Economy

1 hour ago, Stumpy1 said:

I'm not sure if you have seen it with your business but we are having a very hard time getting people of the younger generation hired.   We have outstanding benefits and pay pretty well but we have been noticing that younger people are more interested in dollar signs than they are in benefits.  We have had people turn down our offers to go and make $2-3/hr  more but have told us that they will have to pay for insurance which is no big deal to them.  

HS kids pretty much won't work for less than 16 an hour right now.

This economy is f#&%ED...

Wait 3 months...August will be a nightmare with 6.50 for a gallon of gas and 9 dollars for a pound of ground beef. 

• Plus1 2

4 hours ago, knapplc said:

I am. But if you can show different, please do.

In the chart There is a group of unemployed that are actively looking for work and a group that is not actively looking for work.  You were breaking down the group that is actively looking for work. 

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, Stumpy1 said:

And cut back on "benefits" for the people that don't want to work. 

Labor force participation is quite high.  The "people who don't want to work" mostly involve retirees, teenagers, stay at home moms, etc.

Unemployment benefit cuts do not effect job rates or have much of any affect on the economy, other than increasing poverty and food I security of people who need it. 

• Plus1 1

47 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

You were breaking down the group that is actively looking for work. 

No. Look at that data again. People with disabilities are not actively looking for work. Full-time students are not actively looking for work.

If that's what you think you're looking at, I think we see the disconnect in why people think there's a huge "lazy" class out there. That demographic is minuscule. Less than 2% of the pop.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Stumpy1 said:

I'm not sure if you have seen it with your business but we are having a very hard time getting people of the younger generation hired.   We have outstanding benefits and pay pretty well but we have been noticing that younger people are more interested in dollar signs than they are in benefits.  We have had people turn down our offers to go and make $2-3/hr  more but have told us that they will have to pay for insurance which is no big deal to them.  

Yes. You have to have the benefits to keep the older workers that have families…etc. 

But, younger people don’t give a s#!t about that. They just want the highest wage. 

It’s a major balancing act. 

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

I know someone who did this.  Sold their home in late 2020 and are still living in the camper.

I wonder what kind of MPG the truck gets when hauling a camper...

Shoot, RV tanks can be as big as 100 gallons...imagine filling that up!