NBA 2023-24

4 hours ago, Mavric said:

They need to do what the NFL did: give up on trying to pretend that it's really a game.  

I don't know what the answer is.  Maybe make it a 2-on-2 or 3-on-3 tournament.  But it's a farce at this point.

Yeah something needs to be done, these guys are multi-millionaires, and the winning team gets $100,000. Guys get 20+Million a year aren't incentived by 100K. I would say this is a glorified practice, but I think they go harder at practices. Eliminate the 'game' piece of it. Have the skills challenge, the 3-point contest, the dunk contest, maybe add a game of 'PONY' (think HORSE, but shorter) to do some trick shots, could even add an in-season e-tourney and the 'championship game between the two best from each conference at all-star weekend as well. Everyone plays newest version of NBA2K with updated rosters and play head-to-head culminating in the two best in the conference squaring off duiring this weekend. And if TV (TNT) wants a game, have the G-League all stars play a game. And just announce 15 all pros for each conference with some hype videos of each player. Until you can make the reward worth the effort for these multi-millionaires, there's no point in actually playing the game.

23 hours ago, admo said:

Halfway into his 6th NBA season, 24 years old, and turning 25 soon.

Most Points Per Game - ALL TIME  

Impressive....

1. Michael Jordan* 30.12
2. Wilt Chamberlain* 30.07
3. Luka Dončić

Who is Luka?  6'8 255lb chubby kid. 

Let's get to know him.  

I can't remember where I saw the comparison but if you compare the numbers between Luka and Lebron for either first 5 seasons or at age 23, Luka was a head in all categories, or at least in at least 95% of the comps. Lebron may have been a head in blocks, and there wasn't much else. Luka is under appreciated for how great he is. Especially when looking at his numbers to some of the 'Mt. Rushmore' greats.

• Oh Yeah! 1

10 minutes ago, Madcows said:

I can't remember where I saw the comparison but if you compare the numbers between Luka and Lebron for either first 5 seasons or at age 23, Luka was a head in all categories, or at least in at least 95% of the comps. Lebron may have been a head in blocks, and there wasn't much else. Luka is under appreciated for how great he is. Especially when looking at his numbers to some of the 'Mt. Rushmore' greats.

Ironically, Lebron has been a huge Luka fan and supporter since Day 1.  That's tremendous recognition over the years.  Even if not needed.

I don't think Luka is underrated. I think he gets lots of attention and hyperbole, not to mention the start over Stephen Curry in the All Star game. He just won't enter the Greatness debate until his team makes a bigger splash in the playoffs. IIRC, Michael Jordan survived 7 seasons of "Big Stats, No Rings"  himself. 

Other players, including Jokic, are putting the bug in his ear: he may have to leave Dallas to elevate his status. 

17 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I don't think Luka is underrated. I think he gets lots of attention and hyperbole, not to mention the start over Stephen Curry in the All Star game. He just won't enter the Greatness debate until his team makes a bigger splash in the playoffs. IIRC, Michael Jordan survived 7 seasons of "Big Stats, No Rings"  himself. 

Other players, including Jokic, are putting the bug in his ear: he may have to leave Dallas to elevate his status. 

We all know the type of guy who can absolutely dominate a pickup game because of immense talent and skill. That's Luka. Tenacious with talent and training, but lacking in the illustrious "X" factor of leadership and greatness that makes everyone around him great towards actual wins and team success. Style of game is very different, but style of character isn't much different than a James Harden, Russell Westbrook, etc. 

1 hour ago, Lorewarn said:

We all know the type of guy who can absolutely dominate a pickup game because of immense talent and skill. That's Luka. Tenacious with talent and training, but lacking in the illustrious "X" factor of leadership and greatness that makes everyone around him great towards actual wins and team success. Style of game is very different, but style of character isn't much different than a James Harden, Russell Westbrook, etc. 

Yeah, I've never known what to make of Harden, Westbrook, and Chris Paul. They will all be first ballot hall-of-famers, and maybe they're unlucky to have never won a championship.....or maybe it's something in their game and how they mesh with other players, including other great players. A little early on Luka, but you may be right. As much as I love Damian Lillard, he might be another court wizard more famous for his highlight reel than his teams' success. Milwaukee was supposed to cure that. 

Let's say you're a Sacramento, Oklahoma City, Knicks or Orlando with young talent and playoff aspirations. Would you trade one or more of your young cogs for a definitive superstar like Luka?  Does that take both you and Luka over the hump?  

Speaking of jaw-dropping gym rats, how come Mac McGlung can win two consecutive Slam Dunk contests in front of the NBA's finest and still fail to get out of the G-League?  He has a highlight reel of assists, too. 

