What should I do next weekend?

RedSavage

No matter what, I HAVE to watch them. Been in my blood since as long as I can remember. 

Used to be because they'd be on TV what, 2, maybe 3 times a year? It was a real treat to actually see the guys in red that we'd only hear about on the radio week after week.

With age, of course, things change, and they're on one channel or another every week. 

Part of it, after coaching football for more than a decade, is to see what fundamentals we're showing or lacking, especially on the offensive line. You other coaches probably know exactly what I'm talking about. If we had someone showing these enormous kids how to block - effective ways, I think we'd be 4-1 or better. Just SO much standing straight up, not driving feet, head down, losing their stance, poor foot width, etc; it's just disgusting that nobody making so much money on that staff is showing them effective ways to do things. 

I watch to see these things, the overall scheme, to see if we're doing stupid things like giving the ball to Brody Belt inside the 10 instead of Stepp or Yant. To catch those beautiful glimpses of triple option the Frost likes to tease us with. 

I watch to build up hope as we lead by 7 with less than 4 minutes to play. To think that maybe we have a chance in overtime. To watch it all die. 

But I'll keep watching. Better days ahead.

• Plus1 2

2 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

I don’t know about your neighbor but I can tell you many of us Husker fans are annoyed that you spend so much time posting on a Husker football site to brag about how much landscaping and yard work you’re doing instead of watching the football team you b!^@h, moan and gripe about. If your time is really freed up, maybe try kicking this habit too. Good luck.

I guess I just enjoy the company of great fans such as yourself too much to give this up.  Besides, without someone like me to demean, this group would lack purpose every day given what you see on the field each and every Saturday.  

Incidentally, I do not consider offering thanks to Coach Frost and his staff for their contributions as a gripe, but rather a courteous and respectful way for them to exit next season.  

2 hours ago, Touchdown Tommie said:

You say you have detoxed from Husker football, but here you are telling us how good you are at landscaping on Saturdays. Maybe cut the cord all together and not be on here as well.

Man, woman and child, your comment put 'em in the aisle!  Will you promise to unfriend me as well?

I am crestfallen by your remark and deeply hurt.  Such a great fan showing such intolerance for other views.  The inferiority complex has indeed set in.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, BigRedN said:

I can acknowledge that I have been there.  I think I stomached a couple of games last year.  I even turned off any notifications.  When I checked the next day it felt good that it didn't stir me in any way.

I'm sure you will get mocked for a post like this.  I just wanted to identify with that feeling and hope that for you, like me, you can come back and really be a part of something that I know deep down kills you.  In my own recovery journey [from addiction and in my disappointments with this football program], what I came to see what a whole lot of things that really did bother me [and had sorta become "identity" for me].  Today, I'm getting healthier as it relates to following Nebraska football.  For me, a win or a loss with my Big Red really did impact me.  The last 20 years was really tough.  Losing to Texas killed me.  Even recruiting losses killed me [like losing on Breece Hall, losing Wandale and various players like Fant in the past].

As others will note ... I'm having and have my own battles with my emotions with the program.  The thing this season that really helped me was to just follow the live thread during the game [rather than watching].  Folks are always extra negative in that thread during the game.  They expect the worse ... and then get it.  It actually helped me to see although I seem to come across as negative in a post ... I see others really have even more deeper thoughts of negativity and feel free to express it.  In it ... it helped me to see my own "fandom" in a new way and the parts of mm own mind that are unhealthy.  I also recently found out that my three sons [who have cut me out of their life], think I was a real a$$ as their tennis coach.  I really just wanted them to excel in ways I knew I could have been successful if I would have applied what I already knew.  In it all ... I was the Dad that screwed up and probably needed to be more of a cheerleader and just love them as they were.  What I did was focus on the key mistakes.  The home videos are rather telling.  It's embarrassing [my comments and negativity].  Today, I'm going on 4-5 years with no relationship with them.

