Economy

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Wow...I need a drink after reading that.

Sounds like the 1970s all over again.  When do the disco balls return??  High gas prices, shortages, high food prices etc.  

Will  Biden do a Jimmy Carter with a 'malaise'  / Crisis of Confidence speech?   We seem to be at that doorstep.  And all

the GOP has to offer in response is 4 more years of Trump.   No Reagan like leadership for sure. 

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

Sounds like the 1970s all over again.  When do the disco balls return??  High gas prices, shortages, high food prices etc.  

Will  Biden do a Jimmy Carter with a 'malaise'  / Crisis of Confidence speech?   We seem to be at that doorstep.  And all

the GOP has to offer in response is 4 more years of Trump.   No Reagan like leadership for sure. 

Reagan Republican is dead. 

I found this study on labor participation rate very interesting.  I was doing research today on why nobody can find labor.  I was trying to figure out if there was a demographic that is entering the workforce at a higher rate to key on who to try to hire.

LINK

People exiting the workforce remains elevated for a number of reasons.  Basically, many people retired early during the pandemic and continue to do so.  The other big factor is women who have left the workforce.  This is most often attributed to needing to care for people (kids) at home.  There was a noticeable uptick in women entering the workforce last fall when most schools went back to in school classes.

Another small but interesting tidbit is that 200,000+ people of working age died from COVID.  Obviously, they are out of the market.

Another troubling trend is that the population of working age adults has leveled off.  In fact, it actually declined from 2019 to 2022.  I've read on this before.  That can be attributed to lower birth rates and the baby boomers aging.  LINK

Another major factor is a decline in immigration.

There are more young people entering the workforce than usual.  This is also seen in the decline in percentage of kids entering college after HS.  I heard a report the other day that this is, in large part, because wages have increased so much that they can go get a job paying decent money instead of paying huge amounts to go to college.

Thought you might find it interesting.

edit to add:

I found this graph interesting.  LINK

percentage-of-us-population-of-working-a

FYI...there's 2 jobs openings for everyone looking for a job in the US.

• Plus1 1

7 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Can someone please tell me why we would drastically cut back on both non-tourist visas and green cards in the last few years?

2020 had the largest drop in non-tourist visas and new arrival green cards granted in 25 years.

Edit:  Probably because of COVID.

It started before Covid though. Once Trump was elected he made it much harder to get an H1B. That’s just one example.

18 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I found this study on labor participation rate very interesting.  I was doing research today on why nobody can find labor.  I was trying to figure out if there was a demographic that is entering the workforce at a higher rate to key on who to try to hire.

LINK

People exiting the workforce remains elevated for a number of reasons.  Basically, many people retired early during the pandemic and continue to do so.  The other big factor is women who have left the workforce.  This is most often attributed to needing to care for people (kids) at home.  There was a noticeable uptick in women entering the workforce last fall when most schools went back to in school classes.

Another small but interesting tidbit is that 200,000+ people of working age died from COVID.  Obviously, they are out of the market.

Another troubling trend is that the population of working age adults has leveled off.  In fact, it actually declined from 2019 to 2022.  I've read on this before.  That can be attributed to lower birth rates and the baby boomers aging.  LINK

Another major factor is a decline in immigration.

There are more young people entering the workforce than usual.  This is also seen in the decline in percentage of kids entering college after HS.  I heard a report the other day that this is, in large part, because wages have increased so much that they can go get a job paying decent money instead of paying huge amounts to go to college.

Thought you might find it interesting.

edit to add:

I found this graph interesting.  LINK

percentage-of-us-population-of-working-a

FYI...there's 2 jobs openings for everyone looking for a job in the US.

This is a good post. 

Our situation is caused by a lot of factors, where no one solution can fix all of them. It'll take an approach that addresses each one of these problems individually, something that simply will be difficult for Congress to do. 

9 hours ago, Moiraine said:

It started before Covid though. Once Trump was elected he made it much harder to get an H1B. That’s just one example.

You are correct.  I was mostly looking at the huge drop in 2020.  But, it had already started dropping before that.

So......the US doesn't have enough people to fill jobs.  Everyone wants jobs brought back from Asia and other parts of the world...creating more jobs.  But, we don't want to increase immigration.

Sure...that's going to work.

1 minute ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

This is a good post. 

Our situation is caused by a lot of factors, where no one solution can fix all of them. It'll take an approach that addresses each one of these problems individually, something that simply will be difficult for Congress to do. 

I completely agree.  What drives me crazy is people who pick one idea out and blame it all on that.  The one I hear the most is..."People are just lazy and don't want to work."  Well, I think I've shown that that's not the problem.  We just don't have the people.

• Plus1 2
37 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I completely agree.  What drives me crazy is people who pick one idea out and blame it all on that.  The one I hear the most is..."People are just lazy and don't want to work."  Well, I think I've shown that that's not the problem.  We just don't have the people.

What tickles me is that the same people who complain "people don't want to work" also support restrictive immigration policies, they are against policies to help support working mothers, and are against policies that encourage population growth and having kids.

• Plus1 1