NBA 2023-24

41 minutes ago, admo said:

Dang, LeBron finding the fountain of youth!  Scored 46 the other night.  He's turned it up and been on fire most of the year.  Although he's not a top 2-3 MVP candidate at all, he's putting in the work!  

With a healthy Anthony Davis, LeBron is back in the hunt.

But two quarters into his first game in weeks, AD rolls his ankle. A healthy Anthony Davis is an all-time NBA great, but the dude has a history of not being there when you need him. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, admo said:

Dang, LeBron finding the fountain of youth!  Scored 46 the other night.  He's turned it up and been on fire most of the year.  Although he's not a top 2-3 MVP candidate at all, he's putting in the work!  

Who is your 2-3?   Based solely on numbers and importance, LeBron should be in the mix.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, sho said:

Who is your 2-3?   Based solely on numbers and importance, LeBron should be in the mix.

He is in the mix fo sho ;)chuckleshuffle

Usual suspects 1, 2, 3  (Giannis, Embid, Jokic, Luka, Tatum) no particular order.  LeBron in the mix but Lakers are 13th in the standings right now. 

History has reminded us every day of the season (and specifically those NBA voices on ESPN & Fox) that you are not an MVP if your team is 7th, aka Luka Doncic.  The Lakers are sub .500 team.  Not an MVP.  Unless you bend the rules for LeBron.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

If you are looking for qualities that warrant a long-term contract, Kyrie brings the opposite.

Kyrie's step-mother is his agent, and I'm sure they will declare this a victory and shame the Nets for holding off on the contract extension, but my understanding is that this is still a late-season rental for the Mavericks and Kyrie goes back on the market in June, expecting something in the 4 year, $200 million neighborhood. 

It's a low-risk gamble for the Mavs, but even if they have a great post-season run with Kyrie, the math is always how many months before he creates drama and distraction?

Is any team going to match the offer he wanted from Brooklyn, the team he betrayed with his jackholeishness? 

• Plus1 1

I'd say that Dallas has fully embraced the "We won't play defense, we'll outscore everyone" strategy. I don't think Kyrie will be there long enough to blow stuff up like he normally does, but we'll see. And I saw a rumor about the Suns being interested in KD again. I can't even imagine what a team would have to give up to get him.

Also, as a Nuggets fan, I hate scheduled losses. The NBA needs to examine these back to back game situations; it can't be good for the game, especially for the fans. 

• Plus1 1

On 2/3/2023 at 7:11 PM, Guy Chamberlin said:

You're cruel.

The dude can ball and has some of the best handles in the history of the game, but he poisons every situation he comes into. 

This is why the Lakers will grab him.

Lakers dodge a bullet.   Weird fit for him in Dallas.

• Plus1 1
37 minutes ago, AZRaiderH8r said:

Also, as a Nuggets fan, I hate scheduled losses. The NBA needs to examine these back to back game situations; it can't be good for the game, especially for the fans. 

It's not good for the players and so it's not good for the game. There's a pretty simple solution: go back to a 72 game season. 

But it's probably not that simple, since it would give up 160 some games a season of arena and TV revenue, and the owners -- even as rich as they are -- would be expected to lower player salaries in return. I just don't think players and agents will see it that way. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Cdog923 said:

Are road back-to-backs a thing? I'm not terribly well-versed in NBA scheduling details to know. 

Yes, that is still a thing.  As an example, OKC is playing Golden St tonight and playing LA Lakers tomorrow.   Tomorrow's game tickets are going for upwards of $75,000 to potentially see LBJ get the all-time scoring record.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

Breaking:  ESPN Sources: Nets-Mavs trade still hasn’t been made official with league office......:blink:   because Nets are evaluating opportunities to expand deal w/ a third team.....:blink:  Teams are expected to make two-way deal official in next couple of hours – unless Nets find something bigger to fold into it. :blink:

The NBA is so full s#!t and drama.  The Kyrie-to-Dallas trade is on pause (from becoming official).  Of course it wasn't widely approved by anyone that follows the NBA.  

But how low does the NBA and ESPN have to sink to?

ESPN well-known TV sportswriter and columnist Michael Wilbon sat down and interviewed Lebron James about it.  :blink:  Why?  

Lebron to Wilbon:

"I can't sit here and say I'm not disappointed on not being able to land such a talent, but [also] someone that I had great chemistry with, and know I got great chemistry with on the floor, that can help you win championships, in my mind, in my eyes," James told ESPN's Michael Wilbon as part of a wide-ranging interview Monday. "But my focus is shifted now. My focus is shifted back to where it should be and that's this club now and what we have in the locker room."

The Lakers were one of a handful of teams to aggressively pursue Irving after the eight-time All-Star requested a trade

I mean - when the NBA makes a trade between teams, they usually don't send a Senior Sportswriter Authority guy like Wilbon to interview a player for his reaction to it (a sensitive puff piece).... and put a trade on pause for now..........   But here is your NBA and ESPN entertainment news....

https://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=35602902

• suh_fan93 changed the title to NBA 2023-24