In all of this ... I can say I'm really enjoying this season.  I watched the last two games and had a blast.  Rather than get frustration, I actually had some compassion.  In the end, I'm finding I'm rooting for Nebraska to persevere and I'm just "hoping" more for the best for the program and for Scott amidst what is obviously a disappointment to me.  I'm of the belief that we can and will be competitive in every game ... for that ... I really am thankful.  We may not turn the corner but still, for me it is entertaining again and something I'm emotionally willing to tolerate.

Enjoy that gardening.  I enjoy that as well.  Connect when you are ready Herbie.  As a fan, I welcome you back when you are ready to join the dance. 

Appreciate your sentiments and the "mocking" execution on the board that you referenced is already well underway.  I knew I could find a way to unite fans on this board, with disdain for me. Having said that, the program is so revered and supported in the state that it is sad to see it fall so far.  I just needed a break from it as my frustration was tainting my attitude elsewhere. 

To your comments on family, your ability to now reflect and view competition through a pragmatic lens is great.  Sports can promote so many good qualities (camaraderie, competition, work, etc.), but it should not replace what really matters, family.  You see that and it is for that reason that you and your sons will someday reconcile.  Stay strong.

• Plus1 1
41 minutes ago, All Hail Herbie said:

Man, woman and child, your comment put 'em in the aisle!  Will you promise to unfriend me as well?

I am crestfallen by your remark and deeply hurt.  Such a great fan showing such intolerance for other views.  The inferiority complex has indeed set in.

Not sure what you are trying to get at with the inferiority complex...just simply stating that if you have detoxed (your words) from the Huskers than coming on here to complain about the team you have 'cleansed' from yourself seems to not match up. Maybe you continue to fall off of the wagon from your detox by coming on here?

• Oh Yeah! 1
32 minutes ago, All Hail Herbie said:

Appreciate your sentiments and the "mocking" execution on the board that you referenced is already well underway.  I knew I could find a way to unite fans on this board, with disdain for me. Having said that, the program is so revered and supported in the state that it is sad to see it fall so far.  I just needed a break from it as my frustration was tainting my attitude elsewhere. 

To your comments on family, your ability to now reflect and view competition through a pragmatic lens is great.  Sports can promote so many good qualities (camaraderie, competition, work, etc.), but it should not replace what really matters, family.  You see that and it is for that reason that you and your sons will someday reconcile.  Stay strong.

Agreed. 

It's always fascinating to see those "Greatest Fans on Earth" just destroy a fellow Cornhusker the way we do.  

1 hour ago, Touchdown Tommie said:

Not sure what you are trying to get at with the inferiority complex...just simply stating that if you have detoxed (your words) from the Huskers than coming on here to complain about the team you have 'cleansed' from yourself seems to not match up. Maybe you continue to fall off of the wagon from your detox by coming on here?

Happy to clarify.  Detox was in reference to live game action.  That was the issue causing the greatest consternation.  This board is a bit like attending a therapy session, so no need to detox from therapy.  As a fellow therapy participant I am confident you would agree.  Or are you the therapist?

3 hours ago, commando said:

is this the landscaping sub forum of huskerboard?

Gives me the chills as I look out at my weed patch I call a lawn and has the neighbors on speed dial to the Nuisance Officer.  Then I say "f#&% it" and watch my Lions lose (again) on an NFL record 66 yard field.  

Years in the desert with that team.  These Husker bandwagoners don't have a clue of the futility.  

1 hour ago, BigRedN said:

Agreed. 

It's always fascinating to see those "Greatest Fans on Earth" just destroy a fellow Cornhusker the way we do.  

Thanks my friend.  I hold no animus against fans who are simply lashing out at me as a proxy for poor team performance.  That said, there is evidently a blood oath purity test involved for Board participation and I have failed to take mine.  

We all have the same goal, a respectable football program (on and off the field).  We just have different thoughts on how to get there.  

• Plus1 1