Beck missing

I think he definately needs to be reprimanded for this. If he does decide to come back, I believe he needs to be suspended for a few weeks.

I know this has probably been said on this thread, but he is probably better not coming back. How can he expect to get the respect of his team mates back after something like this? If I was a player on this team, I might let him take a couple of hits before I even talk to him. I don't care if he is 18 years old or not, he needs to realize that he is letting down the TEAM and not his over protecting mommy who thinks he is the next Heisman winner.

You could not pay me to be Harrison Beck right now! This is going to cause him nothing but problems. First, to all of you who said that Zac Taylor will laugh this off, I could not disagree more. You have to understand, all of these players, while extremely nice and close-knit, are also extremely prideful. If I was a betting man, I would say that everything that Beck's mom said has probably come out of her son's mouth during discussions that they had. I know that. Zac knows that. The whole team knows that. You have to believe that as soon as Harrison comes back to the team, they will all look at him like a guy who is not about the team, but about himself. To call out the talent of another player is one thing, but to call out the quarterback and LEADER OF YOUR TEAM?!?!

In the words of Ozzie..."Phhh...Please!"

yep, agreed.......Harrison is gonna have to "eat outta this sh#t sack" IF he comes back.......once you speak those words (Mom...) you can't take them back...ever.

but knowing Zac (having tremendous character) he would be willing to help Harrison get his act together......i also agree with previous comments regarding Cody's "telling comments" about Harrison needing to mature.....don't have to read between the lines too much here........Zac has gotten and earned the praise and respect of his teamates and the coaches.......i suspect Beck is a little jealous.....

hunter

Well, I hope to god he's not feeling how his mother says he's feeling. I think she may have offended a good deal of Husker nation with those comments - which were understandable, coming from a mother, but shallow nevertheless. "Wrong choice by going to Nebraska, should've stayed in the SEC"? Not something you want to hear out of any player's mother. "Zac is <strong>'OK'</strong>?" Let's get something straight here, Mrs. Beck-Bothwell. Zac Taylor is our savior. Zac Taylor is this team's inspiration. We thank our lucky stars for him and pray for his safety every night. The only way Beck starts a single game this season is if Zac goes down - which is a situation I personally fear more than the apocalypse.

Beck looked like a great guy: good talent and sacrificed his redshirt to deliver us the KSU victory. I thought that showed a lot of good character, but this latest development seems to indicate the opposite. Being a highly touted recruit doesn't mean the coaches owe you anything - after just coming off that shoulder injury, I don't think you can just waltz into training camp and right away shoot up the charts. If Beck is trying to pull another Crouch, he should expect no sympathy from Husker nation, and nor should he expect any good to come out of it. I don't think Callahan is going to track him down and beg him to come back like Solich did.

As far as Ganz goes, I like Ganz. He's a bit of a more mobile QB I believe, hearkening ever so slightly to the glory days of yore, and I've just been getting good impressions. While I always assumed Beck was going to lead this program after The Savior moves on, if that's honestly his attitude I wouldn't be sorry at all to say good-bye to Beck and welcome the Joey Ganz era.

Besides, Ganz is a cooler name to hear announcers call out, IMO. :-P

He is only 18 and being listed at #2 for NU has got to be alot of pressure for someone that young.

Apparently his frustration is being listed at #4. Which I don't completely understand, Beck listed at #4 - but disappearing from camp is sending me chilling vibes and the ghostly echo of "Eric Crouch". I seriously hope this isn't what it looks like, and that he pulls himself together. Because you know, I trust the NU coaching staff and their judgment on their players more than the players themselves, and their mothers. Sure he's important, but the minute he decides his interests and those of the team's conflict, that's bad news for his future. At any school, at any level.

*Ahem* Excuse me for my rant. I'll breathe now. :wacko:

maybe that pre season ranking was Cally trying to send Beck a message......."get serious, step up and show some leadership Harrison"....who knows how long the coaches have been trying to get this kid to take the game seriously?? i think there may be a lot we DON'T KNOW when it comes to Beck........but i sure thought something was amiss during the spring session......i have been suspicious all along

but hope he proves me wrong......

hunter

QUOTE (pigsonthewing @ Aug 5 2006, 05:17 PM)

is it just me, or does it seem that the pressure is getting to him? i hope he was just sick or something. 

I was just telling my wife the other day that the pressure on these kids out of high school is crazy!!! Pressure still isn't an excuse for his actions!!! He's going to have pressure anywhere he goes and throughout his life!!!! Now my problem with him now is, what's he going to do in a big game???? Fold or step up and deal with it!!!! :dunno

yep, this will pass just as quick as the Josh Freeman deal......he either comes back on his own or he is gone....i prefer Cally stating, "it is up to Harrison if he comes back".......he can show up and grow up.......or go back home and wait a year to play somewhere else......hate losing him and Bowman (for the season), but folks, life just goes on and you learn to deal with it!

look at Oklahoma's mess, we are not the only team that has disappointments...it really is a sign of the times..no wonder the NFL has a bunch of cottled players.....it all starts in the college ranks....we would ultimately have better role models for all our kids, if the high profile guys did not receive special treatment...too bad we couldn't get all the coaches to "bust the chops" of some of these kids right in college....sure they are just kids, but character is something that you hopefully develop in your kids as they move through their high school years.....being a little humble sure never hurt anyone, that i can recall.......

well, this could be two high profile qb recruits we lost, 'cause they might have to earn playing time...sorry, i don't have much sympathy for this crap!........

hunter

***SNIP***

look at Oklahoma's mess, we are not the only team that has disappointments...it really is a sign of the times..no wonder the NFL has a bunch of cottled players.....it all starts in the college ranks....

***SNIP***

High school, I think. Too much hype, too soon. Too many cases of letting star players skate through classes and letting them out of responsibility for their actions.

look at Oklahoma's mess, we are not the only team that has disappointments...it really is a sign of the times..no wonder the NFL has a bunch of cottled players.....it all starts in the college ranks....we would ultimately have better role models for all our kids, if the high profile guys did not receive special treatment...too bad we couldn't get all the coaches to "bust the chops" of some of these kids right in college....sure they are just kids, but character is something that you hopefully develop in your kids as they move through their high school years.....being a little humble sure never hurt anyone, that i can recall.......

High school, I think. Too much hype, too soon. Too many cases of letting star players skate through classes and letting them out of responsibility for their actions.

^ Truth.

And thank god we are not Oklahoma.

i've had friends that have had classes with mr beck and said that he never really liked it here in the first place.. i used to have some respect for the kid because he "allowed" callahan and company to recruit another QB after they promised him they wouldn't... I thought that he could be a real class guy...and you know what we may be selling him short....look at his idol bret favre, he wasn't always the best person early in his career either, maybe he is going through something that we can;t understand without hearing his side of the story. There are a lot of things that could be going on that he needs to think about... is that an excuse for not letting your teamates in on that...absolutely not.

At the same time it sounds like he was coddled and has had his back patted for him his whole life by family/friends/coaches and he isn't getting that now, and his parents won't allow it. We on this side of the story can only speculate, cause we don't know...his parents might be good people and are standing up for their son, but once again thats not an excuse for the things said about ZT.

One more last thing to look at...When LJAX left the team did you notice how his family told him that he was being a baby and told him to get his tail end back to school, i'm not really seeing that happening this time with his high profile athlete. if i even made a half attempt to quit something i started my momma woulda kicked my BUTT... he's just going to have to stick out this adversity, seems to me if he hadn't left next year was his to lose... anyways...sorry for the rant folks :boxosoap