NBA 2023-24

3 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

It's not good for the players and so it's not good for the game. There's a pretty simple solution: go back to a 72 game season. 

But it's probably not that simple, since it would give up 160 some games a season of arena and TV revenue, and the owners -- even as rich as they are -- would be expected to lower player salaries in return. I just don't think players and agents will see it that way. 

You are 100% right. I can't see the owners saying okay to that lost revenue. Instead, they will just roll out a watered down roster. It sucks for the fans. Imagine somehow being a Nugget fan who lives in Minnesota. You buy tickets to see the team in their one visit to your area that season (or one of a few), but because they played the night before and had a tip off 22 hours later (which I thought was against the CBA), you get to see one starter play and a bunch of bench players. It's a bummer.

I get that this is going to make me sound like an old dude yelling at the neighborhood kids to get off his lawn, but I just don't remember players taking games off in the old days.

• Plus1 1

19 hours ago, AZRaiderH8r said:

You are 100% right. I can't see the owners saying okay to that lost revenue. Instead, they will just roll out a watered down roster. It sucks for the fans. Imagine somehow being a Nugget fan who lives in Minnesota. You buy tickets to see the team in their one visit to your area that season (or one of a few), but because they played the night before and had a tip off 22 hours later (which I thought was against the CBA), you get to see one starter play and a bunch of bench players. It's a bummer.

I get that this is going to make me sound like an old dude yelling at the neighborhood kids to get off his lawn, but I just don't remember players taking games off in the old days.

The scheduled rest day is one of my fears coming up.   Being in Nebraska, and a Lakers fan, it's hard to go to a game.  I've scheduled a trip to Chicago to watch them, and I'll be really disappointed if they (either team) rests some of their stars.

• Plus1 1
59 minutes ago, sho said:

The scheduled rest day is one of my fears coming up.   Being in Nebraska, and a Lakers fan, it's hard to go to a game.  I've scheduled a trip to Chicago to watch them, and I'll be really disappointed if they (either team) rests some of their stars.

I feel for you Sho. I took my son to the Lakers game last year because he really wanted to see Lebron. Not only did he not play, dude didn't even make the trip.

• Plus1 1

So, wednesday night the Mavericks play the LA Clippers, and it will be Kyrie Irving's first game in a Dallas uni....

A few strong thoughts come to my mind

- Luka is still recovering from a lower leg injury and won't be a part of Kyrie's debut.  That's a bummer, but Doncic is expected to return pretty soon.

- Since nobody has embraced this trade (media and fans and some superstars across the league) <and for awhile, me too!>  I hope the Mavs win and Kyrie drops 40 points and 10 assists.  Just to piss everyone off :)

- And then, I hope Luka and Kyrie become the greatest tandem duo in NBA, since the likes of Jordan & Pippen, Bird and McHale, Isiah Thomas and Bill Laimbeer, Magic and Jabbar, Kiki Vandeweghe and Alex English, Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady,  Allen Iverson and Allen Iverson...   chuckleshufflechuckleshuffle

I hope it turns up and the Mavericks troll the league after the all-star break!

(side note:  The playoffs don't give me much hope for them.  Except, you can win if you make shots and that is the only way to win in this "entertainment" sport without the NBA & refs getting involved.  Unfortunately for the Mavs and it's roster, a 1st round exit is what I still expect)

Kyrie has been a cancer everywhere he's been.  I think him and Luka will be oil and water.     And found it interesting that as soon as he was traded, he deleted his apology on IG for promoting hate speech.  He's got all the talent in the world, he's intelligent, but he's a headcase and destroys every team he's been on.

• Plus1 1

10 hours ago, admo said:

So, wednesday night the Mavericks play the LA Clippers, and it will be Kyrie Irving's first game in a Dallas uni....

A few strong thoughts come to my mind

- Luka is still recovering from a lower leg injury and won't be a part of Kyrie's debut.  That's a bummer, but Doncic is expected to return pretty soon.

- Since nobody has embraced this trade (media and fans and some superstars across the league) <and for awhile, me too!>  I hope the Mavs win and Kyrie drops 40 points and 10 assists.  Just to piss everyone off :)

- And then, I hope Luka and Kyrie become the greatest tandem duo in NBA, since the likes of Jordan & Pippen, Bird and McHale, Isiah Thomas and Bill Laimbeer, Magic and Jabbar, Kiki Vandeweghe and Alex English, Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady,  Allen Iverson and Allen Iverson...   chuckleshufflechuckleshuffle

I hope it turns up and the Mavericks troll the league after the all-star break!

(side note:  The playoffs don't give me much hope for them.  Except, you can win if you make shots and that is the only way to win in this "entertainment" sport without the NBA & refs getting involved.  Unfortunately for the Mavs and it's roster, a 1st round exit is what I still expect)

Love the glass half full attitude! I on the other hand am looking forward to it crashing and burning in epic fashion, with Kyrie torching yet another franchise because he's a self-absorbed, arrogant, hateful nut job. 

21 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

giving lebron a 15 minute award ceremony in the middle of a game that his team ends up losing is absolute peak NBA

His team was going to lose either way.  I'm a huge Lakers fan, and this team is just a hot mess.  Buss and Pelinka have put a team together that doesn't work.   It's just a bad product.

Remember when the NBA stepped in and prevented Chris Paul from joining the Lakers?

I honestly don't know how they got away with it.

It immediately turned the Clippers franchise around, which might have been good for basketball, but I don't know how you defend that move to an owner, or where it fits in the dozens of superstar trades since that went unchallenged. 

1 hour ago, AZRaiderH8r said:

This sucks. Just when we're thinking that Denver has a legitimate shot this year, it just became a whole lot more difficult. New owner for the Suns is not messing around. 

As a Warriors fan I'm not looking forward to it either.

From everything I've read about the new Suns owner.....he's a really good guy. 

22 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

giving lebron a 15 minute award ceremony in the middle of a game that his team ends up losing is absolute peak NBA

We were wondering what it must have felt like to the OKC players, coming to a dead stop with :54 seconds left in the third quarter of a tight game, expected to stand around a watch an opposing player be treated like a God.

Then we found out. OKC didn't give a s#!t. They didn't lose focus. They were the better team. They won the actual game. 

• suh_fan93 changed the title to NBA 2023-24