New Offensive Coordinator options?

1 minute ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

OK, so... let's look at who plays tonight:

Pitt vs. Wake Forest

Michigan vs. Iowa

USC vs. Cal

So our OC is coming from one of those six teams? Time to do some research I suppose

I missed USC v Cal.....If it's late game we are screwed with Harrell.  FML.  Musgrave is back in college after like a 19 year NFL stint.

3 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

OK, so... let's look at who plays tonight:

Pitt vs. Wake Forest

Michigan vs. Iowa

USC vs. Cal

So our OC is coming from one of those six teams? Time to do some research I suppose

It wont be Michigan or Iowa so down to 4.  Of those 4 Ruggerio stands out the most but I would guess Harrell given its been known a long time USC was going through a coaching change.

1 minute ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Harrell would be a huge letdown for sure. Do we want an air raid offense?  That would pretty much ensure Frost only has one season left.

Michigan destroyed OSU with power run and great D.  Baylor today. Utah last night. We are not going to get the QB that Bama, Clemson, Georgia can get....Harrell.  Great get.  I'd rather have Beau Davis or Harrison Beck

Just now, lo country said:

Michigan destroyed OSU with power run and great D.  Baylor today. Utah last night. We are not going to get the QB that Bama, Clemson, Georgia can get....Harrell.  Great get.  I'd rather have Beau Davis or Harrison Beck

So the only reason it may not be Harrell is that there really would not be a logical reason to wait to announce. USC is not playing for anything significant and there coaching staff has already been known to be in shambles.  I can see waiting to announce for those OCs playing in a championship game.  

I would much rather have Brent Davis than Harrell.  

Just now, HuskerNation1 said:

So the only reason it may not be Harrell is that there really would not be a logical reason to wait to announce. USC is not playing for anything significant and there coaching staff has already been known to be in shambles.  I can see waiting to announce for those OCs playing in a championship game.  

I would much rather have Brent Davis than Harrell.  

100% agree.  Only reason to wait is so we won't be disappointed until tomorrow morning.  If that's the best we can get imagine how good of an OL coach we will grab.

1 minute ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

There has been a lot of smoke for Harrell for a while but why would we not be able to announce that one sooner. No matter what he is not staying at USC so I wouldnt see why it would need to be a secret still. 

No idea. Unless this was a guy further down the list?  Make it look like we were waiting for their season to be over. Again, no idea.  I will just be extremely disappointed.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

There has been a lot of smoke for Harrell for a while but why would we not be able to announce that one sooner. No matter what he is not staying at USC so I wouldnt see why it would need to be a secret still. 

'

Yes that is what I just mentioned too.  There really is no need to wait as USC is not playing for anything.  Let's keep our fingers crossed it's going to be Ruggerio.  

• Haha 1

Mark Whipple (Pitt)

Warren Ruggiero (WF)

Josh Gattis (Michigan)

Brian Ferentz (Iowa)

Graham Harrell (USC)

Bill Musgrave (Cal)

Well, it obviously won't be Ferentz. Harrell will likely get a HC job this offseason and is rumored for CSU; he ran an "Air Raid" at USC that was ineffective. Gattis isn't leaving Michigan. So that leaves Whipple, Ruggiero, and Musgrave.

Musgrave is a unique name... just returned to the NCAA ranks last year after being in the NFL for nearly two decades. His offense this year didn't exactly light things up, though. 

USC is going through a shake-up with their staff, so some of their guys might be looking for landing spots. Sean Snyder would be excellent for special teams, but not as OC. Clay McGuire was OC at Texas Tech and ran an "Air Raid" offense... doesn't seem to fit.

Mark Whipple at Pitt would be great, and has done an excellent job this year with Kenny Pickett. He's only making around $500K, from what I've found. Would be a heckuva get if Frost could hire him away from the Panthers.

Ruggiero at Wake has been mentioned previously, and would be a solid hire as well. The thing is, he's been at Wake for 8 years... why would he want to leave now? Pay increase? Just looking for new surroundings?

I'd be happy with Whipple or Ruggiero. If we land either of them I'll be satisfied. Harrell hasn't impressed me as an OC and would be a major letdown. Let's hope this all isn't just a tease from Sipple & Co.