Political Hyprocrisy & a Place to Park Your Whataboutism

Trump: Boycott Coca-Cola

Trump: Hide his bottle of Coke

https://www.mediaite.com/politics/after-urging-massive-boycott-trump-appears-to-hide-own-diet-coke-bottle-for-pic-with-stephen-miller/?utm_source=mostpopular

President Donald Trump urged his fans and followers to boycott Major League Baseball, Coca-Cola, Delta, and other companies that are boycotting Georgia over the new voter integrity law in the state. But in a photo going around social media on Monday, his own Diet Coke appears to have survived the abstention.

“Don’t go back to their products until they relent,” said Trump in a statement released on Saturday.

But, when former adviser Stephen Miller shared a photo of the two at a meeting in Mar-a-Lago…

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

30 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

This is one of the worst things I've seen trying to whitewash one side and a clear example of the No True Scotsman fallacy. Authoritarianism can exist on the left, right, center, top, bottom, etc.

An interesting take from Mr Cain. I had to read more of his stances on other issues. Not sure his views are exactly mainstream, but interesting nonetheless. 

Here is what he says about income inequality in the US.

A powerful measure that would indeed counteract the destructive market forces at the heart of the problem would be to impose an income tax on income inequality. The key mechanism would be to link income taxes on the wealthy to the level of inequality in society. Under this paradigm, inequality in the economy would be measured on a regular basis. Whenever inequality in society becomes too great, such as today, an income tax on the wealthy at the very top would automatically be triggered (no action required from Congress). The tax would apply only to the highest marginal income tax level, say, maybe $5 million per year and above. No tax would apply to the middle class or anyone else. The tax would be steep. Very steep. Say, maybe, 70%. The tax would remain in effect until the level of inequality in society were reduced to an acceptable level, in which event the tax ,would be lifted automatically. The centerpiece and driving force behind this approach is that it introduces proper financial incentives.

6 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

An interesting take from Mr Cain. I had to read more of his stances on other issues. Not sure his views are exactly mainstream, but interesting nonetheless. 

Here is what he says about income inequality in the US.

A powerful measure that would indeed counteract the destructive market forces at the heart of the problem would be to impose an income tax on income inequality. The key mechanism would be to link income taxes on the wealthy to the level of inequality in society. Under this paradigm, inequality in the economy would be measured on a regular basis. Whenever inequality in society becomes too great, such as today, an income tax on the wealthy at the very top would automatically be triggered (no action required from Congress). The tax would apply only to the highest marginal income tax level, say, maybe $5 million per year and above. No tax would apply to the middle class or anyone else. The tax would be steep. Very steep. Say, maybe, 70%. The tax would remain in effect until the level of inequality in society were reduced to an acceptable level, in which event the tax ,would be lifted automatically. The centerpiece and driving force behind this approach is that it introduces proper financial incentives.

I have said for a long time that there needs to be some parts of the tax code that is automatic.  I like these ideas.  It would take so much of the drama and politics out of it.

• Plus1 2
4 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I have said for a long time that there needs to be some parts of the tax code that is automatic.  I like these ideas.  It would take so much of the drama and politics out of it.

Agree that sometimes thinking outside the mainstream box may bring results we hadn't thought of

• Plus1 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...