Nebraska Legislature Thread

4 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Wow, Jim Pillen solved not only the state but the federal government's spending problem!

Those dumb kids should just become rich and buy food instead of being hungry leeches on our social system.

Maybe im missing something, but this comes from the article.  $120 per kid and 60 days in the summer is $2 per day/kid?   Who’s gonna eat on that in todays world?    What are they gonna get…a few french fries and a bite of a Big Mac 

The program offers an electronic benefit transfer (EBT) card to children whose household income makes them eligible for free and reduced school lunches during the school year. Each of those Nebraska youths would have received a card loaded with $120 to help buy food during months that school is out.

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

That's a terrible decision. We have schools in the TriCities that are over 80% free and reduced

Appleseed estimated that 150,000 Nebraska kids would have benefited next summer if the state had opted into the new program. Modeled after pilot projects and a nationwide pandemic-era initiative that’s now ended, Congress authorized the more permanent summer program through the Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2023.

• TBH 1

12 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Maybe im missing something, but this comes from the article.  $120 per kid and 60 days in the summer is $2 per day/kid?   Who’s gonna eat on that in todays world?    What are they gonna get…a few french fries and a bite of a Big Mac 

if you buy a dozen eggs at $4 per dozen...you can feed a kid 6 eggs per day.  you don't have to pay fast food prices.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2
2 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

The program offers an electronic benefit transfer (EBT) card to children whose household income makes them eligible for free and reduced school lunches during the school year. Each of those Nebraska youths would have received a card loaded with $120 to help buy food during months that school is out.

While I agree this is a small amount of money per kid, it's still helpful.

What's frustrating is that this is free money. The state only needed to pay $300k of administration costs to get $18 million in funding. That's a 60x return on money. 

There's no valid reason to turn away the funds. The federal government will not notice the funds being returned, the state of Nebraska refused a guranteed 6000% investment, and now thousands of kids will be a little more hungry than they otherwise would've been. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • TBH 2
2 hours ago, commando said:

if you buy a dozen eggs at $4 per dozen...you can feed a kid 6 eggs per day.  you don't have to pay fast food prices.

I was able to add quite a few items that provides 60 days of lunches for at least one kid, maybe two.

We got bread and peanut butter, bulk bags of cereal, pancake mix, staples like macaroni and hot dogs, boxes of Ramen (12 packs!) with bags of frozen carrots and broccoli if you think your kids will eat it that way, pizza rolls, knoor rice sides with more vegetables, pre-packaged frozen burritos, frozen sliders, a 5 pound bag of rice if you want to meal prep anything, canned fruits... the point is, with minimal effort 120 dollars can go a long way to feeding a kid.

Screenshot_20231220_221050_Chrome.thumb.jpg.ef471256504814289365c0f2f31fddb9.jpg

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 2

So I don’t wanna derail the discussion on food - we’ve been doing a lot more cooking at home lately and I’ve been trying to get healthier with my choices. Lots of veggie friendly stuff as the missus is a pescatarian (fish only for animal protein). I love rice which is dirt cheap and have recently found beans or lentils cooked in a pressure cooker are super easy and tasty if you season or sauce them up well enough. Great protein option as your body treats rice and beans like animal protein because it’s got a complete amino profile.

Anyway my main point: what’s the consensus on life under Pillen? Is the legislature actually doing anything worthwhile or just following his culture war crap and b!^@hing about property taxes? Is ole Ernie Chambers still up to his shenanigans or did he finally pursue something else? 

it’s pretty hard to keep up with the homeland since we moved up north.

• Plus1 2
7 hours ago, Danny Bateman said:

So I don’t wanna derail the discussion on food - we’ve been doing a lot more cooking at home lately and I’ve been trying to get healthier with my choices. Lots of veggie friendly stuff as the missus is a pescatarian (fish only for animal protein). I love rice which is dirt cheap and have recently found beans or lentils cooked in a pressure cooker are super easy and tasty if you season or sauce them up well enough. Great protein option as your body treats rice and beans like animal protein because it’s got a complete amino profile.

Anyway my main point: what’s the consensus on life under Pillen? Is the legislature actually doing anything worthwhile or just following his culture war crap and b!^@hing about property taxes? Is ole Ernie Chambers still up to his shenanigans or did he finally pursue something else? 

it’s pretty hard to keep up with the homeland since we moved up north.

Ernie is retired and Pillen is an idiot. 

• Plus1 2

• 2 weeks later...