Betts

7 hours ago, cheekygeek said:

If I were a JOURNALIST, I would not let that line stop me from asking more questions.

Until it's actually a real scenario, and your job security and the success of your outlet having access to keep reporting on the entity with all the power to shut you out doesn't take kindly to your noble crusade.

Look, I get it. I would like to see plenty more uncompromising journalism across the entirety of the country and also in specific relation to NU football, where the overwhelming majority of outlets and reporters do little more than serve as positive mouthpieces for the university. But everything else you're going into is just...idk, I don't want to be dismissive and condescending but it's all a bit too wacky.

There are a million reasons why the narrative of Betts' heart not being in it is the true occam's razor answer. There are also hypothetical reasons that there could be more to the story. At the end of the day, you/we don't know the answer and can either decide to base our conclusions off the info presented, or base our conclusions based off of speculation that isn't rooted in anything at all.

• TBH 2

12 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I will say it's hard to understand why a guy with his talent doesn't have his heart in it but at the same time I kind of understand.  As a Junior I broke down to my DB coach and told him for the first time in my life I wasn't having fun playing football.  I was beat up physically at the time and we had a upperclassmen milking an injury opposite of me.   I felt like I was doing what was right for the team and my teammate was taking advantage of the fact he was a senior.  My coach agreed with me and gave me a couple days off to recover.  I never thought in a million years I would tell someone I wasn't having fun playing football.   But I did and I worked through it. Betts has his reasons and whatever they are, are good enough 

I have a relative who absolutely loved softball.  She was probably the top player in the state of Nebraska in HS.  She went off to Creighton and loved it for a couple years.  Then, she let it be known to her parents that she didn't love it anymore and the only reason why she was still playing was for her scholarship.  

This happens.  Some kids stick it out and some move on.

Making this into some big scandal is a worthless exercise.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • TBH 2

Not to mention this staff on several occasions in Press conferences has stated they would rather talk about the players that are out practicing and not the players that are out for whatever reason.  I've heard Rhule say it and Mcguire say it for sure, and I believe White mentioned it as well.

This is a staff edict in my opinion.  They acknowledge the players that are "out" and talk about the ones that are putting in the work.

15 hours ago, cheekygeek said:

Yeah, I know. With very few exceptions, Sports Journalists aren't Real Journalists.

Actually, sports journalists are often very good journalists. So good you wish they were investigating more vital subjects.

While you may find this Zavier Betts mystery worthy of Woodward & Bernstein style digging, pretty much everyone else can see the obvious: a talented young athlete has shown multiple times that he cannot deal with the pressure and expectations of high profile college football, and everyone who knows him supports his decision to leave, and has his back as he tries to get on with his life. 

A more detailed explanation would only exacerbate his personal problems, and neither Zavier or the team owes it to you. Take it for what it is and move on.

• Plus1 6

I don't think 'tired of football' is the only factor, here. Sounds like a quarrel with a teammate was involved. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up hitting the portal at some point...

• Haha 2

I just want to say that some good discussion came in the wake of my post (that was not simply checking which way the wind was blowing in the room and playing echo chamber). So, I’m glad I said what I said - but also appreciate the responses of EVERYONE who commented afterwards. To me, that is what this forum SHOULD BE about. Thoughtful perspectives, respectfully shared, by all.

#GBR !

I think I said it before here but just because he is really good at FB doesn't mean he likes it.  I know some guys that know him pretty well and he is just into anime cartoons and video games, stuff like that.  He doesn't want to go play pickup BB games with other dudes, he doesn't want to play FB and practice all the time.   

It happens.  Most of us saw it or we were "it" in HS sports, you played because your friends did or because your parents made you but you didn't really like it all that much.  The only difference is that this is at a much higher level.  

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 1