My best guess is that he gets torched on defense. But I may be wrong about that. Seems he would be a low-cost crowd pleaser at the very least.  

My thoughts on fixing the All Star game revolve around turning into a half court 3v3 tournament:

- 8 top vote getters are captains

- Draft a team of 3 from the 16 remaining All Stars

- First round and Quarterfinals are on Saturday, with the skills competition

- Semis and Finals are on Sunday, with the Dunk and 3 point contests

- Winners get $1 million, 2nd place gets $750,000, 3rd $500,000 and taper down from there. 

• Fire 1
On 2/22/2024 at 9:57 AM, Guy Chamberlin said:

Speaking of jaw-dropping gym rats, how come Mac McGlung can win two consecutive Slam Dunk contests in front of the NBA's finest and still fail to get out of the G-League?  He has a highlight reel of assists, too. 

My best guess is that he gets torched on defense. But I may be wrong about that. Seems he would be a low-cost crowd pleaser at the very least.  

He's been on a couple NBA rosters before.  I think he was with Philly last year or the year before.  2-way roster spots are generally reserved for young guys with high upside that teams are trying to develop into rotation players in 1-2 years.  He's also just 6'2", which yes means he probably won't be able to guard most NBA players, and at that height his shooting numbers would almost assuredly drop in the NBA from what they are in G-League.

I don't think he's part of an NBA championship roster, but you can't tell me he'd be any more of a liability than Jordan Poole is on the Wizards, and for much much cheaper.

On 2/22/2024 at 9:26 AM, Lorewarn said:

Lacking illustrious X factor of leadership? of greatness that makes everyone around him great towards winning and team success? 

Eh, I would love to hear your perspective and for you to elaborate on that.

He is not the volume shooter you think he is.  Luka is not cut from the same cloth of players like Carmelo Anthony, James Harden, Westrbook.  

Ask any teammate and you will hear how he makes the game easier for them.  He is always the focal point for defenders and often gets doubled teamed.

He just hasn't had a supporting cast of talent and depth around him.  Until now.  

How many guys has Mark Cuban put on the roster that have been mid-average or simply average players around him? 

Who is the wing defender on the Mavs?  Who is a rim protector Center and puts up 15-25 points with Luka's pick-n-roll? 

Who coaches and substitutes, by sitting Luka out the first 5-6 minutes of the 4th quarter and first 6-7 minutes of the 2nd quarter?  (Still the worse coaching decision thought process ever - J. Kidd).  Night after night, game after game. 

Well fortunately for me and you and others, the Mavs finally addressed their weaknesses by making good trades.  JP Washington & Daniel Gafford.  And we can now see it all as it should have been.

Washington is a 6-7 wing defender with 7-2 wingspan, and can score on offense (15ppg).  Gafford is a real, big body center that can score on his own, but thrives with Luka.  Gafford is tough and physical and blocks shots, but scores points.  While rookie center Derek Lively can play 25 minutes stress free as backup/starter for now.  He has been thriving as a pick-n-roll finisher and rim protector at 19 yrs old.  

Plus K.Irving is totally onboard being the robin to batman (Luka) and can light the scoreboard up.  They are building chemistry and becoming the best duo in the league.

As to your point, Luka just hasn't had players around him.  

Dwight Powell at Center ??  He is the easiest defender to drive past on in the league for the last 5 years.  That's his center.

Hardaway Jr? Maxi Kleber?  Dorian Finney-Smith?  Reggie Bullock?  Dinwiddie? Christian Wood?  JaVale McGee? Porzingis? Josh Green?  Kemba Walker?  Hardy?  

There have been dozens of them, names of guys and all nice players.  Good players at times.  But just roster budget guys. 

These  and not players a championship owner would put together.  See LA Lakers, Golden State, Boston, Denver, Phoenix.

Since Dallas won a championship, it has been the same thing.  Let great guys go, blow up the chemistry, make money and be like  "here is our budget, these are some nice players, but we need to try and win and keep fans in the seats".

Luka just wants to win man.  Score 40 or dish out 20 assist, he doesn't care.  

But trust me, this trade for JP Washington and Gafford is going to make a difference.  Just wait and you will see.  Luka has a supporting cast that is pretty strong for once. 

15 hours ago, The Murphinator said:

Unreal the things he is doing. And he does it so often we have started to become numb to it. One of the best to ever play this game.

Nuggets appear to be rounding into form.  I honestly had last night chalked up as a loss (even took the Warriors in a pick em before the game) to a hot Warriors team trying to avoid the seconds straight season sweep.  Warriors jumped out with Klay turning back the clock.  Nuggets just kind of imposed their will and fell into their 2 man game and 3v2 high-low.  Look pretty locked in at the moment.