Economy

23 hours ago, Stumpy1 said:

I'm not sure if you have seen it with your business but we are having a very hard time getting people of the younger generation hired.   We have outstanding benefits and pay pretty well but we have been noticing that younger people are more interested in dollar signs than they are in benefits.  We have had people turn down our offers to go and make $2-3/hr  more but have told us that they will have to pay for insurance which is no big deal to them.  

I wonder how much of that is not fully understanding how job benefits work as compared to a higher wage. Took me years in the workforce before I really valued the benefits that different places had to offer.

1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

I wonder how much of that is not fully understanding how job benefits work as compared to a higher wage. Took me years in the workforce before I really valued the benefits that different places had to offer.

I think it has more to do with a new way of thinking...

The "company man" is dead as far as we know it.  Raises at your company are no longer a thing because you can job-jump and make way more than your next raise ever would have been.

10 hours ago, teachercd said:

I think it has more to do with a new way of thinking...

The "company man" is dead as far as we know it.  Raises at your company are no longer a thing because you can job-jump and make way more than your next raise ever would have been.

But….I’ve seen many times where people job hop but never advance in a company because they aren’t there long enough. Meanwhile, the person who stays there gets the promotions and moves up. 

Also, if I have three resumes in front of me and two job hopped and the other didn’t, I know which one I’m more interested in. 

15 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

But….I’ve seen many times where people job hop but never advance in a company because they aren’t there long enough. Meanwhile, the person who stays there gets the promotions and moves up. 

Also, if I have three resumes in front of me and two job hopped and the other didn’t, I know which one I’m more interested in. 

Oh for sure...

I think the issue is that a raise at your current job...is (or seems to be) never as big as when you job jump and can get that big new hire payday.

It is different in my profession because if you are at a good place, you just stay.

• Plus1 1

28 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I mean, are envionmentalists ever happy?

Well, that’s a good point.   Maybe they can move off energy and fight the rights of the Timberline Southwestern Six Legged Squint Beetle.   All the hikers are encroaching on its habitat. 

• Haha 2
On 6/10/2022 at 7:27 PM, RedDenver said:

If someone under 26 is taking higher pay instead of health insurance, that’s the smart move.  If they are forgoing 401k match, then they aren’t understanding the value of compound interest.  

• Plus1 1
On 6/12/2022 at 6:07 AM, teachercd said:

Do we hit a 6 dollar gallon of gas (national average) by July 4th?

And eggs are now 2.25 for a dozen?  What the f#&%...the minimum wage for chickens shoot way up?

Completely possible. 

Certainly by the end of the summer. Gas prices are very likely to remain high for a long time, as long as the war in Ukraine rages.