also find this to be unfortunate.  

• Plus1 2

18 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I’m not putting this here because I think it’s bias. But, the only other thread is just about right wing disinformation. 

Hmmm. If they led with the most egregious missteps from both the left and the right and showed their homework, there's the theoretical chance they could change some minds. 

Not this again.

Senate Russia report proves Trump collusion was very real. But do voters care?

The Senate Intelligence Committee should be applauded for releasing the fifth and final volume of its investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election.

With over 200 witness interviews and roughly 1 million documents reviewed, the nearly 1,000-page report documents in detail the comprehensive campaign conducted by Russian President Vladimir Putin and his proxies to seek influence within President Donald Trump's campaign, help Trump win the 2016 presidential election and amplify polarization and division within American society.

Far from a hoax, as the president so often claimed, the report reveals how the Trump campaign willingly engaged with Russian operatives implementing the influence effort. For instance, the report exposes interactions and information exchanged between Russian intelligence officer Konstantin Kilimnik and then-Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort. According to the report, campaign figures “presented attractive targets for foreign influence, creating notable counterintelligence vulnerabilities.” (Manafort was later convicted of tax and bank fraud.)

Concluding one of the highest-profile congressional investigations in recent memory, the report also uncovers abuses within the U.S. government’s investigation of this operation. These methods require review and reform.

The bipartisan tone of the majority of the report, released by a committee chaired by Florida Republican Sen. Marco Rubio, should be welcomed by all Americans who want our elected leaders to protect American sovereignty. National security should never be a partisan issue.

Trump was not exonerated by my report, Robert Mueller tells Congress

Mr Mueller said he had not exonerated Mr Trump of obstruction of justice.

The former FBI director spent two years probing alleged collusion between the 2016 Trump campaign and Russia, but did not establish collusion in a crime.

He concluded that Russia had interfered in the election with the intention of benefiting Mr Trump's campaign.

The questions focused largely on Mr Mueller's investigation of President Trump and his decision to say he could not exonerate the president of obstruction of justice, but Mr Mueller repeatedly stressed the importance of concerns over ongoing Russian interference in US democracy.

"Over the course of my career I have seen a number of challenges to our democracy. The Russian government's effort to interfere in our election is among the most serious," he said.

He added: "Much more needs to be done in order to protect against this intrusion, by the Russians but others as well."

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 3
  • Worth a Look 1
57 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I’m not putting this here because I think it’s bias. But, the only other thread is just about right wing disinformation. 

I wonder if Dan Rather will be prominently featured :) 

• Plus1 1