Governor Races

Interesting article on Kari Lake.   Is she a danger?  Think Trump ideas but all in a polished and well groomed persona that has the communication skills to

state those ideas.

Sounds like the Dems got what they wished (a GOP Wacko:blink: candidate) and now regret it as Lake has tied or moved ahead

of the Dem candidate - who is pretty lackluster in comparison to Lake.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/is-arizona-s-kari-lake-the-most-dangerous-politician-in-america/ar-AA13lsHT?ocid=entnewsntp&cvid=29fc1aaca9e343069aee58db1b084be0

“If you get a candidate who has the performance skills of a major-market local TV anchor and the philosophy and thinking of Steve Bannon, that’s a potent and dangerous combination,” Barack Obama guru David Axelrod told the site. “Look at Italy."

By last weekend, Lake was sparring with Dana Bash live on CNN — and sparking yet another media tizzy by refusing to say that she will accept the result if she loses in November.

“I’m going to win the election and I will accept that result,” Lake said (twice).

It remains to be seen, of course, whether she can actually defeat her opponent, Democrat Katie Hobbs. Long considered the frontrunner, Hobbs, the Arizona secretary of state, made her own national headlines for holding the line against relentless right-wing efforts to overturn Trump’s 2020 loss there.

Until recently, Hobbs had never trailed Lake in the polls; in August, she led by an average of 7 percentage points. But now it’s Lake who appears to have the momentum and a modest lead.

Part of the problem, local observers say, is that the subdued, soft-spoken Hobbs has proved to be a limp campaigner whose unwillingness to debate Lake has become almost as much of an issue as the issues themselves.

“Hobbs is a mediocre Democratic politician, and she’s running a mediocre race,” Robert Robb, a longtime columnist for the Arizona Republic and a former GOP political consultant, told Yahoo News. “So it’s no surprise that Lake’s competitive. It's still a Republican-leaning state in a Republican-leaning year.”

But others see Lake’s own telegenic talent as the bigger factor. The national media has made much of what one might call her style: the “familiar pixie cut”; the large silver cross she took to wearing “for protection” shortly before she announced her campaign; the “impossibly smooth” skin showcased in “ethereal” campaign videos. And then there’s the power of her voice — “deep but still feminine; firm, even severe, but smooth,” as the Atlantic put it. “Like black tea with a little honey.”

“She’s a local celebrity,” Arizona pollster and political consultant Paul Bentz told Yahoo News. “She’s great with an audience. She’s great on camera. She’s a more polished version of Trump. And because of all that, she's put herself in a position where she’s tied this thing up.”

It's just amazing to me that people who actually listen to Lake, Walker, Oz, Johnson et all think that any of them is qualified for the role.  One should be forced to just read transcripts and not watch their TV prescence and then explain what they just read.  Can't be done.  Hershel doesn't have the ability, Lake is an excellent spinner and for some reason the others are just being excused.  I'm disgusted with my fellow americans.

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1

My governor in Oklahoma may lose to the Dem candidate - who I am voting for.  It will be the shocker of the election night if it happens.

A Joy Hofmeister, a  moderate GOP person who became a Dem last year to run against Gov Stitt.  

https://www.rawstory.com/kevin-stitt-2658582586/

"Oklahoma Governor Kevin Stitt was supposed to cruise to re-election," Eric Cortellessa reported for Time magazine. "Yet the Republican Governors Association has just released a seven-figure ad buy to help Stitt over the finish line. And prominent Republicans like Florida Governor Ron DeSantis and Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas are rushing to his side, as party leaders fear Oklahoma might be the site of one of the biggest upsets of the midterms."

Joy Hofmeister, the superintendent of Oklahoma’s public school system, is the Democratic Party nominee after being a Republican until last year, blunting GOP messages attempting to link her to President Joe Biden.

“I was a Republican longer than Governor Stitt was registered to vote,” she told the magazine. “I’m fiscally conservative. I’m aggressively moderate. Always have been.”

• Thanks 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1
20 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

Good  I hope Desantis is defeated and his presidential aspirations are flushed with him:FourStar::flush  and Trump is in jail to.  Then maybe we get a real primary wt a few moderate GOP candidates and a few less far right candidates 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1