Pro Football Focus Offense grades

lo country

PFF graded out the Huskers vs Fordham.

I was a little disappointed that the greades were not higher, but the tape doesn't lie as they say......

Some quick takes:

The OL graded out higher in pass pro than running plays

Cam scored very high

Stepp had over 1/2 of his yards after contact....

As a whole RB's averaged almost 3 yrds per carry after contact

RB scores as a whole were average.....

AM and Smothers also scored well

https://nebraska.rivals.com/news/pff-snap-counts-and-grades-for-nebraska-s-offense-vs-fordham

• Plus1 3

1 hour ago, ZRod said:

Stepp definitely should be the starter. He wears #30 well. My only complaint is he needs to work on the exchange with the QB he ran into Adrian a handful of times on Saturday.

I agree he should be out there from the jump and those handoffs should have been ironed out by now.  I’m hoping he gets a steady diet of runs catches out of the backfield against Buffalo 

• Plus1 2

3 hours ago, TheSker said:

Part of the reason the offense still struggles some is the roster turnover.

Toure, Stepp, Ervin.....skill players in their first year whether true freshmen or transfer 

The offensive line is still very young also.  Three of the five are rFr or Fr with Jurgens a sophomore.

Part of the reason is roster turnover???!?

b128c989bcfa007f077752a203f7c69e.jpg

You mentioned 3 guys......     and 2 of them aren't struggling!!!?!!

13498106.jpg

Young???!!??  They been here since Frost has!!!!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ9C89SxGd9yp7jVZXxpIVxOvhHC8fSdmOBNX5Y9jemT7-DWmwoVyyfd4tqHDo8FKz_eLM&usqp=CAU

And YOU still BLAME Riley!!!!!!!!!!!

goodfellas-henry-hill.gif

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 2
37 minutes ago, admo said:

13498106.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ9C89SxGd9yp7jVZXxpIVxOvhHC8fSdmOBNX5Y9jemT7-DWmwoVyyfd4tqHDo8FKz_eLM&usqp=CAU

If you are entertaining yourself, life is good.

I hope we keep improving 

Thanks for your response.

• Plus1 3
51 minutes ago, admo said:

13498106.jpg

Btw Boss......I didn't mention Riley and no.....many of these guys including Corcoran for example have not been here as long as Frost has 

Your posts have been very supportive of the team.

Obviously a boring Sunday 

• Plus1 5

On 9/5/2021 at 12:37 PM, Toe said:

Odds on Stepp getting the start next week?

If Frost wants to keep his job, Stepp has to get the start. He is clearly significantly better than any of the others in terms of fighting through the hole and scraping for yardage.

On 9/5/2021 at 12:00 PM, lo country said:

The OL graded out higher in pass pro than running plays

This is pretty much /thread for me. And I'm thinking it might even be /season. I noticed this during the game itself as well. Our line - particularly our guards - are doing really poorly in run blocking in the first two games.

Frost is going to have to figure out how work the ball outside right from the start of the first quarter in games. He is doing what the majority of the fan base was screaming for back early on in the 2019 season when things weren't going well offensively - he's trying to base this offense around the power run. But his line just can't quite do it.

Stepp might give us some answers there but I think it's more about designing plays to work the ball outside now more than anything.

• Plus1 3
3 minutes ago, Undone said:

If Frost wants to keep his job, Stepp has to get the start. He is clearly significantly better than any of the others in terms of fighting through the hole and scraping for yardage.

This is pretty much /thread for me. And I'm thinking it might even be /season. I noticed this during the game itself as well. Our line - particularly our guards - are doing really poorly in run blocking in the first two games.

Frost is going to have to figure out how work the ball outside right from the start of the first quarter in games. He is doing what the majority of the fan base was screaming for back early on in the 2019 season when things weren't going well offensively - he's trying to base this offense around the power run. But his line just can't quite do it.

Stepp might give us some answers there but I think it's more about designing plays to work the ball outside now more than anything.

I agree.  Stepp geting more than have his yards after contact is huge.  I am so tired of seein a NU RB trip over the chalked hash or go down with an arm tackle......I'm with you on the inside running game.  Really hard to have one when their is no "open" inside to run too......

7 minutes ago, lo country said:

I'm with you on the inside running game.  Really hard to have one when their is no "open" inside to run too......

What I see more than anything is that teams that are at or below our level typically sell out against the run as their strategy to win - and it usually works. It's not that Sichterman & Piper won't be good linemen at some point - maybe even by the end of this year.

It's about designing a game plan with high percentage plays to take what the defense is giving you and then punish them for it. We got the running game going eventually, but only after the passing game had started to spread out the field a bit, IMO.

Nothin wrong with that. Keep doing that until the defense stops it.

• Plus1 2
27 minutes ago, Undone said:

It's not that Sichterman & Piper won't be good linemen at some point - maybe even by the end of this year.

Worth remembering that Sichterman has been around two years longer than Piper...